Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Tue, Jun 5, 2018 10:15 PM

Flashing blue power light on DirecTV Model D10 receiver

Over the course of one night, one of my receivers started flashing the blue power light. It is a D10 receiver which is very old yet ran fine until this morning. I have a feeling it is now a brick because it won't resedt/power up now--not even the blue light. I checked inside and the fuse is fine, yet still will not turn on.

I have a protection plan, yet I am told by varying sources (AT&T Chat + service tel line) that the replacement will be a) free or b) cost me $12 or c) cost me $75 and on top of all that, I'll be charged another $4 a month for the new receiver. I thought a protection plan kept the "extra charges" away from me.

How do I go about getting a replacement? I've had service out TWICE. The first time he wanted to completely renovate my entire system from putting a new dish on the roof to rewiring my house with HD and all that stuff. I don't want HD, nor do I need a new dish as my other two receivers work just fine. The second service caller tried to put a newer receiver in place of the D10 and when he called in to activate, they told him I would have to pay over $100 for the new receiver because it was capable of receiving HD. If they stop the HD channels from getting to me (which they can do easily) then why all the extra expense? Can't this new receiver be set to receive just 'normal' TV and not HD?

I don't see the problem (other than the techs I talk to haven't got a clue what they're saying).

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

2 years ago

Yes HD comes with an HD fee IIRC is $10 plus the HDDVR fee and the Whole home fee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

2 years ago

Since DTV is shutting down the SD channels in April 2019 the D10 will be obsolete, DTV is emailing their SD only customers with a offer to upgrade them to HD with no contract.  The protection plan covers the shipping cost or the service call plus replacement remotes so there is no added cost to you.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Ok. I accept that (but don't like it that I'm losing my SD channels) Why do I get totally varying responses from AT&T when I chat or talk to the 800 number? Just again tonight, I chatted for 25 minutes and didn't get anything of substance from the person I was talking with. They just kept repeating a "special deal" for me that would end up costing me over $240 a month.

I've had 2 service calls from a tech in person. Both tried to fit their newer version of the D10 (I don't remember the model number), yet they couldn't get it to work either.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

2 years ago

What happened with the techs swapped your dead D10 SD Receiver for the newer D12 Receiver?  It should swap just fine.  And replacing your dead D10 should only cost $20 for shipping (free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan).  

But as previously mentioned, SD services are going away next year.  See if you can negotiate a sweet deal now for an upgrade to HiDef stuff. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
b52pooh

Guru

• 

291 Messages

2 years ago

Directv will be turning off the standard def channels, but not until 2019.  The receiver that you currently have , the D10, is using older technology, that while still usable, is going away, like the buggy whip. What other receivers do you have on your account? Do you have a DVR? Digital Video Recorder?  R15, R16, Tivo?   Currently, Directv is broadcasting most channels in both SD and HD. Your equipment is currently only able to receive the standard def channels. The replacements will use newer technology, but still receive the standard def channels until 2019, however, they can also see the HD channels. Your TV's may still be standard def only, but will most likely still work with the newer receivers. I, like you , am of the belief that if something is working, why change it?  Well, technology "progresses" and business decisions must be made. Everybody watched standard definition channels from TV's inception until well into the 90's.  Now, the standard def is being phased out, and it is difficult for most people to even find a new standard def TV.  I'm sorry that you are getting misinformation and hard sells, when it is not necessary.  This business, just like any other, has excellent installers, and phone technicians, and also those that only want to get by to get a paycheck at the end of the week. Good luck!

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

@ Litzdog911: The last tech who was here installed a newer receiver (not sure of the model, but it did have HD capability). We do have the equipment protection plan, yet see below for what happened.

I have another receiver in the living room (SD only once again) and a receiver with DVR in the basement TV room (not HD capable). All out TV's are flat-screen adn HD capable. We watch blu-ray movies all the time and the local channels (27 of them) in HD.

The last tech tried to activate the new receiver and was told I would have to incur a $12 per month increase because the receiver was HD CAPAPLE (Emphasis mine). even though I don't have any HD coverage in my account. He went round and round with the telephone person as well as her supervisor. AT&T flat refused to waive the extra cost despite my being a 22-year subscriber to DirecTV and that I did not want HD coverage.

Now that SD will be going away, I guess it's about time I contacted Spectrum and got wired up with their cable. They have some great new subscriber deals going right now. Every day they snag new customers who have fled DirecTV's insane policies. I'm fed up to here with the lousy service and convuluted logic built in to their contracts. I's no wonder I get conflicting opinions on cost/equipment. Sorry. Rant over.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Hmm. Interesting. I've never been told that -- only that I'd have to
spend big bucks to replace my receiver because they can't handle my old
system. That may be true, but surely something can be done other than a
complete revamp. I just don't think I'm getting through to the people I
talk/chat with. They agree then turn around and begin pressing anew for
a fancy upgrade. I'm 76 years old, and retired with a fixed income. I
simply cannot afford anything more. I have over 1200 DVDs (Blu-ray and
standard) so it isn't likely I'll run out of things to watch in the future.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

2 years ago

D10 has been an outdated model for years. If a warranty replacement was still available it would just be $19.95 delivery and a D12 as that is the last SD only box made. However the SD broadcast (MPEG-2) shuts down April 2019 so all SD only boxes will be unusable. (except the special R22 as that DVR is HD / MPEG-4 capable). SDTVs haven't been made in many years and Directv grandfathered their SD only equipment back in 2015, so SD is way past its time.

HD service is $10

DVR service is $10

Whole Home DVR is $3

All 3 of these services cover the account, they are not charged per TV. You can upgrade to HD without DVR, just depends on what you are comfortable with.

Unfortunately coming from such a grandfathered account there are many new agents, especially if they came over from the AT&T side, that are not familiar enough with the equipment options and how some equipment can mix and match. What are the exact models of all boxes you have now?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Hi, Juniper.

I know all the fees involved. What I can't understand is why I'm to be
charged $10 for HD service if my account isn't set up for HD reception.
Surely, SD can pass through ANY receiver used to replace my dead D10. If
they can cut off HD to my house, why should I pay more to get the same
thing I have always had. A general increase in fees I can understand,
not this insistence on charging me for no change.

My other equipment is (1) D12-100 in the living room and (1) XTV DVR in
the basement. Note that the DVR is NOT whole home. It is available only
to the receiver in the basement. The DVR receiver doesn't even have an
HDMI outlet and has to be connected through coax to the TV.

It is true that a 22-year old account presents challenges to service
reps. I understand this as well. But, when I request to speak to someone
higher up the chain, I am told "nobody is available". Surely these
people have supervisors.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

2 years ago

HD receivers have the HD fee whether you use HD or not and as stated it will be the only service come April.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

Hmm. That seems pretty narrowminded to me. If I don't use it, there
shouldn't BE a fee. If I still have DirecTV in 2019 when SD goes away
(which is very unlikely if this isn't solved toot sweet) then I'd expect
to be charged for it, but NOT before then.

Spectrum is looking better and better. I really don't want to terminate
a 22-year account, but I will if I have to.

Apparently, I have no recourse other than to give up watching satellite
in one room, or pay a fortune to "upgrade" the whole mess.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

2 years ago

If you warranty replace the D10 (if still possible), getting a D12 as that could be the only SD box left in stock, there is no HD charge.

You upgrade equipment to an HD or HDDVR box (anything with H in the model number) you pay the fee.

So if you are being charged for HD service, that means you have at least 1 HD box on the account. Warranty replacement is like for like, not SD box to HD box.

SD can pass through HD boxes, for as long as SD still exists, but an HD box requires HD service as that is what it is built for. It is not a warranty replacement for SD.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

2 years ago

Be sure to ask DirecTV if your "replacement" HD box is considered an "upgrade" or a "replacement".  Upgrades trigger a new 2-yr contract, so cancelling early will incur a fee. 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

2 years ago

I think everyone who answered this thread, but we've pretty much made up our minds to tell AT&T to take a hike. After over 20 years of service, they've finally created such a hodgepodge of contradictory layers of "update" vs "upgrade" and flaky charges we've given up trying to explain to people who won't listen to us. That, plus the cancellation of SD next year tops the whole shebang.

On top of everything else, I was told yesterday the dish we have on our roof, although oval in nature, is still only a 3-head LNB and is not capable of receiving HD. So, next year we'd have to have a completely reinstalled system and at our house that ain't easy. The roof is a bear to get to and I don't want any new holes punched into it anyway. The last one leaked until I called the repair van out twice to fix it.

On the whole, I give AT&T's new subdivision of DirecTV a 1 on a 0-10 scale in helpfulness, usefullness, and responsiveness. It was a great service bbefore being meddled with.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

2 years ago

Hopefully you can cancel without any early termination fees.  Best wishes.