Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

Sat, Feb 8, 2014 4:36 PM

Direct TV originally had two satellites and added the third. Due to location restrictions for my dish I can not get the third dish. I find that in the programs I subscribe to there are a host of "FREE" programs included that I do not want.

I am sure that since there is a larger customer base on the two original satellites, why can't all of the "FREE"  programs be moved to the new satellite and the subscribed to programs be left on the two original satellites that have the larger viewing base? If I go down my entire guide of programs that are available I believe the free programs equal or exceed the subscribed programs. Another solution would be to put all of the "FREE" programs in the same number group, such as PPV, and not include them in the package programs. I love Marrie Osmond, but don't spend hours watching her diet program!

Responses

carl6

Professor

• 

2.3K Messages

6 years ago

The orbital slots referenced (99, 101, 103, 110 and 119) each have multiple satellites located at them (there are 10 DirecTV satellites for US program distribution with another being built). In addition, DirecTV uses a satellite at the 95 degree orbital slot for international programming delivered to the US.  It is not a matter of the (single or only) satellite at 101 becoming obsolete or failing.  There are certainly major technological differences between some of the satellites, but that does not determine if they can be used for SD or HD. Either type of signalling can be sent through any of the satellites.  DirecTV has the ability to mix/match/shuffle what physical satellite, and which transponder, is used for any given channel or set of channels they carry, and they do mix/match/shuffle these around from time to time for various reasons.  It is (normally) totally transparent to the end user, because your receiver is told where to find the data stream that carries the channel you are looking for. Where it would not be transparent is if the end user does not have a dish capable of receiving that satellite, or a receiver capable of decoding that data stream.  That is also totally unrelated to what channel number a particular channel occupies, which can be changed by DirecTV as desired, regardless of what actual satellite that channel happens to be going through at the time.

One other factor is the type of compression that is used, which can be either MPEG-2 (currently used for most SD programming) and MPEG-4 (currently used for almost all HD programming). Most SD receivers (D11, D12, R15, R16) are not capable of decoding MPEG-4 compression. This has nothing at all to do with the type of dish you have or what satellite the signal is coming through, other than the fact that HD programming comes through the 99 and 103 orbital slots, therefore those carry mostly MPEG-4 compression.

The document at this link has some additional information regarding all of this. http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/Dish,%20Multiswitch%20and%20Cable%20FAQ.pdf

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

Is page 39 the number on the bottom of the picture of the page or is it the page onthe left side, which is numbered by printed page number? In the section on auto tune with the little picture un lower left, I only get the numbered channels without the corresponding column on the right.

shannon01

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

The number printed on the page.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…