Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
R

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Oct 29, 2020 1:44 AM

Help: Moca/Deca ohhh myyyy

I have direct TV Dish but a different internet provider since neither AT&T nor Direct TV have internet in my area. My internet is awful. I was going to use Moca to extend the internet throughout the ethernet cables but, it is looking like that is not possible due to it interfering with the Satellite signal. Does that sound right? I am so baffled by all of this and have spent hundreds of dollars trying to get better internet for my kids that are trying to do Zoom calls with Covid. At this point I am just tired of getting yelled at for the lack of internet due to my kids not being able to stay connected. . .

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

a month ago

DTV has never provided internet service. The DTV SWM system is made to only provide internet to DTV receivers not general use by other devices.  Only your ISP can fix your internet problems.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a month ago

Of course DirecTV does not have internet in your area. They don't have it anywhere, they aren't an internet provider and never have been.

DirecTV's cabling only works with internet to provide On Demand to their own boxes. They are not built for supply internet to other devices. So don't try to use them to extend your internet.

Connected directly by Ethernet is preferred, at bare minimum by Cat5e these days. Alternatively you can use a powerline adapter to use your electrical wiring to keep a wired connection. Provided your wiring is decent, this is usually more stable and higher speed than WiFi. If you use WiFi depends on location and if you have just 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz as well. If your router has 5Ghz, but your wireless device does not then there are WiFi network adapters (such as plugging into a USB port) that are inexpensive which not only help with signal over the built-in one and even supporting 5Ghz if your laptop or such only has 2.4 available.

So comes down to if the internet itself is the problem or if you need to do some simple and inexpensive tweaks to your home network.

And so you don't go to false websites or such, it is DirecTV, not Direct TV. It is only one 'T' in the brand.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Thank you for your response. Have you heard of MOCA? It connects directly through Ethernet to extend internet. My concern is, (I saw it in only one place) does it interfere with or run on the same frequency as my DirecTV signal?

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Thank you for your response. Have you heard of MOCA? It connects directly through Ethernet to extend internet. My concern is, (I saw it in only one place) does it interfere with or run on the same frequency as my DirecTV signal?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a month ago

MOCA or anything else tied into the coax does tend to interfere with DirecTV. It wasn't built to avoid interference from other internet devices. So the coax is for DirecTV only with limited internet connection for their own use (On Demand).

DirecTV's system attempts to use all available bandwidth that goes through the coax. So they would fight each other as DirecTV was never designed to share the coax.

Sorry but you will need to use another option. Directly by Ethernet where able, powerline adapter is a great option for those further devices, and WiFi as a last resort (though not bad if you are 5Ghz capable).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Get started...

Ask a new question