Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

1 Message

Sun, Feb 16, 2020 7:25 PM

HR34-700 Error 14-725

I came home to find a problem with my Genie DVR. Unit would not power on with the remote. Remove Power to the unit, and reapply, system reported hot, but was able to cool down enough to start diagnostics. Last screen reported a hard drive issue, and asked to choose reboot or call CS # and give them the error code #14-725

I only have this unit, and a C31-700

Should I call in and request a replacement, or is there something else I should try?

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

2 months ago

Diagnostic codex 14-XXX refer to internal storage error. That means a problem with the hard drive.

The HR34 is the 1st generation Genie and overheating, as well as slowness over time, were common issues.

Call DirecTV and request a warranty replacement. You will get either the HR44 or HR54 (or possibly HR54R1). Later models have faster processor and redesigned for more efficient cooling, resulting in a sleeker box. Delivery is $19.95 or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan.

As a note if you used Caller ID on TV, that outdated feature is removed in the later models (they stopped including the phone jack port).

Agent should inform you the 1st generation is non-returnable, so you can recycle your Genie. Just remove access card before doing so as you might get an envelope to return, otherwise can dispose of securely like a credit card.

I would also consider upgrading your Mini Genie Client (C31) to a HDDVR. Many reason is when Genie cannot work, then Clients cannot either as they are extensions of it. A regular HDDVR has 2 tuners with its own processing, plus 500GB recording space, so if one box goes down it doesn't automatically kill the other. No difference in monthly cost, but come with a 24 months service agreement of course. Just an option to think about.

Do NOT upgrade to the Genie-2 (HS17) as it has built-in restrictions and bugs not completely squashed. Mainly it forbids HDDVRs, so would always be a single point of failure with Clients only.

(edited)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…