Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Jan 23, 2020 1:37 PM

DirecTV a/v out of sync on 2020

I have DirecTV's HR44-500 Genie connected directly to my Sony x950G 4k in my living room, and the mini Genie connected to a HiSense tv 1080 in a bedroom. Both are afflicted with the audio/video out-of sync issue. I've tried resetting both units. The issue is cured for only a few moments before the sound gradually begins to fall behind the video. I have contacted DirecTV support, and was told the issue would be escalated. So far it's nearing two weeks since I've done this, and I have not heard back. I have an older Sony sound bar with only one hdmi port, and it's connected to the 950 through the ARC port. I disconnected it from the tv and the problem still persisted, so I know it's not the TV-sound bar problem, at least.

I did not notice this problem with my older Sony XBR. In reading older threads regarding this issue, I see that the problem may exist with the DirecTV (driver?) that has trouble with the newer hdmi coding. That is something beyond my control, so I'm asking here if there is a known solution?

Slightly OT, I don't see how DirecTV can want to charge me to send a service tech out to my home to troubleshoot this issue if I don't own the equipment. It's not my fault the equipment has (known) issues.

Responses

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.8K Messages

4 weeks ago

tech visits are free, if you have the protection plan

check the tvs for a synch setting

try ahd turn off dolby, or on

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

DTV has always charged for service calls, If the receiver is defective DTV charges $20 for shipping a replacement.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

I've already tried the suggested methods list here and elsewhere in this forum. I've contacted Tech Support, and confirmed the software of the HR44-500 unit is up to date. Also, I confirmed the red button reset did not alleviate the problem. It was agreed that I will have to get a newer replacement model. So fingers crossed and hope for a good result.

Of note here: due to the single hdmi port of my sound bar, I am not able to reroute the Genie-2 connection through that device. I had disconnected the device to eliminate it as the cause of the sound issue. It isn't.

thanks to all for replying

Flyby out

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

You can get an HDMI switch to add more HDMI ports to the soundbar if you think that will help.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

@7946_Flyby

The HR44 is not the Genie-2. The HR44 is the 2nd generation of the regular Genie line (HR34, HR44, HR54). The Genie-2 is the HS17 which is the new server tower, that is recommended to stay away from per built-in restrictions and that bugs not fully squashed.

A warranty replacement does not guarantee you get a newer model. You will either get the HR44 or HR54 depending on stock. The only key difference of the HR54 is it supports the 4K Client (C61K).

If they ordered you a Genie-2 (HS17), that would be a upgrade, not a warranty replacement. So would come with a 24 month agreement, and forbid HDDVRs from being on the account. Right now you can upgrade a Client to an HDDVR to get more bang for your buck (no difference in monthly cost) as the regular Genie line supports HDDVRs.

Terms of Service are that service calls are chargeable ($99). This is because only the boxes are owned by DirecTV. If they just need to send a replacement, it is $19.95 delivery. Sending a tech out means there is an issue somewhere in the cabling, receiving dish, etc., all of which you own upon install. Delivery and service calls are covered if it is within 90 days of install, or 90 days from a prior appointment for the same issue. Optional equipment protection plan covers those costs as well, including remotes ($15). Though you shouldn't need to use the protection plan often enough to make it cheaper than the one-time costs, and remotes can be cheaper through authorized retailers (such as Amazon)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

• 

5 Messages

Juniper, thank you for the clarification. So, a 2nd-gen Genie is different from a Genie-2. OK. Got it. Also, I took another look at the replacement notification. It only states a Genie is on the way. No mention of particular model. So, given the conversation I had with the tech department, I can only hope it's a capable upgrade.

Shannon02, thank you for the suggestion. I'd thought along that line when I read a post which suggested rerouting the Genie through the sound bar. But then I decided to let DirecTV cure it's equipment problem. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind as a plan_B.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

You're welcome. A 2nd gen and Genie-2 get mixed up every so often. Since your order says Genie, not Genie-2, then it should be the warranty replacement (as long as it doesn't show 24 month agreement). The HR54 is intended for 4K upgrades, so would only be provided if there is not an HR44 next in line for shipping out.

So you are aware if you get the HR54, there is a revised model (HR54R1) out there. Box looks different, but key difference is no eSATA port so doesn't support an external hard drive like all DVRs before it.

Techs cannot request a specific model. You are only guaranteed same model or newer, of the same line. So only possibilities for warranty replacement is HR44, HR54, or HR54R1.

• 

5 Messages

The replacement dvr arrived today. Date of mfr is 2015. Model# HR54-700. I'm binging on recorded stuff on the HR44, then I'll switch over, and have the "new" unit activated. Thanks for the heads-up on the R1 variant.

Flyby out

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

Sounds like it went smoothly. If you ever do use an external eSATA HDD with the Genie, remember the internal is disabled to prevent transferring. So would need to be larger than the internal (1TB) to be worth it. Just mentioning in case you ever had space concerns before the HR44 went out.

The HR54R1 as far as I can tell, seems to be a cost saving design with only functional loss being no eSATA port. So for those that don't use an external HDD it doesn't matter which version they get I guess.

• 

2 Messages

3 weeks ago

Teacher

• 

43 Messages

@7946_Flyby That's interesting, with my DIRECTV system they installed, I OWN the equipment. That means, I get to keep it if I want. That's why I would have to pay for a service call if a piece of equipment should fail or has an issue? It is my fault the equipment I OWN, free and clear, failed. Or is it called, "Owner Ship?"

I had ATT U-Verse up until a couple weeks ago, and I had equipment failure/issues over the 8 years, and was not charge a dime having a tech come out and fix. If it was something I did, like change something around and did not work, and the tech fixed it, then I would be charged.

Interesting how ATT DIRECTV operates for more $$$. Protection Plan, another way to make more $$$. mmmm I should have looked a little more deeper.

I switched to DIRECTV b/c we were going to loose local CBS with U-Verse, which has happened Two years ago, we lost CBS for 5+ weeks and my wife was Frantic this time. She Schedules and RECORDS all her weekly/daily shows. Then can watch them in succession.

• 

5 Messages

teetertotter, I'm not sure of AT&T's (DirecTV's) business plan as it pertains to charges. I was told that the service fees don't approach the actual company cost to send a tech to a home.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

@teetertotter DTV hasn't allowed you to own any receivers since 2006 and only SD receivers where owned and are now obsolete as DTV is shutting down the MPEG2 channel.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

@teetertotter

Careful, that equipment may not be owned unless you got it a decade or further ago. DirecTV went to lease only with the launch of the 1st Genie. For only a short time after the Genie was launched, prior models could be purchased to own (i.e. HDDVR $499), but that was many years ago.

Service call is charged because cabling and dish is owned by you. If only the box were the problem, then they send out a warranty replacement for just delivery of $19.95. So a service call is because the issue is beyond the leased box, but to the equipment you actually do own.

So if you had U-Verse until a couple weeks ago at which point you got DirecTV, then you certainly don't own the boxes. Even if you paid to an authorized 3rd party retailer, they still may only provide leased equipment. Owned boxes was mainly a purview of the SD-only (MPEG-2) days which are long gone.

Teacher

• 

43 Messages

Sounds good with my wishful thinking......I appreciate the replies.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

You're welcome. Just wanted to make sure you don't get unexpected costs per wrong assumptions, such as non-return fees if you refused to send back boxes upon them no longer in use or replaced. But as everything moves forward, older models become non-returnable of course even though they are still owned by DirecTV. So if ever you end up with a box you are no longer using, good to double check with DirecTV (or even here in the forum as well), to see if still returnable.

Any Genie/Mini Genie are leased as they never had an owned option. So they are returnable, except for the 1st generation (HR34 and C31) which became non-returnable a few years ago as couldn't keep up with the service. Currently the H25 is the only non-Genie that is returnable, as it is SWM-only like the Genies so cannot use the older multi-switch setup.