Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

Sat, Feb 8, 2014 4:36 PM

Direct TV originally had two satellites and added the third. Due to location restrictions for my dish I can not get the third dish. I find that in the programs I subscribe to there are a host of "FREE" programs included that I do not want.

I am sure that since there is a larger customer base on the two original satellites, why can't all of the "FREE"  programs be moved to the new satellite and the subscribed to programs be left on the two original satellites that have the larger viewing base? If I go down my entire guide of programs that are available I believe the free programs equal or exceed the subscribed programs. Another solution would be to put all of the "FREE" programs in the same number group, such as PPV, and not include them in the package programs. I love Marrie Osmond, but don't spend hours watching her diet program!

Responses

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Al Jazeera America did not replace Jewish TV. Al Jazeera has been on DIRECTV for quite some time now and it hasn't moved as far as I'm aware. I'm not quite sure where you're getting that it replaced JLTV. It hasn't. JLTV is simply moving to a different satellite, Al Jazeera America is where it has been for quite some time now.

As for why JLTV is being moved from one satellite to another....  I don't know the exact reason as to why, but my guess would be that it's to free up bandwidth on the satellite it's currently on now. It could also be due to the upcoming launch of the newest satellite, D14. There is currently a discussion going on about the move of JLTV over on DBS Talk forums if you'd like to read over it or participate. Jewish Life TV moving off SD receivers - DIRECTV General Discussion - DBSTalk

Yes, channel numbers can and do change from time to time. However, there's no correlation between satellite/transponder moves and channel number changes. With the channel mapping that your receiver does, DIRECTV can map any satellite/transponder to any channel number. They can even duplicate channels. If you'll notice all of the infomercial channels that seem to be located a 3 different channels, they are in fact all the same channel. Your receiver maps the satellite/transponder for the infomercial channel to several channel numbers, but they all point to the same one feed on the satellite.

On my receiver, yes I can delete channels I'm not subscribed to in my favorites list. As a matter of fact, channels that I don't subscribe to are grayed out in the program guide instead of using white text. When you create the favorite channel list you simply uncheck the box for the channel you do not want in that favorite list. I'm unfamiliar with your receiver so I'm not sure of the steps needed to create such a favorites list. Your owners manual may provide that information, or you could pose the question on this forum on how to create favorite channels list, or if you contact Customer Support they should be able to walk  you through the steps to remove the channels you don't want from your favorites list. (This is of course assuming that your receiver has the ability to create custom favorite channels lists.) Again, if you contact Customer Support and upgrade to the newest equipment you should receive a new HD receiver which will have this function available. You asked for a screen shot, when I get home I will be glad to take a few pictures and post them to this thread. (I'm currently  at work right now.)

Again, I'm not understanding the issue with your current wire infrastructure. If what you have now is working, there's no reason why you would need to have new cable installed. The Slimline dish that receives 3 satellites at once has what is called a SWM LNB. This stands for Single Wire Multiswitch. It allows for ONE coax to come from the dish to the receiver. If you have multiple receivers, a splitter is placed on the one coax from the dish and each receiver only needs one coax. So again, if what you have is working now then you will not need to have new coax for a new satellite dish.

Of course, you definitely do not have to upgrade to an HD receiver. DIRECTV still issues SD only receivers. However, you will still need a new dish and an HD receiver in order to receive JLTV. So at this point, it's up to you. If you want to continue to receive JLTV you'll need this new equipment. If you don't want new equipment, then you won't receive JLTV. There is no way around this, and DIRECTV is not going to change this just because a few people do not want to upgrade to new equipment. They are still providing you the tools needed to receive the channel, it's up to you if you use the tools or not.

Hope this helps.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

Go to WIKI LINK TV and the third paragraph validates what I said. LINK has changed ownership, but it tells who owned it initially. As far as wiring, initial wiring was a single coax with lighter conductor. New coax is heavier, different connector, and multi connector on each end with different connection to LNB. On my list there are highlighted channels that are not grayed out that when tagged, message says "not subscribed to". As I stated previously there are quite a few channels I do not subscribe to, but some are worth looking at. Mostly, for some reason, they are Spanish and I wish that had an option for translated CC so I could understand them better.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

When did we start talking about LINK TV?!? I thought this was about JLTV moving? What are you talking about???

As for the coax, again, it should work regardless of what dish you use. It's coax. It carries RF signals. The connectors on the end can be changed. If it's carrying RF signals now from your current dish, it will carry signals from another dish.

It sounds like your specific receiver doesn't grey out channels you're not subscribed to. Again, I'm only familiar with the Genie HR44. It's possible that your receiver doesn't support the same kind of favorite lists as the Genie, I'm not sure.

I've tried to upload a picture, but the website isn't giving me the option to do so, it's only allowing me to upload a video. I'll have to see if I can remember my YouTube account to login and upload a video.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

If you knew what you were talking about, for sure, and could follow the lead provided, it would Help. Please go to WIKI LINK and read what it says. Irt gives the date LINK started and what channel it started on. It started on the channel that JTLV was on. LINK displaced JLTV, as I stated originally and you disputed.

If you look at the high tech conductor now in use and compare it to the original connector you will see that the cables are quite different in size and construction  and there is no way you can change the fitting from one to another. It would be like trying to fit a fire hose on a garden hose faucet-definitely not worth the time or effort!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Okay, I went to the WIKI article about LINK TV, and I see what you're seeing. Al Jazeera did not replace LINK - or any other channel. What that Wiki article says is that LINK TV used to carry Al Jazera programming until Al Jazera created it's own TV channel called Al Jazera America.  Link-TV is still on the air on DIRECTV on channel 375. I'm not sure where you're seeing that Link (or Al Jazera America) replaced JLTV, JLTV has been on CH 366 for quite some time.

Without seeing the coax cable, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the center conductor. My point has been that if the current coax that you have right now from your current dish to your current receiver is working, then it will (or should) work with a different dish and a different receiver. The same connector that is used one your current dish and current receiver are going to be the same coax connector that is on the newer equipment. RF connectors are pretty standard and are interchangeable among all TV devices. If for some reason you need a different size connector, there are ways to fix this. The "wrong" connector can be terminated into a Female-to-Female connector and a coax with the right sized connector can be ran from that to the dish/receiver. Again, this shouldn't be necessary. Unless I'm missing something, you already have a dish and receiver that's hooked up with coax. I'm not understanding why the same coax on your current receiver and dish cannot be used on a new dish and receiver. They all use the same connector and coax. If I'm missing something, please help me out.... maybe post some pictures of the cable and connector.

You asked about favorite channels list... I have created a video showing what the guide looks like on my receiver and how to set up favorites lists. It also explains about the JLTV moving to a new satellite. I'm not sure if your receiver menu is similar to mine, but maybe this will help point you in the right direction. Watch it here and let me know if you have any further questions:  DirecTV settings for forum response - YouTube

I'm going offline for the night, if needed I can login tomorrow and assist further.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

You seem to have a problem understanding some technical information. Firs, regarding LINK. LINK is the title of a channel on Direct TV. The name of the Channel is LINK. That is not the name of who owns the channel. If I recall, the initial owner, at the time it was first placed on the Satellite, was AlJeehera. When the were placed on the channel initially that site was JLTV. Direct TV moved JLTV from that location to another location, beyond the reach of my equipment. Again, if I recall what is on WIKI, AlJeheera owned LINK for about two years, then sold it about two times to different owners, retaining the name on the viewing guide, and it is still there. With all of the moving around Direct TV, for whatever the reason, appears to be doing a disservice to the customer, JLTV. Does that explanation help?

I have two direct TV accounts. One here in Iowa and the other in my house in Dallas. The one in Dallas is current state of the art with HGTV, DVR, Service agreement, and the works. To keep it current it has been upgraded three times for technology reasons during the time I have had my account in Dallas. I am completely aware of the features and operation of that equipment, so I am not speaking with a lack of knowledge about both systems. I have exactly the same problem that we are addressing on customizing the list. There are still programs, mostly the FREE advertising channels, that I can not delete. Your system must be some kind of hybrid that is different than either of my two accounts

I did view your video. When you go to edit the list and you show the page where they show channels in numerical.sequence with or without check boxes, what i get on my display is the numerical list alone, with no channel description. To set up my list I have to print the guide and hunt down the channel number in order to identify the specific channel. Not very convenient!

Another thing I notice in your video that seems misleading. You are doing most of the actions with it indicating that you are on cable. On my units that means you are not on the direct  signal from the satellite, but that you are getting it from a different feed. On my system, cable is the way I get local channels that are not on the Direct TV satellite. Here where I live you can subscribe to Direct TV on the cable feed. Your custom channel setup that way would be based on a translated signal from the cable company. This means your custom changes are made from the cable company, but not Direct TV. In essence the cable company is really a s Direct TV satellite commercial customer, relaying a signal. Sort of like the situation with Microsoft software on your computer. If it is OEM provided, already installed on the computer you get support from the computer company. If you bought it as Microsoft software you get the support from Microsoft, but the OS cost more for the same program from Microsoft than the same version as OEM supplied.

Does your equipment require two connections to the receiver to get all of the Direct TV channels you get? My system in Dallas does, and that is the big difference between my setups. In Iowa, with my older equipment there is only a capability for a single antenna line in. The dish has a dual LNB, allowing connection to two receivers. A single LNB only connects you to one receiver.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Wow.... there is definitely some miscommunication here. I'll break this down into quoted responses.

"You seem to have a problem understanding some technical information. Firs, regarding LINK. LINK is the title of a channel on Direct TV. The name of the Channel is LINK. That is not the name of who owns the channel. If I recall, the initial owner, at the time it was first placed on the Satellite, was AlJeehera. When the were placed on the channel initially that site was JLTV. Direct TV moved JLTV from that location to another location, beyond the reach of my equipment. Again, if I recall what is on WIKI, AlJeheera owned LINK for about two years, then sold it about two times to different owners, retaining the name on the viewing guide, and it is still there. With all of the moving around Direct TV, for whatever the reason, appears to be doing a disservice to the customer, JLTV. Does that explanation help?"

I know that Link is a channel. I never said it wasn't. I watch Link-TV quite a bit. I'm familiar with it. It has nothing to do with Jewish TV. It has nothing to do with Al Jazeera. I have no idea where this information is coming from, but it's irrelevant to the conversation. I'm not going to debate it anymore.

"I have two direct TV accounts. One here in Iowa and the other in my house in Dallas. The one in Dallas is current state of the art with HGTV, DVR, Service agreement, and the works. To keep it current it has been upgraded three times for technology reasons during the time I have had my account in Dallas. I am completely aware of the features and operation of that equipment, so I am not speaking with a lack of knowledge about both systems. I have exactly the same problem that we are addressing on customizing the list. There are still programs, mostly the FREE advertising channels, that I can not delete. Your system must be some kind of hybrid that is different than either of my two accounts"

There is no such thing as a "hybrid" system. DIRECTV manufacturers the equipment. I have a standard Genie HR44 HD DVR. As I've said countless times, I am not familiar with your specific receiver, only the one I have. The one I have (ALL Genie HR34 and HR44) allow you to "delete" channels by not adding them to your favorites list. That's all I know.

" I did view your video. When you go to edit the list and you show the page where they show channels in numerical.sequence with or without check boxes, what i get on my display is the numerical list alone, with no channel description. To set up my list I have to print the guide and hunt down the channel number in order to identify the specific channel. Not very convenient!"

Agreed, not convenient. Again, this is a difference between our receivers. I've stated that I'm not familiar with your receiver. I can only assume that setting up a favorite channels list is similar on yours as it is on mine. If yours does not show the channel description, then that's unfortunate. I know the HR34 and HR44 receivers do show the channel names in the list, maybe you would enjoy upgrading to a newer receiver?

"Another thing I notice in your video that seems misleading. You are doing most of the actions with it indicating that you are on cable. On my units that means you are not on the direct  signal from the satellite, but that you are getting it from a different feed. On my system, cable is the way I get local channels that are not on the Direct TV satellite. Here where I live you can subscribe to Direct TV on the cable feed. Your custom channel setup that way would be based on a translated signal from the cable company. This means your custom changes are made from the cable company, but not Direct TV. In essence the cable company is really a s Direct TV satellite commercial customer, relaying a signal. Sort of like the situation with Microsoft software on your computer. If it is OEM provided, already installed on the computer you get support from the computer company. If you bought it as Microsoft software you get the support from Microsoft, but the OS cost more for the same program from Microsoft than the same version as OEM supplied."

I have NO idea what you're talking about here (above). There's nothing misleading in the video. I explained in the video that I named my favorites list "Cable TV". It's just a generic label I used so that other members of my home would know that's the favorites list with the standard "cable" channels on it. You can name the favorite list anything you want (at least on the HR44 receiver you can.) It is not indicating that I'm on a cable TV service. There is no such device or service that exists that "translates" DIRECTV channels from a cable company. This is nonsense. There is no "relay". You are somehow mistaken. My service is 100% DIRECTV from the satellite dish.

"Does your equipment require two connections to the receiver to get all of the Direct TV channels you get? My system in Dallas does, and that is the big difference between my setups. In Iowa, with my older equipment there is only a capability for a single antenna line in. The dish has a dual LNB, allowing connection to two receivers. A single LNB only connects you to one receiver."

No, my system is the Slimline dish that has 3 LNBs so it can receive the 99, 101, and 103 satellites simultaneously. The newer dishes have a SWM LNB which only needs one coax from the LNB to the receiver. If you have multiple receivers, a splitter is placed in line between the LNB and the receivers. Each receiver only needs one coax, and there's still only one coax going to the dish. This is why I have suggested that your current coax should work just fine for a new dish.

Not to sound snobby, but I do know what I'm talking about here. I have worked in both Television Broadcast Engineering and Satellite installation. I'm very familiar with how DIRECTV satellite systems work in all aspects - from the dish to the receiver to the satellite uplink and downlinks. So take my word when I say that you have been provided a wealth of correct information from both myself and others on this forum post.

I've honestly reached my stopping point in this discussion. I have sincerely tried to assist you the best I can. At this point I would suggest (again) that you call DIRECTV Customer Care. They will answer your questions, help you, and provide you information. They can send a technician out to your home to check out your coax, assist with installing a new dish that will receive Jewish TV, and provide you everything you need. I am exiting this discussion and wish you the very best of luck.

shannon01

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

Here is a link to a D11 manual is this what you see?  http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/DIRECTV/DIRECTV_D11.pdf

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

According to Direct TV, you can not use a slitter. When I go to menu, setup, I get a display that shows receiver SN, Model, Card add location, such as bedroom and family room for the two receivers I have. I tried a splitter so I could move my family room TV from one location to another at different locations in the same room. I did this to set it up for game playing, on the floor or a mat or pad, as opposed to an easy chair for comfortable viewing. Direct TV detected this and cut me off on that receiver until I eliminated the splitter. I used a longer cable from the original connection, without splitter, to resolve the issue. They restored the signal then.

I say misleading because the picture I see on your screen is different than what I see on mine. My receiver has a dual input to allow for connecting to either the dish or cable. You must have been short on names if you had to name your custom "Cable" As a guest user on your system, unless explained prior, I would assume, as I did watching your video, that you were, in fact, connecting to a cable feed. Sorry I am so dumb.

You really lost me on the 3 LNB explanation. With proper placement, my current dish would get all three dishes with the single dish.and a single connection per receiver. I don;t understand your explanation on the location of the splitter between the LNB and the set. Three LNB's would indicate to me that you would have three  receivers, one dedicated to each LNB. I assume the splitter you have is at the end of the coax and if you want to split the signal from that specific LNB/coax, that the splitter is where the coax is split to go to each receiver. Have I got that right?

I am also guessing that you were in a technical department, but not in customer service. In my 83 years I have been in all of the positions. Patience please!!

At least please go to the WIKI-LINK I refered you to.and read what it says before trying to tell me what you have not seen or considered. This is a short version of what it says

Link TV previously carried programming from Al Jazeera English but the programing was discontinued as part of Al Jazeera's entry into the U.S. market with Al Jazeera America. Al Jazeera English's news programing was replaced by that of France 24.[3]

shannon01

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

You are correct your system cannot use any type of splitter but the SWM system can use approved splitters and the reason you cannot use a splitter is that your receivers uses 13 volts for the odd transponders and 18 volts for the even transponders.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks, but that is a slightly older version on thr remote I currently have. I have saved it for reference because the applicable portions are explained much better.

shannon01

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

Scroll down to page 38 does that look like your favorites list?

benstroh

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

6 years ago

This conversation has confirmed what I have always thought:  that DTV does not have a "special" satellite for just HD programming and another for SD programming. If what's been said is true, then the same signal is transmitted for both HD and SD, and the receivers determine if someone has HD or SD, not the signal being received.  This, in turn, also would confirm my contention that no one should be paying more for HD service anymore.  Back when HD was truly a luxury, then DTV had a good argument for charging more. Now, however, there are no longer SD tvs being sold in stores. You can't even find an SD TV in a pawn shop!  Yet, DTV charges a ridiculous $10/month for HD services.  HD is the new SD! Pretty soon, Netflix will be broadcasting in 4k, which is twice as high quality of HD!

The charge for HD needs to be completely removed because no SDTVs are being sold in stores.

shannon01

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

6 years ago

The older 101,119,110 sats are SD only and are very old and will eventually die,  the newer ones are HD and standard def programs can be sent through them in HD.

comm. sat. also have the longest life span (it’s a round 20yrs these days) , before the satellite runs out of fuel.  DTV launched the 101 and the others in the 90's

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

6 years ago

No, it is not the same signal.  Almost all SD channels are delivered via transponders on the 101 and 119 satellites. HD channels are delivered via the 99 and 103 satellites. There are also a handful of SD channels delivered via the satellites at 99 and 103.

Two things to remember. There are some dishes (the 18in round and the oval Phase III dish) that do not receive the satellites at 99 and 103. And the SD receivers (D12 and R16, and earlier) won't receive any signals from the 99/103 satellites.

The extra monthly charge for HD is just a pricing issue, DirecTV (and the other providers) could just as easily make up the same revenue another way. Maybe one day they will. Maybe also DirecTv will one day replace the millions of SD receivers and dishes with newer ones capable of handling signals from 99/103 - then they will be able to transmit just one signal for each channel, and that would free up the bandwidth on 101/119 to be used for additional HD channels. But there are tens of millions of these SD receivers out there, so the switch is not going to happen soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…