Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
tra13cer

Tutor

• 

21 Messages

Tue, Jan 28, 2020 6:31 PM

directv shows energy saving mode

In the last two days, every time I turn on one of our TV's the screen says it is in power saving mode because there was no activity in the last four hours. In order to get to an actual program I have to click OK. This never happened before two days ago. How can I stop this annoying screen from popping up every time I turn on a TV?

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

a month ago

That means either the box wasn't turned off, or something caused it to turn back on, and after 4 hours of no button presses it auto turned off per the Power Saving option.

I would verify the power cord is secure on both sides. Make sure it is not plugged into a "smart" power strip, though directly into an outlet may be best either way. If your home, or the outlet connection itself, has a power glitch then when power restored the receiver will do a full boot up like when plugged in the first time.

If power connections are good, I would suggest a red button reset of the box or a full power cycle (unplugging power for at least 20 seconds), in case it is just a simple software glitch that needs to clear. If by chance this is a Client, do the reset on the main Genie first.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
tra13cer

Tutor

• 

21 Messages

@Juniper Well, I tried what you said and it did not work. This morning it is doing the same thing. This is happening on all four of our TV's. We have made sure that all TV boxes are off. Any other suggestions?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

All 4 TVs have the problem? What are the models of the boxes? Wondering if it is an issue from one box bleeding to the others.

Have you tried toggling the power saving option in settings? Might fix internal programming to the default way the feature should work.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
tra13cer

Tutor

• 

21 Messages

@Juniper Yes, all 4 TV's have the problem. The main Genie is model HR44-500 and the mini's are C41-100. I tried toggling the power saving option off and then back on again but that didn't work either. The main Genie is on a new Smart TV and the other 3 TV's are just regular flat screens but we have had the new Smart TV since November and this issue just started last Saturday, January 25.

• 

1 Message

Sounds like software update has disrupted this setting. You'll have to go into the menu on each units, by pressing the menu button on the remote, and go to settings and go to power saving mode and turn this feature off. It is quite easy to do, however my instructions are "NOT" exact.

tra13cer

Tutor

• 

21 Messages

@mhufford But if I go in and turn this feature off and there really is one of these boxes running, even though they all look completely turned off, won't that allow the power to be running at full force instead of the power saver?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

All the power saver does is if there is no button press within 4 hours then the box turns off as if you had pressed the power button. If you don't leave it on, then this is not an issue.

The box is never truly off. It goes into a suspend state as when it is "off" it still keeps the guide current and performs your scheduled recordings.

If the box is turned off normally, but later gets the message about power saver, then that can happen from a small power surge, a short-lived outage, or unstable connection to the outlet. As when normal power is interrupted it reboots the box as if it was just plugged in, then 4 hours later of non-use power saver kicks in. As this is happening to all boxes, since they are Clients then this would be an issue with the main Genie. Less likely there is a software glitch causing the feature to kick on outside of when it should.

tra13cer

Tutor

• 

21 Messages

@Juniper So how do you get a software glitch fixed? Sorry, if these are dumb questions but I am new to this stuff.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

If the glitch is isolated to the equipment (as opposed to a bug in a recent software update), then either a full reset to factory settings and setting back up or calling DirecTV for a warranty replacement. I would only do this as a last resort since this would delete all recordings.

I would still make sure all power is stable to every box, and that none of them are connected to a "smart" power strip. Also if your TVs have a HDMI-CEC option, where they can control other HDMI devices (usually for powering on/off), make sure that is turned off as not all devices play well together.

No worries, we are here to help each other out.

tra13cer

Tutor

• 

21 Messages

@Juniper It looks like some other people are having the same issue I am so I'm thinking a software update maybe is the problem?

TASWALB

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

25 days ago

I am having the same problem with all 4 of my C41W-100 Wireless Genie Mini boxes. It started earlier this week. It had been working properly sine January of 2016 when they were first installed.

I have rebooted the units. All are still reporting that it went into power saving mode when I know I powered them off the last time I used them. I also turned power saving off, rebooted and turned it back on. Still the same issue.

TASWALB

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

11 days ago

More info....

The Main Genie still shows that the remote status is Wireless even after the remote has been powered off. So, whatever signal/code that the remote genie is powered off is no longer be recieved or recognized by the Main Genie.