Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
TheOtherJim

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

Thu, Aug 8, 2013 4:36 AM

Frequent loss of signal

For the last month, I have been getting the dreaded 771 error. This has occurred mostly on line 1, but has now migrated to line 2. As best as I can determine, it only happens at the DVR; the other receiver is unaffected.

I called in for support the first time it happened, and the tech went down the checklist, suggesting all the things I had already tried. At one point, he had me unplug and replug the coax wire, and the signal came back. I asked him why that would work -- all the connections were tight and hadn't been touched (this is a 3-month-old installation) and he said something about static electricity. I presume he was just making something up, since his response made no sense.

It has since happened fairly frequently, and it almost always clears up on its own, but we find that programs we had set for recording show up blank. Not fun. Since this only affects a subset of our channels, it seems reasonable to assume that it has nothing to do with the cabling. So what is it? How do I fix this? I am under the impression that, since I'm more than three months out from the installation, that DirecTV is going to charge me for a service call, which hardly seems reasonable. Meanwhile, I'm left with spotty service. Any suggestions?

Responses

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

7 years ago

While some of the techs may not be real good, some of them are surprisingly knowledgeable about all aspects of the Directv system.  No one will fix your problem on the phone and only the service techs make house calls.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

Update: Signal loss occurs at night, before 10pm, and the signal comes back every morning at 8:00, pretty much on the dot. DirecTV has been called. I am currently thinking thermal problems at some connection on the dish, or -- and I don't know the mechanics of the orbit of the various satellites, but maybe the aim of the dish is not quite correct, and the satellite dips out of range at night.

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

7 years ago

The satellites are in geosynchronous orbit and are very stable, they don't move in relation to your dish.  One last time, you need a good tech visit.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

The tech will be here in the morning. I'm just trying to get a handle on what the cause might be, since I like to understand these things.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

The tech came, rendered his opinion on the coax cable (Copper clad! Not good!) and, thanks to the quirky construction of the wall the cable comes through, ran a solid-copper-core cable under the house into a cabinet in the adjoining bathroom, and from there through the wall to the receiver. He was pretty sure the cable was the problem. But he also replaced the LNB, which is what I think the problem was, and I don't feel like switching the cables to confirm my guess. In any event, the problem appears to be resolved.

So... the tech said that the Genie requires solid copper cable, but couldn't really explain why the outage coincided with sundown and the reemergence of the signal with sunrise. If there's a lesson in there, you're welcome! 😉 Meanwhile, I can now watch late-night shows and the morning news, so it's all good.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

7 years ago

The Genie does NOT require solid coper core.  CCS and SCC ve the same RF loss.  The only time when SCC is recomneded is the  cable that carries power to the LNB.  any other place both cables are exactly the same

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. This reinforces my suspicion that I either had a defective LNB or that one of the LNB connections wasn't secure.

Tutor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

Or maybe a fine crack in the LNB cover that's letting moisture in. You know, like dew that's created with temperature change during the night.....hmmmm.

dcd

Expert

• 

22.6K Messages

6 years ago

Good point, but you might take a look at the dates on various threads before responding.  This one is close to 8 months old.

Get started...

Ask a new question