Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jan 24, 2020 6:26 PM

Genie DVR 1 Jan 2020

My DVR is very complicated, why does everything have to be recorded to watch? When I hit playback the first 10-20 seconds after commercial I can't hear and miss a lot of plot's an example..."The person who did it...(no voice just see the mouths moving then 10 seconds later) and that is who did it" I am watching a movie in playback and just at the end, I get the message the playback is about to expire which I miss the last 15 minutes of the movie or tv show that it makes me record off of demand or playback. It offers to watch past seasons of shows and when you click to watch it you have to pay for the first 3-5 seasons. This is the case for new season's as well. I am paying for a very limited service and customer service seriously sends me the run around and I get no answers or want to charge me for a new DVR or pay for a technician to come out, I just started service 10/2019. I had Xfinity and I did not have these issues. What is my options here?

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

3 weeks ago

Playback from the beginning is an option that downloads the program from the channel's On Demand (online) library. The satellite feed itself is a constant (Edited per community guidelines), not something you can playback unless the DVR was tuned into that channel already where it has a buffer built up so you can rewind so far.

Most channels have an On Demand library which is free. However, some channels have added additional PPV content into their libraries on top of what is free, usually episodes of other seasons. This is the individual channel capitalizing on those that binge watch. Supposedly it hasn't remove/replaced the amount of free content, so just charging for the additional programs.

So the live satellite feed (primary) and the On Demand internet connected content (secondary) work differently. A key point is unlike dedicated streaming services that adjust quality based on your internet connection (second to second, or such), On Demand sends the content in the complete full resolution that it is provided at with no downscaling to compensate.

(edited)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.