Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Feb 16, 2019 9:44 PM

Genie 2 issues

Was going to upgrade to the new Genie 2 with 4K and the tech immediately came in and said don't do it.   He said the Genie 2 has too many issues and the newest one is when it updates software it can kick everything into 480i (standard) and cannot be reset back to even HD for days until upgrade again.  plus he said it loses connectivity to the wireless units and all software has to be downloaded again to connect them.  plus during that you may drop back to standard not HD.  sounds like many issues with the Genie 2.. what is your experience?  I am thinking maybe the tech did not want to go up to the dish because it was very cold out?  are these legit issues and best to wait for now?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

11 months ago

Until or if the channels start broadcasting in 4K there will be little in 4K channels coming.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

11 months ago

Agreed!  The HS17 Genie 2 Server is not ready for prime time.  The tech should have set you up with an HR54 Genie DVR + C61K 4K Mini Client for your 4K TV.   Or wait a while. There's hardly any 4K content yet anyway. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 months ago

Yes true.. I did ask him for the HR54 but he did not have any and said the 4K issue was hitting those as well and changing 4K to Standard as well.  Maybe this fall??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

Genie 2 has been working for me with no trouble. I have 2 4k TV's and both are working just fine. Only 1 4k channel with Direct TV so far but when sports is on it, it looks great! Again, no issues with the Ver 17

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

9 months ago

DirecTV has 2 channels in 4K, plus some PPVs.

The Genie-2 (HS17) is certainly improved since launch, though not out of the woods yet. However for many of us it is a horrible design as only allows Clients on the account. Many of us a regular Genie and at least 2 HDDVRs provides more reliability, separate settings as desired, and 9 tuners which is more than the hard cap of 7 tuners the HS17 has.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Agreed, I upgraded to the Genie 2 after the reps said "you have an upgrade with better features." Not sure what happen; but I have MAJOR software issues. Before I list them a tech did come out ran the system check and my hardware is fine no issues. Now of course I am on my second Genie 2. The reason the tech came out was that DirectTV support wanted to replace the system. Each time I have an issue its to replace the system. TV on my 2nd Genie 2, the Digital Alarm System on my 5th Tablet. Each time its the software. The tech said he hopes more people share the issues about the software and finally DirectTV will fix there software and not send systems out that you eventually have same issues again.

Here are my troubles maybe others might have the same issues:

• Directv Channels are locked on one channel
  • Remote stops registering where I cannot switch any channels
  • Then No Server appears and Wifi goes out

Most Recently

• each time I turn on the tv the above issues happen
  • This occurs 4 times per day. If I leave the tv on then each time I turn to a channel its black
  • I never get no error codes
  • Also it will reset and freeze automatically

DirectTv Helpdesk 

• had me repeatedly try to sync up the remote, which did not work just took out my controls for my tv
  • HQ at DirectTv had to restart my Genie 2
  • Technician comes out to house and checked system said its good. He said its the software everything I am experiencing is from the software. He listed all the issues I have. Additionally he said he can replace the hardware but I will have the issues again. Each house he has been to keep having same issues. 

I called Loyalty

• Shared the issue. The Loyalty Rep said he can guarantee that he can send me a new system (this be my 3rd) that I will never have no more issues.
  • I told him lets do this. Check the software (I read my version of the software on my genie) if the new system you want to send me matches the same software I have then do not send it to me. He agreed to make sure there system team will call me if the software in the system they are sending me is the newer one and not what I currently have. I still have not received a call.

Only Solution now:

- I have a $20 credit for this month since I constantly have to reset my Genie 2 about 4+ times per day. The reset takes about 10mins. 

Instructions from Tech Support

• Pull power plug from Genie 2 Tower
  • Wait 10secs plug back in. Just a heads up the reset button does not work with there current software
  • Then after it comes back press the red button on the mini genie boxes on each box that has a tv attached to it.
  • This should last you about 3 hours till you have to reset again. How do you know when to reset your DirectTV  Genie 2. Its when the channel is stuck on one channel and you cannot utilize the remote. Or when you switch channels you get black screen.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

Just to add I did not attempt 4K system that was just announced to me. I just want my Genie 2 HD fixed before attempting to move up to 4K.

• 

1 Message

3 weeks ago

the genie 2 is just plain terrible. Worst thing I ever did was upgrade from the genie 1 to 2. I have had nothing but problems. Unfortunately I signed up for 2 years to get this paperweight. As soon as the 2 years is up, I’m dumping direct tv and this (Edited per community guidelines). I had the same issues with the tech telling me this unit was terrible when installed and I should have listened and back out while I could. They sent the tech out 4 times, replaced the whole unit but it’s the software that’s the issue. Direct tv keeps sending updates to try and fix things but it only causes issues with other features. The last update now causes the wireless genies to freeze for a few seconds every few minutes. This is so annoying while watching live sports. The genies run very slow and will not respond. Will not fast forward. Restarting the genies does nothing. On the main unit be careful if you have multiple shows recorded. If you delete 2 or more shows in the group, the system will delete all of the shows in the folder. This has happened 3 times. I am skipping over several months of issues but you get the idea. Just counting down the days until I can throw this system in the garbage.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

Prime example of why a regular Genie (except 1st gen HR34) is a much more reliable setup, and certainly more powerful with multiple HDDVRs.

Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel". Politely explain to the retention agent that because of the horrible Genie-2 issues you are intending to cancel when the time comes, but might consider staying if they swap you to a regular Genie setup. Hopefully this would get you a HR44 or HR54 (depending on stock, though HR54 guaranteed if you have a 4K Client). If they are able to do this, then this would give you the flexibility to upgrade a wireless client to a HDDVR (wired only) as the additional tuners and independent processing can be a big help, with no difference in monthly cost.

If you do end up leaving, don't throw the boxes in the garbage or you will be looking at a large bill from the non-return fees. You don't own the boxes and all Genies and Clients (except 1st gen HR34 and C31) are returnable (the only non-Genie that is returnable is the H25).

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

2 weeks ago

Hello all,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but here it goes. I had Direct tv for more than 25 years, now owned by AT&T. Anyway, I need to upgrade my receivers so I got the Genie 2 HS17 with 3 mini's and I know their genie 2 server tower has the video bridge built into it. We live in an old house with the attic converted into a room where I live. Anyway, I receive a weak signal but it just enough that I can watch tv and recording's ok during the day. At night when I watch a recording or live tv, my mini receiver reboots 2 to 4 times a night. The light on it Just blinks from green to orange from time to time.

Now I have looked up that it does to a weak server signal and I tested this by swapping the minis. Now I am asking if there is a video signal bridge that I can buy to extend the range or can I just hook up the cable line in my house to extend the range?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

Yes, you can buy a WVB but it has to be connected to the SWM splitter with coax.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

@ Jedi-Yogi

You can have an external WVB installed on the coax if you need to extend the coverage. The WVB is $99 purchase as it is an owned accessory.

Since you are going to be adding additional coax anyway, it may be better to get a wired Client. If you don't have a free upgrade, the one-time lease cost is $99, so same as the purchase cost of the WVB.

Sounds like the hard limit of 7 tuners is not causing you issues for watching TV or recording, so coverage to your TV is the only problem. With my household we needed 9 tuners, so a regular Genie and HDDVRs were the right option for our setup.