AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Feb 1, 2016 3:09 PM

How to autotune on a genie

Hi I'm a Mastec employee as a Directv installer, wondering if the genie is capable of autotune like the regular HD receivers?

Autotune is a great feature customers miss it when upgrading to genie system.

Ty

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

brisak

Professor

• 

1.4K Messages

5 years ago

No directv dvrs autotune thats the point of a dvr
Record and watch later.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

2 years ago

@TTUGrad2004 wrote:

Dish network has "autotune, and that is a recordable box. So it's not only non-recordable boxes that have this feature. Just clarifying...

True.  But that's Dish Network. DirecTV DVRs have never had an "Autotune" feature.  They want to you to setup a recording instead. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a year ago

@UnhappyWGenie wrote:

A great loss now that I can not auto-tune.   Genie in a curse in the bottle and a downgrade form what had been.

DirecTV DVRs have never had Autotune as a feature. Yes some people use it, but more record.

Though it does not have that 1 feature, Genie is still an upgrade. Going from 1 tuner to 5 so you can record, Picture in Picture, 1TB hard drive, Mobile DVR to take recordings on the go, access to On Demand. In my opnion recording is better than Autotune, because if you turn on the TV or come into the room late, you don't miss the show. Just press rewind, or even if it is hours later pull up the recording. That way you can watch on your own time.

If you have any Clients, you could replace as desired with an HD non-DVR (H25) to have the Autotune on certain TVs. These boxes can still watch what the Genie, or other HDDVRs, have recorded. That way you could have the options of both. Unfortunately there is not a single DirecTV box that has both DVR and Autotune in one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
brisak

Professor

• 

1.4K Messages

5 years ago

No
JadedRose

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

Sadly, the autotune feature is only available on HD or Standard receivers.

dolphin203

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

5 years ago

That's all well and good, but realistically speaking there has to be some autotuning going on to record the channel...Why not make it available without the recording. One usually uses recording for future or simultaneous programming. Autotuning is a convenience.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

@dolphin203 wrote:

That's all well and good, but realistically speaking there has to be some autotuning going on to record the channel...Why not make it available without the recording. One usually uses recording for future or simultaneous programming. Autotuning is a convenience.

Often requested DVR feature that DirecTV has chosen to continually ignore.  I guess they just figure you should record stuff instead of Autotuning it. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

They need to add the auto tune feature back on the genie receivers!!!
peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Bichon1 the Genie has never had auto-tune. So it can't be added back

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

4 years ago

None of the DirecTV DVRS have had autotune. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Going out of your way to post a snippy response is not what I consider good customer service.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

4 years ago

@aprllea, where's the "snippy response"?  We're customers like you, just helping other customers.  The simple fact is that DVRs don't have Autotune.  

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

4 years ago

@aprllea

I'm assuming you were responding to Peds. He was clarifying as some people have mistakenly thought some DVRs have had autotune. Also that was a few months ago so no longer relevent.

What is relevent since this does keep getting brought up:

Directv DVRs/HDDVRs/Genies/Clients (any box that records) does not, and has not had autotune. That is a function of non-DVR (non recordable) boxes. Though some people have requested the feature carry over, Directv has chose not to include it in the DVRs and instead focus on the recording capability.

I believe recording is better as if something happens to where you for whatever reason catch the show a few minutes in, or cannot watch until later, having it auto-tuned to the channel would not help as you still missed it. But having it recorded, or recording if you are just catching it late, you can watch from the beginning the entire program. So options for convience, but not taking too much control away from the user by including unnecessary automation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I am just now realizing that my DTV Genie does not have the ability to autotune. I think the point that is being missed is this: autotune is super important to some people because it allows you to plan out your viewing schedule without having to record stuff. For example, I may want to finish watching a show on one channel, but watch another show on another channel next. And maybe I want to watch another show on another channel after that. Autotune automatically takes care of that for me, but recording does not.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

4 years ago

Then you will need to add an HXX receiver if you can't live without it.

Get started...

Ask a new question