Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Tue, Jun 5, 2018 10:15 PM

Flashing blue power light on DirecTV Model D10 receiver

Over the course of one night, one of my receivers started flashing the blue power light. It is a D10 receiver which is very old yet ran fine until this morning. I have a feeling it is now a brick because it won't resedt/power up now--not even the blue light. I checked inside and the fuse is fine, yet still will not turn on.

I have a protection plan, yet I am told by varying sources (AT&T Chat + service tel line) that the replacement will be a) free or b) cost me $12 or c) cost me $75 and on top of all that, I'll be charged another $4 a month for the new receiver. I thought a protection plan kept the "extra charges" away from me.

How do I go about getting a replacement? I've had service out TWICE. The first time he wanted to completely renovate my entire system from putting a new dish on the roof to rewiring my house with HD and all that stuff. I don't want HD, nor do I need a new dish as my other two receivers work just fine. The second service caller tried to put a newer receiver in place of the D10 and when he called in to activate, they told him I would have to pay over $100 for the new receiver because it was capable of receiving HD. If they stop the HD channels from getting to me (which they can do easily) then why all the extra expense? Can't this new receiver be set to receive just 'normal' TV and not HD?

I don't see the problem (other than the techs I talk to haven't got a clue what they're saying).

Responses

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

I haven't been under contract for a number of years. Cancellation is NOT
the problem.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

2 years ago

@AuthorBill wrote:
I haven't been under contract for a number of years. Cancellation is NOT
the problem.

Just be sure.  Sometimes when they replaced old SD equipment with newer HD equipment, it starts a new 2-yr contract.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

See, now, this is exactly what I mean. I've said here in this thread as
well as to the techs/chats I've done that NOBODY has replaced/upgraded a
thing. When both servicemen arrived and started their spiel, I listened
than DECLINED to have anything done due to an incurred charge I felt was
unjustified, thus, no replacement receiver. One tech tried to replace
the receiver, but was slapped down my his own management for even
attempting to replace a DS-only with a DS/HD unit. Even HE couldn't get
anyone to agree I had no capability to receive HD due to the dish I had,
so why charge me. The replacement receiver did NOT had an "H:" in it's
model number. I believe it was a D12-100, similar, but not exactly the
same as the one in my living room.

I've been without a receiver in my bedroom for over a month now and,
frankly, we're watching much more local HD using my off-the-air antenna
and movies using the DVD player, Netflix, and Hulu. We don't miss
DirecTV at all.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

2 years ago

Sounds good.  Enjoy your next provider.  

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Well, I suspect it can't be any worse than DirecTV has become. Spectrum
has a good rep here in town.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

2 years ago

D12 would not come with HD service as that is an SD only box, the last one made in fact. If tech's order of D12 was attempting to add HD service then something is screwy with either that tech or the system.

Directv has been notifying customers who have SD only equipment about a complimentary upgrade of equipment to HD boxes without agreement or charging for HD service as they now have a hard date of SD being shut off. Such an upgrade includes receiving dish of course. When you call Directv back to discuss cancelling, ask them about the special offer for SD only customers. If you choose to place the order, review the order confirmation sent to make sure it matches what you expect. If you still end up cancelling, good luck with your next provider. Though if you don't have HD TVs they will have to use some special adapters or dongle to connect to your TV which may not look well on screen if the new equipment doesn't have SD settings (just something to be careful of).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

All my household TVs are flatscreen, HD ready TVs. We watch a lot of
streaming services like Netflix and Hulu as well as DVDs and Blu-ray movies.

I haven't been contacted by anyone concerning the "free" upgrade to HD
and, judging by all the pressure to PAY for an upgrade, I'm not likely
to receive any pre-cutoff communications. DirecTV/AT&T have abandoned us
long-term subscribers and I consider that a shameful thing. Instead of
blowing us off, they should try to keep us happy and able to tell
newcomers how happy we are with their services instead of decrying them

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

2 years ago

The notification has been an automatic email. Regardless if you got the email or not, agents over the phone should be able to see your account qualifies. Tech on site installs what is on the order, but may try to upsell so you pay them additional/customer work or they get a commission for an on-site upgrade. The special SD only to HD swap being offered because of the SD end of life is only through customer care.

Long term customers have not been abandoned. But there are a issues from the merger that are still being worked out, the Genie-2 fiasco, and on top of that the end of SD (which was listed a few years ago would be in 2019, just recently they have announced the official date to be in April 2019). Though I am very happy with my service and have still gotten my perks since the AT&T acquisition, I am very cautious with information provided while AT&T agents get on page with how Directv works.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

I've talked to five different agents, three using Chat and two on the
phone as well as two different technicians sent to my house. /NONE /of
them mentioned anything about the cutoff for SD or any free upgrade to
HD because of it. It is a broken system and my account has fallen
through the acquisition cracks, driven purely by profit without regard
to extenuating circumstances.

I chatted once again last night and when I mentioned the SD cutoff, this
person lied to me by saying there was no intention of removing SD
coverage in the future. At that point, I ceased believing anything she
said and disconnected. Unfortunately, I was careless and didn't have a
transcript emailed to me so I could point to the lie.

I thank everyone who has participated in this thread. It's been an
enlightening experience.