Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

• 

1 Message

Mon, Apr 6, 2020 11:22 PM

compatibility with King VQ4100 antenna

I have an R-22 200 receiver, can anyont tell me if it is compatible with the VQ4100 Quest antenna from King?

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20K Messages

2 months ago

Only until DTV finishes shutting down the MPEG2 channels. All SD only dishes are now obsolete. The R22 is still usable if you have an HD DTV receiver on the account.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

2 months ago

DirecTV has been shutting down their MPEG-2 (SD-only) feeds since April 2019. So the King VQ4100 needs to be replaced as it only works with DirecTV's MEPG-2.

Going forward we all need MPEG-4 boxes and receiving dishes/domes.

The R22 is a special model. It is MPEG-4 capable, but only if you have at least one HD box active on the account. It was designed in the early MPEG-4 days, as some areas even with SD-only service still needed MPEG-4 to receive their SD local channels. So as long as you already have an HD box and replace the King, then the R22 can still be used (assuming the R22 is already active on the account).

You will need to get a current slimline dish that you put on a tripod/sled mount to manually aim, or the Wingard Trav'ler (DirecTV version) for automatic aiming.

As a note for King, always look at the specific specs not just if it says SD/HD in general. Check by specific provider. For example:

Service compatibility:

DIRECTV® SD programming (does not receive DIRECTV HD programming)

DISH® HD & SD programming

Bell ™ HD & SD programming

That means it is not compatible going forward as does not work with DirecTV's HD (MPEG-4) feeds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.