Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Sep 11, 2017 1:41 AM

How many programs can record at one time?

We had 2 programs recording and were watching football. Another program was set to record and a message came on saying that we had to change channels or it wouldn't record. I thought we could do 5 or 6 at once. Is there a problem with our dvr or can we only do 3?

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

2 years ago

What DVR model do you have?  What other DVR/Receivers?

HR2x DVRs have two tuners.  The Genie DVRs have 5 tuners (except the newest HS17 Genie Server has more).  But with the Genies you'll be limited based on how many mini Genie Client boxes you have.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
goldw1800

ACE - Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

2 years ago

If you have a Genie you can do 5 - Unless you are using a mini in another room and watching a live program - That takes a tuner away from the genie - leaving you with 4 -  (every) mini Watching a live TV -Takes one tuner away from a GENIE - so if you have 3 in use -you can only record 2 shows.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

2 years ago

HDDVRs have 2 tuners.

Genie has 5 tuners. Only one allowed per account, but you can have regular HDDVRs on the other tvs.

Genie-2 (HS17) has 7 tuners, but cannot use regular HDDVRs so that is the max. Still only one allowed per account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

8 months ago

I was also under impression I could record 5 shows on my genie. I had two shows set to record and was watching one of the two. When the second show started I got a message that it had to change channels to record. I did and tried to jump back to previous show and it forced me to cancel recording on one. This hasn’t happened before and I’ve been watching tv before while recording a different channel. How can I fix this?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

Since this thread was brought back up after 7 months....

The Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) can record up to 5 channels at one time. It is a 5 tuner HDDVR. The problem is if you have any Clients. Unlike receivers, Clients each take a tuner from the Genie. The Genie does keep 2 tuners to itself because of the Picture in Picture (PiP) feature. So with each Client being watched, they each take a tuner to do so as they don't have their own tuners.

It is best to have HDDVRs instead of Clients. This is because each one has 2 tuners, 500GB recording space (less space before HR22), and are not dependent on the Genie to work (Genie goes down, so do all Clients). No monthly cost difference between Client and HDDVR (or even HD non-DVR) as you are paying for the authorized TV, not the box. This is unlike Dish where they charge $10 to $17 per box depending what level it is. DirecTV has receiver services for the account and then just the $7 for each additional TV (mirroring) so at multiple TVs it is cheaper, and in my opinion a much simpler billing model.

Genie-2 (HS17) server tower is 7 tuners and as does not have PiP all tuners can be used by Clients. However, it only allows Clients which hard caps the system. A regular Genie with 2 HDDVRs is already 9 tuners, so a more capable and reliable setup. As it forbids HDDVRs, I am heavily against this model as it is very restrictive.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Dish Network has a DVR that can record 16 channels at the same time. Dish is up to date in technology. AT&T Directv is way behind in technology.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

Well then if you feel Dish is better for you, then go ahead. No need to double post in an old thread to do so.

For me personally, and many others, DirecTV is still a better fit than Dish. There are many reasons why I will not use Dish.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Dish Network can record 16 channels at the same time. Dish network is the leading satellite service. Dish network is far advanced in technology above AT&T Directv.

ganto2014

Scholar

• 

305 Messages

@Lil’Cub DTV is working on a better DVR from what i have been hearing!!! DTV is a bigger company than dish to so that means better negotiations on programming contracts to. dish may have 4K but they don't support HDR. dish keeps loosing channels as well!!! i don't think that cable and sat companies are spending to much money on boxes these days with everything going to the cloud!!!

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

@ganto2014

DirecTV has been working on a new DVR? This would be great to hear. I have been hoping since they made all form HDDVRs (thru HR24) non-returnable, that they would finally come out with a SWM-only HDDVR to better support the Genie setups, and H25. Perhaps even finally working with the Genie-2 (or at least a later model of it if the 1st gen HS17 they cannot get smoothed out).

Any place where initial information of this supposedly improved DVR can be found? Would love to see where they are going with this.