Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
L

• 

1 Message

Sat, Jan 23, 2021 5:38 PM

If I upgrade my receiver, can the existing recorded shows be transferred?

I have the equipment protection plan and am eligible for the latest equipment.

However, I do not want to lose things we have recorded on our existing equipment.

If we upgrade equipment, can the existing recorded shows be transferred to the new equipment?

One of your agents says yes, and even explained how that works. Another just told me no.

Whis is the correct answer?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

17.1K Messages

a month ago

The correct answer is no, there is no way to transfer the recordings to the new equipment.  You can copy them one at a time to a VCR or DVD recorder, only in standard definition.

What equipment do you have that you are thinking of upgrading.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25.6K Messages

a month ago

Recordings are encrypted to their exact DVR. Replacing the DVR (warranty or upgrade) means you lose recordings from that box. Alternatively you can record in real time using the old fashion way (such as VCR) from what is playing. Only allowed in SD, so do not connect by HDMI.

You get free upgrades with or without the protection plan. It just tells agents an exact date ahead of time. Without it, typically it must be at least 2 years since you last upgrade with account in good standing.

An upgrade doesn't mean "latest equipment". It means different than what you have now, or adding a TV. And remember, the latest equipment is not necessarily the best for your setup (if at all).

To make sure you get the best option for your upgrade, including not replacing any boxes you don't need to, then get some guidance here before you call DirecTV.

What are the models of each box you have now?

Are you adding any TVs?

Are you looking for anything specific out of an upgrade, or just optimizing in general?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question