Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

Sat, Feb 8, 2014 4:36 PM

Direct TV originally had two satellites and added the third. Due to location restrictions for my dish I can not get the third dish. I find that in the programs I subscribe to there are a host of "FREE" programs included that I do not want.

I am sure that since there is a larger customer base on the two original satellites, why can't all of the "FREE"  programs be moved to the new satellite and the subscribed to programs be left on the two original satellites that have the larger viewing base? If I go down my entire guide of programs that are available I believe the free programs equal or exceed the subscribed programs. Another solution would be to put all of the "FREE" programs in the same number group, such as PPV, and not include them in the package programs. I love Marrie Osmond, but don't spend hours watching her diet program!

Responses

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

I have no DVR's. My receiver is a D11/300. Direct TV tech support tells me that is the top of the line receiver for the coax and dish I have, Only replacement service available is refurbished identical models, no new in box models. You still don't get it, do you? Why move established programs from any location to another to insert a new program? Moving an old program to a new location does not create more channel space, does it? A great example is putting DOGTV in the middle of the news channels. I am sure that in your eyes there is a valid explanation for that. Why not switch 202 CNN into the DOG slot? How did CNN get so far away from that group?? Yes, JLTV is still in the same group, but is now listed in the printed program guide with an asterisk, and I assume that you know what that means.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

6 years ago

placement on the guide does not dictates which satellite a channel is on.  you can have two channels "back to back" let's say for argument sake, 354 and 355, 354 can be on the 101 while 355 can be on the 103.  With your equipment combination, the receiver has no idea what dish is hooked up to.  the user "tells" the receiver what type of dish you have 

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

6 years ago

CNN paid DirecTV to be at 202, otherwise it would be with the news stations. And no, the D11 is an old receiver, the current SD receiver is a D12.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

No kidding, I thought Direct TV gave their channel space away free. Are you saying Direct TV has no say so on where their customers are placed? I think I have been telling you that I have an old receiver. Direct TV also says the D12 will not replace the D11, do you agree?

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

On the channel feeds you can generally say that the evens are on one feed and the odds are on the other feed of the same satellite, true with all of the satellites.If you are really interested you can go to setup, select the satellite you are interested in, and see what the feeds are by even and odd.With my equipment (receiver), there is no way to select dish. It automatically tells me what dish is attached, my receiver type, serial number and card number. Your equipment might allow different things, but my equipment will not.

peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

6 years ago

On the channel feeds you can generally say that the evens are on one feed and the odds are on the other feed of the same satellite, true with all of the satellites

Incorrect.  as an example DoGTV is on Channel 354 on TPD 7 @101

Again, I urge you to learn the basics of satellite before spewing inconstancies

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

6 years ago

No, that's not how it works. If you really want to see what satellite and transponder corresponds to each channel go look at the Domestic transponder map at Transponder Maps: Domestic & LatinAm ~ Data Refresh 2/5/2014 - DIRECTV Tips and Resources - DBSTalk, you will see the allocation is much more random that that. Quite often DirecTV will group some channels that need high data rate (e.g. sports) with a group of relatively static channels, to maximize their use of bandwidth.

The D12 is a newer SD receiver than the D11. But the CSR won't replace the D11 with a D12 if the D12 is working OK, there's really no value in going to a D12.On both receivers, you specify the dish type by going to menu>favs-setup>sat setup (or something similar, I don';t have a D11). Then you can specify the dish type.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

6 years ago

Hot off the press. JLTV is apparently moving from the 119 satellite to one of the "HD" satellite, either 99 or 103.  This means that you will need a slimline dish and an HD receiver to receive it (it does not necessarily mean the channel will be in HD, there are several SD channels on "HD" satellites.

That means by upgrading to HD you will, assuming you can see the 103 satellite, be able to receive the channel.

By calling DirecTV and explaining that the channel is moving and you need a change in equipment, you might be able to get the upgrade free of charge. If the CSR says no, ask for a supervisor. Don't tell him you can't receive 119, say you have an oval dish that will receive 119 but after the channel moves you won't be able to receive it.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

I think you are overlooking the point that Direct TV tech support has told me that the dish I have is the largest dish that will connect to my existing wiring on that end and my receiver is the best receiver that will connect on the other end.If you feel this is not correct, please let me know and give me some information I can use to counter when I talk to them  I would also appreciate info you could provide on specific point of contact with address and/or phone number and name and/or department. I am not interested in HGTV. I am more than satisfied with the picture I get. Don't forget, I am 83 years old and what I have now is a great improvement over a rotating antenna and a black and white picture, and the older C dishes with direct free feeds, which I sill have available and useable..

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

6 years ago

Well neither of those DirecTV statements is exactly true although I understand why you must have interpreted them that way. The dish you have is the only SD-only dish capable of receiving 101, 110 and 119, it has nothing to do with size. At the time of your install, the D11 was the standard SD receiver. As I said, it's now been replaced by the D12.

I am just trying to give you advice how to get JLTV.  If you stick with the dish and receiver you have there is no way to get JLTV because it is going to either the 99 or 103 satellite (don't know which at the moment) and that will require a different dish and receiver.  I am suggesting you do the following:

Call DirecTv and tell the CSR you have a problem because a channel that is important to you and is in your program package (JLTV) is moving from 119 to a satellite, either 99 or 103, that you can't receive with your current equipment.  Say that you think they should replace your equipment free with equipment which WILL receive JLTV on its new satellite. If the CSR does not know what you are talking about, ask to talk to a supervisor.

They can replace your dish with a slimline 3 dish and your receiver with one that is capable of receiving the 99/103 satellites and in theory you don't need an HD subscription to do it. If the CSR says they can upgrade the equipment free but you have to pay the HD subscription, just say you think that is unreasonable since it's DirecTv that is moving the channel. At the very least, many people have got HD service with the first two years free (it is normally $10 per month).

When the installer comes, just let him do the install. Best case he will use your existing cable. Worst case he will need to run one new cable from the dish to your receiver. If he is an experienced installer he will know he can use the existing cable as long as the cable run is not too long. If you do not agree with what he is doing, just cancel the install and go back to what you have, you have nothing to lose by trying.

There's no "contact" I can give you at DirecTV. All I can do is explain the situation and arm you with as much information as possible before you talk to a CSR.

EDIT: By the way, there is currently a "banner" on JLTV on 119 that explains the move. The banner isn't there all the time though. See this thread Jewish Life TV moving off SD receivers - DIRECTV General Discussion - DBSTalk for more info

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the info. I do have the service contract with free upgrades every two years, but as indicated, I am at the top of the line for the equipment for my situation, so I get refurbished equipment of the same kind if anything goes bad. Thanks

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

I think you are overlooking the point that Direct TV tech support has told me that the dish I have is the largest dish that will connect to my existing wiring on that end and my receiver is the best receiver that will connect on the other end.If you feel this is not correct, please let me know and give me some information I can use to counter when I talk to them  I would also appreciate info you could provide on specific point of contact with address and/or phone number and name and/or department. I am not interested in HGTV. I am more than satisfied with the picture I get. Don't forget, I am 83 years old and what I have now is a great improvement over a rotating antenna and a black and white picture, and the older C dishes with direct free feeds, which I sill have available and useable..

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

I don't think I said that there was a correlation between channel numbers and feed numbers. I only said that the numbered feeds on  A & B sides of the satellite,  have even and odd feed numbers evenly divided between the feeds, at least that is the way they show on my receiver, not related to the program guide.Sorry I am spewing.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

Your experience with C-Band may explain your lack of understanding about how DIRECTV works.

As someone mentioned above, if you'll look at the spreadsheet for the domestic channel lineup located here: Transponder Maps: Domestic & LatinAm ~ Data Refresh 2/12/2014 - DIRECTV Tips and Resources - DBSTalk   You'll see that all of the "channels" on DIRECTV are spread across 3 satellites in a very random order. Your receiver "maps" a satellite and transponder to a "channel."

For example: The SD feed of CNN is located on satellite D8 @ 101W on transponder 11. Your receiver maps that satellite and transponder to channel 202. DIRECTV can "move" a channel number anywhere they want and it does not necessarily mean the channel has moved on the satellite. They do sometimes move channels around on the satellites as they need to for bandwidth reasons, and if they do move the channel on the satellite your receiver still maps it to a specific channel number and to the basic customer they never even know the channel moved. It's not like the old days of C-Band where you had to follow a channel to a new satellite and transponder when it moved, your receiver does that for you.

In the case of JLTV, it is in fact moving to a different satellite - on that you cannot currently receive. In order to continue receiving it, contact DIRECTV and explain that you would like to continue receiving the channel and they will get you the equipment you need.

As for this "I have the best dish for my existing cable", I have no idea what this means. If the current coax  you have works now there's no reason why it will not work with the Slimline dish that receives the 3 main satellites including the HD feeds. Again, contact DIRECTV and explain that you need to upgrade to a Slimline dish and they will take care of it.

I understand that it's frustrating having to change dishes and receivers to keep up with newer technology. In order to continue to offer new channels to customers, DIRECTV has to continuously upgrade their satellites and equipment. You have two choices: Get left behind with older technology and except that you'll continue to loose channels, or upgrade to new equipment and have the benefits of new programming and the ability to continue to watch the programming you want to watch.

As for the ability to remove the paid programming channels, it should be as easy as setting up a list of favorite channels. I'm not familiar with your receiver (I have the Genie HR44) but I have a Favorite Channel list that has all of the sports, religious, and paid programming channels removed. As long as I've selected that Favorite Channel list, I never see any of the deleted channels in the guide and never pass by them as I'm channel surfing. You may need to check the owners manual for your receiver to be sure you've correctly set up and are selecting the Favorite Channel list.

As others have said, DIRECTV customer care should be able to assist you with all of this. Debating about it on an online forum will not resolve your issue. There are a lot of very experienced people on this forum (as well as the one linked in this thread) and I can assure you that they have provided you with some excellent answers.

(NOTE: No, I do not work for DIRECTV. I just have a great amount of experience with digital satellite systems and have spent a great deal of time in online forums about satellite TV - where I've learned a lot about how things work.)

EDIT:  Also, you questioned that actual channel lineup grouping. MOST of the channels are grouped together in such as news, sports, PPV, movies, etc. There are a few that are scattered about. As someone above pointed out, some channels pay DIRECTV to be at a certain spot in the channel lineup. CNN and ESPN have paid DIRECTV to place them on the channel numbers they are on. The paid advertising channels are duplicated and spread out across the channel lineup because DIRECTV wants you to see them (it's because of shared revenue between the infomercial channels and DIRECTV.)  I agree, it's aggravating to have to go from 202 to the 350s to view the news channels, but that's the way it is.

Also, certain channels pay DIRECTV to carry their programming - other channels DIRECTV negotiates a contract with the channel to be carried. The ones that don't pay or don't agree to the contract terms gets dropped. Certain religious and public interest channels are carried because DIRECTV is required to carry a certain amount of public interest channels on each satellite. There's not a requirement on WHICH public interest channels they provide or what satellite they are carried on, only that they have a certain NUMBER OF those channels. DIRECTV is not required to carry JLTV and they can move it where they need to place it. This is a business practice that's not going to go away no matter how much someone complains about it. It's just how pay television providers work - all of them.

Good luck to you.

olddoguser

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for your observation on C-Band. Believe it or not I can also drive a stick shift and automatic transmission car or truck.

It has been my experience that when Direct TV moves programs to different satellites they also change the channel number on the viewing guide. Have you explained to Direct TV how useless that is and get a response?

Your last paragraph makes no sense if you look at it. Remember we are only talking about the few satellites that carry Direct TV Channels out of the large number of satellites the company owns that are used for other purposes. Back to the original question, what could be the possible justification for moving the Jewish TV channel and replacing it with the AlJheerza Channel? They are both generally the same in that religion is not the primary programming on either channel. Under your argument about channel numbers and satellite feeds not being related, what possible justification could there be to change the channel number? I like the old programming offered from 50-70, such as Gunsmoke, Bonanza and etc, as opposed to what was on LINK, which is very slanted political type programs and etc.

On your custom channel setup were you able to delete or remove the channels that are not in your package? The only ones I can delete are the ones I subscribe to, leaving a predominance of FREE channel on my program guide. It is not that I really doubt what you are saying, but I would like to see a screen shot of your viewing guide with channel 222, 223, 255 or 259 removed from the lineup shown on the guide. Those are examples of channels I can not delete on mine.

You talk about upgrading to take advantage of newer technologies. My house is a well kept brick, three story 110 year old brick house in a historic neighborhood. I did a major renovation and had all of the external wiring placed inside and out of sight. To rewire would cost well over $2000.00 as a custom installation. I am satified with the pictures I am getting and have no desire to get HGTV. Why would I want to upgrade just to keep up with technology. As an example, on one computer the OS is DOS 6.2. The only program I run on it is a large Peachtree Accounting program that I am completely satisfied with and fully understand. I have looked at newer accounting programs that offer a multitude of additional features, such as internet access and cloud storage. I do not want or need to go online to get what I want done, so technology is good, but not always an improvement for the user. I really believe that if UHF airwave TV upgraded to what the satellites offer, it would be a better choice. The problem with line of sight transmissions you would never have enough customer base in the radious to make it profitable, and that would be the major limitation.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…