Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
B

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Feb 22, 2020 2:30 PM

Do I need DECA Band filters with 2 D12 receivers and SWM dish?

We currently only have two receivers which are both standard definition D12 Models. The dish itself is relatively new AT&T and is SWM with a power inserter. and green labeled splitter. I am looking to run DECA over this same coax line for some other devices placed by the TV. I am aware this is possible but am unsure whether the band filters are necessary since there is no genie anywhere on the network. And if these filters are necessary where do I place them? One between the output of each splitter and the D12 box?

Current Configuration:

Proposed:

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

8 months ago

The D12 will need a band stop filter, not Deca, as it is not Multi Room Viewing (MRV) compatible. The Deca is for older HD models to work with MRV. https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=BSFR01

Do not share DirecTV's coax with non-DirecTV devices. DirecTV is not designed for that so interference becomes a problem.

DirecTV has been shutting down the MPEG-2 (SD-only) feeds since April 2019. Those D12s are the last MPEG-2 boxes made so will need to be replaced. Call DirecTV and get their complimentary MPEG swap. Just make sure to check the order confirmation that it is a swap and not an upgrade, unless you were wanting an actual upgrade of course.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

@Juniper

I am not looking to use the Deca for the DirectTV receivers. There is no MRV or DVR or anything I do not want any of that nor wish to add it. I am looking to use the Deca's for a smart TV via Ethernet. Just using the coax with the DirectTV on it rather then run a new wire. Iv heard this is possible Just am little unsure. I am aware of the phasing out of the SD (Mpeg2) service but they have not sent any notice about it

(edited)

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

You need 3 DECAs BB with their power supplies 1 to put the internet onto the coax and then the others to strip the internet off the coax to feed the TV. This not an approved method so you are on your own if it doesn't work.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

Surprised you haven't gotten an email about the shutdown, but glad you are aware. Best to do before the boxes no longer work so you are not without TV while waiting on your new equipment.

As DirecTV has been moving away from traditional receivers on every TV, the swap is normally a Genie setup. An HD non-DVR (i.e. H25) would be the closest to what you have and you could certainly ask, but apparently that is done as a normal upgrade instead.

Remember a swap has no new service agreement and provides monthly credits for what would normally be new services, because an MPEG swap is required. An upgrade being optional would come with a 24 month service agreement and add whatever receiver services apply to the equipment (covers account, not charged per box); HD $10, DVR $10, Whole Home DVR $3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

• 

5 Messages

@shannon02

I only need the 2 Deca because Router is by one the one TV and only need it to go to the other. I should have been more clear.

• 

5 Messages

@Juniper

It is a surprise we havent gotten the notification about the swap. No signs at all. Thankfully I read about it somewhere. But Yes, would most likely go for a non-dvr box as I am not to found of the Genies for a few reasons. But yes, would rather not have to pay those fees for stuff dont need nor want. And will never use any of the smart features nor internet capability on them. Is a swap waved fees good for life or just a limited period?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

No, you still need 3 DECA BBs to connect the internet to the SWM coax system the first DECA BB connects to your router with either a coax run to it or Ethernet cable from the router to the DECA BB then coax connects to the SWM splitter.

• 

5 Messages

@shannon02

The setup would be:

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

Ok that will work.

Get started...

Ask a new question