Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Feb 1, 2016 3:09 PM

How to autotune on a genie

Hi I'm a Mastec employee as a Directv installer, wondering if the genie is capable of autotune like the regular HD receivers?

Autotune is a great feature customers miss it when upgrading to genie system.

Ty

Responses

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

a year ago

No, DVRS do NOT have autotune. Only receivers.

You shouldn't accuse someone of being stupid, particularly when you're wrong.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

a year ago

@doodle0412 wrote:

Yes DVR have had autotuned. Maybe with hold your comments if you are that stupid.

Wow, such a polite response.

DirecTV DVRs have never had "autotune". If you're so sure, tell us which model numbers. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
doodle0412

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

a year ago

Just real tired of all the stupidity here. If you don't know something don't claim you do. That is stupid.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

a year ago

@doodle0412 wrote:

Just real tired of all the stupidity here. If you don't know something don't claim you do. That is stupid.

You're the one making incorrect claims. Substantiate your claim that DirecTV DVRs ever had Autotune feature. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a year ago

@doodle0412 wrote:

Yes DVR have had autotuned. Maybe with hold your comments if you are that stupid.

DirecTV DVRs do NOT have Autotune. Only DirecTV non-DVRs have it. If you are referring to another company, do not expect DirecTV to have the exact same options.

Try being an adult with your comments and be civil.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a year ago

DirecTV DVRs do not have Autotune, but their non-DVR boxes do. You can have both types of boxes on your setup, except for the Genie-2 (HS17) that only allow Clients which are extensions of their main DVR.

It would be nice if a DirecTV box had both DVR and Autotune in one, but so far they have chosen not to do so. It is unknown if simply a business decision to not have both, or there were issues with tuner conflicts with how their DVRs are designed.

Bottom line is DVRs (including Genie and their Clients) do not have Autotunes, but non-DVR receivers do have Autotune. You can still get HD non-DVRs, latest model H25, to use and can be mixed with other Genies and HDDVRs. The only exception is their Genie-2 (HS17) as that one forbids other receivers from being on the account to begin with, which limits options.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I too just traded “up” to a genie without knowing that there was no auto tune feature!!

I never thought that ATT would take away a feature that was one of the best parts of using the system!!

Never was mentioned that auto tune was not part of the genie!!

I have been a Directv customer forever! Had primestar before that! Can’t believe they would not provide such a great feature! And they know when we switch they have us for 2 years!

I never have wanted to go to a competitor but I sure am thinking about it now! And apparently ATT could care less!!

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a month ago

AT&T has nothing to do with DTV DVRs never having autotune.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

@Glockalot 

Only non-DVRs having Autotune is the way DirecTV has been well before AT&T acquired them. It is a niche feature, so most agents don't think about it (or might not know of it) to educate a customer that DVR capability replaces it.

As long as you have a regular Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) and not the Genie-2 (HS17), you can have other receivers on the account. So you could have a setup with a mix of DVRs for recording and HD non-DVRs for Autotune.

Doesn't matter how much an agent "cares" or not. They cannot give a box a feature it wasn't built with.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a month ago

Not so much a niche as way back when DTV  had no recording options so autotune was used to change the channels when connected to a VHS/BETA tape recorder that was setup to record from channel 3/4 at whatever time before they partnered with TiVo and they used an IR blaster to change the DTV receiver channels

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

It’s the same “excuses” on here for 4 years? Whether or not ATT or Directv has ever offered  a certain kind of box,we know what we had and and even though there are different things we can do with the upgraded,we still know what we can’t do also!! 

I know I was not told that I lost that function with my upgrade? 

I had no idea that I would lose functions when all I was told that all I was going to do was gain a lot of goodies?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

Autotune is an outdated feature that only a small amount of people use. It is not in DVR models, and by association not Clients either. So many agents are not familiar with the option because it doesn't apply to the majority of their customer base.

With DVR you record and watch on your own time. You are doing something and miss the start of a show, then you watch the recording or rewind the buffer. Someone knocks on the door, the phone rings, etc. you pause (including live TV). So DVR works on your schedule and Autotune forces you to be on the TV's schedule. As such DVR has essentially replaced the old feature.

Would have been great if the agent could have given you a head's up so you could decide to go with the Genie or not, or possibly keep certain boxes to have a mix. But they are more familiar with current options then outdated ones. I would suggest if there is a feature you greatly desire, specifically ask about it when considering equipment options.

Get started...

Ask a new question