Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
M

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Jun 5, 2020 3:58 PM

Equipment return issue

I briefly had DirectTV back in Aug 2018. I cancelled right away. The installer took some equipment back with him and I returned the rest via UPS. I was provided the ATT return process. I just rec'd a collection notice (June 2020) for $48.15. When I called, the rep was rude (Employee # D6V5RS9). She told me the equipment went to a ATT warehouse and not Direct TV. So this is my issue? She told me to get the UPS shipping ref #. Are you kidding me? From almost 2 yrs ago? I heard nothing about this from Aug 2018 until now and they expect me to do this for them. I told her to speak to ATT and she said she couldn't. Really??? I told her to talk to the Tech who did the install. She laughed at me!! It's funny that I asked her to speak to an internal employee but she can seriously ask me to find a UPS # from almost 2 yrs ago??? What a sad company this is. I told her to come get the satellite that is still on my roof. It's worth more than $48. They won't do that either. What a joke!!!!!!

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

An installer took your equipment? No company should take someone else's equipment.

The only time DirecTV has a person take equipment is if a tech is out to replace a box (such as an upgrade). With canceling you ship boxes back to DirecTV.

However the return process was changing that year to where you take boxes and your DirecTV account number to a participating FedEx or UPS Store, instead of DirecTV shipping you a prepaid return kit (old process only used if over 10 miles away from a participating shipper). I would call DirecTV back, when you get the voice system say "cancel", and then once in the retention department request a supervisor. A few others experienced returning to the wrong side during the early days of the shipping process changing. Some were found, others had been gotten rid of as was not AT&T equipment, but it is a shot.

If DirecTV is able to verify return and provide adjustment, any updates are normally received by the collection agency within a couple business days. Regardless of adjustment or not, you will need to follow up with the collection agency to make sure everything is settled.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

@Juniper I should have been more clear. The installer brought receivers into the house and after considering our options, we chose not to have a receiver in one particular room so he took that one back. It's my belief that is the one in question as he probably already "scanned" it or whatever they do when on someone' property. I have tried calling them but since I haven't had service in almost 2 years, they won't talk to me.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

Declined box on install, but possibly tech had activated it? Only way to be sure is if the bills showed one more additional TV/Client fee then what was installed.

With a closed account, and so long ago, their is little the agents over the phone can do especially with it going to a collection agency. Speaking to their retention department is the best chance at discussing with an experienced agent.

Historically they could look up the box info in their system to see if it is in use on another account (or at least was after being on yours). If so that would be the proof that is needed.

If it is a situation of tech kept one box, activated it, and was never used later, then unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done this long after the fact. The only way that situation could be resolved after 2 years is if the box was activated on another account after yours to show that it was back in the company's possession.

Sorry I can't offer much guidance in this situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

All good, thank you!!!!

Get started...

Ask a new question