Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Mon, Jun 1, 2020 8:57 PM

@Juniper Hardware question

We have HR34-700, 2x HR24-100 and C41FW-100. We have examined most of the streaming services in hopes of cord cutting and found DTV with physical DVRs is still the best product for our needs. We have the 2 extra HDDVR for extra tuners and storage. It's time for hardware improvement. Last tech came out when channels weren't working and he upgraded our dish due to the wrong LNB from 2012 (He called it a legacy change). He changed our Mini but did not have a new Genie (HR44 or 54) to swap for us at the time. 1) Are the HR24 the best HDDVR available as supplemental units? Ours are from 2012. 2)I've read in your other posts that swapping to HR44 should not create a new contract. Is this correct even if the HR34 is still functioning? 3)We want to reduce our plan to Select. I saw a new pricing tier page as of today 6/1/20. Can you confirm? Do you know if reducing our plan will create a new contract? 4) If I want to future proof our DTV hardware to HR54 for 4K, is the current Mini sufficient? How do I check if I have 7 SWM? Should I have any other concerns I'm not thinking of?

Responses

Cstarman922

Employee

• 

560 Messages

a month ago

1) the HR24 is the latest stand alone HDDVR model available.

2) if the HR34 is swapped for a HR44 or HR54 on a service call there is no extension or creation of a contract.

3) I'm not sure about this one, someone else may jump on here with an answer.

4) for 4k you would need the HR54, which itself does not output 4k, and c61k clients at each tv where you want to view 4k content. This would put you back into a 1 year agreement with DirecTv. I wouldn't be too occupied with 4k as there are only a couple 4k channels and it has been that way for a while now.

Edit: I'm not sure what a swim7 is. But your current lnb, eye on the dish, will be able to handle 4k. 4k used to require a reverse band lnb but this is no longer the case. Also, only one client at a time would be able to use 4k.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a month ago

Changing the channel package doesn't start a new contract.

All Genies are SWM only and you have a 13 tuner SWM LNB as you are using 9 tuners.

The C61K mini is wired only.

Call DTV and tell them the HR34 is dead and to ship a replacement for $20 it will have to be an HR44/54.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

HR24 is the last regular HDDVR made. Though no longer a model required to be returned, it is a fine model, especially since it gives more capability than a Mini Genie Client.

HR34, HR44, HR54 are all Genie (like for like). A warranty replacement gets same model or newer, with no service agreement renewed. The HR34 was long discontinued because of sub-standard importance, so only the HR44 and HR54 (or revised HR54R1) are available depending on stock.

Your Mini Genie model number is incorrect, there is no F. Either you have C41 which is wired, or C41W which is the 1st gen wireless.

The only 4K model is the C61K, which is not wireless. Regular wired, wireless, and the 4K models are not like for like. So 4K would be an upgrade that comes with a 24 month service agreement. It would require swapping your HR34 to the HR54 to be compatible. As there are only a couple channels in 4K, and a few PPVs, I would consider warranty replacing the HR34 and using your upgrade to swap the Mini Genie for an HDDVR for the added tuners and recording space.

SWM-4, SWM-8, SWM-16 are your Single Wire Multiswitch. This is what supports all your tuners. With a Genie and 2 HDDVRs you are at 9 tuners, so should have the SWM-16.

You can change your package at any time. Changing the package never affects the service agreement. Base costs on the packages have only changed once a year, going into affect in January with notice of the new prices in December. Have not heard of any change in price tiers this month. What page did are you referring to?

If you still consider a 4K upgrade, here are details you need just in case.

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

DirecTV Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs)

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

A couple final notes.

If you replace your Genie (HR34), by warranty replacement or part of the 4K upgrade, the recordings on it do not transfer. So be caught up first.

If you connect your current setup to your home internet, for the On Demand features, by a wireless connection you would need to remove the wireless CCK. This is because all Genies after the HR34 have it built-in, and keeping the old external accessory would cause conflicts. The external only supports the 2.4Ghz frequency, but the internal one can use that or 5Ghz as well (if your router supports it). A wired connection is still preferred over wireless as a more reliable technology of course (same with wireless Client vs other boxes).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

@Juniper Thanks! I'm no longer interested in 4K so the HR44 will be a good replacement. The DVRs are connected to the internet via ethernet (the black powered adapter looks like a bar of soap DCA2SR0-18). The Mini (C41W-100) is wireless and the bridge is WVBR0-25. Which Mini do I need to replace the C41W to work with the HR44? Will the other hardware I have need replacing?

Cstarman922

Employee

• 

560 Messages

That mini and bridge will work with all the Genie models (HR34, HR44, HR54).
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

Only the C61K has a main Genie requirement. All others, including the WVB accessory, work with all models of main Genie.

A warranty replacement would get the HR44 or HR54. Just depends on stock availability. The only significant difference between them is HR54 supporting 4K. But they are both a huge update to the HR34 in performance. So replacing the HR34 would not require changing anything else.

If an agent offers, do NOT order the Genie-2 (HS17). This forbids HDDVRs from being on the account so would lose all your recordings and downgrade you to 7 tuners. Plus this is a new line of equipment so counts as an upgrade with a 24 month service agreement.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Followed everyone's instructions and received the warranty swap HR54 to replace the 34. Thank you! Now with new questions:

1) How do I get the app to reacquire/refresh the new HR54. I changed the name of the new Genie. It sees 3 DVR but still lists the old Genie RID and name in the app. The local IP address for the new HR54 is the same as the old 34.

2) We found the update UI with a couple changes. Is there a way to toggle local and whole home playlists from the client/mini? We noticed this was removed changed. I found how to make the changes on the Genie but not the client.

3) ATT describes the ability to change recording device from the on screen UI. Supposed to be an option to change which DVR you want to store it if not the one you're on. I've found the options to adjust recording to on time etc, but not to change the DVR. Is this possible? Am I missing a setting in whole home set up?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

No DirecTV box can change which one you record on. All Clients record on the Genie as they are extensions of it. To record on a different HDDVR, you must set the recording on that box instead.

On the new GUI, when in the list of recordings go to the menu list on the left and go into Manage Recordings. The option you want is Playlist Share Settings. That will have the option to where the playlist can show All or just for the Genie (Local).

You may need to unplug power from your modem (and router if not a combo unit) for a minute. Since you've already connected the replacement Genie go into Menu > Settings > Internet > Advanced > Reset Network Defaults. Then reboot the box. If you have a wired connection, unplug from the modem/router. Once everything is rebooted then setup the connection on the HR54. Hopefully this will result in fresh connection info instead of the router still counting it as the prior box. Reinstall app if needed of course with this processes.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Thanks Juniper!  I was reading here:

https://www.directpackages.com/how-to/how-to-record-in-multiple-rooms-with-directv/

I'm guessing this is old and the feature was never implemented.  I thought I missed something.

Choose Which Room to Record Via Whole-Home DVR service

You can record programs from multiple TVs in other rooms than the one connected to the HD DVR.

1. Pull up the guide or run a search until you find the desired programming. Highlight it and press the RECORD button (the orange R).
  2. This calls a prompt where you are asked to select the DVR you want to record from. Use ARROW KEYS and SELECT to choose.
  3. Once you have chosen which room and TV, press SELECT to confirm.

Get started...

Ask a new question