Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
F

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Jul 11, 2020 12:57 AM

can i activate a new access card online?

i received 4 new access cards via fedex with a notice that i needed to swap out the old ones or my service would go away.  i did this for one receiver.  when i turned on the tv i saw a screen that told me to activate either online using /711 or to call an 800#.  i tried the online url but got an error message.  then i called the 800# & was put on hold forever.  there was no chat available.  does anyone know an online activation work around?  otherwise i'll just have to cut the cord whenever the old card expires.  no way am i going to wait on hold for something i didn't want or initiate.  thanks for any help

Responses

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

a month ago

Just out of curiosity what are the model numbers of the 4 receivers? If they're old enough to have expiring access cards then they're probably standard definition ones and in that case the receivers also need swapped out 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

thanks for your reply. yes, they are standard definition receivers.  we've had them for many years.

they didn't say i need to swap those for new ones when they sent the cards, but you may well be right.

maybe i'll see if ordering new ones is easier than trying to activate.  

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

a month ago

DTV is shutting down the MPEG2 channels making the SD only receivers obsolete so don't know why they would even send new cards. DTV has a free swap offer that include the new dish.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

@fspeltzm 

Any D or R models (or older manufacturer branded boxes; i.e. Hughes) must be swapped. DirecTV is completely shutting down the MPEG-2/SD-Only feeds, so going forward only MPEG-4 boxes and receiving dishes will work.

To be sure, what are the exact models of the boxes you have now?

As a note, the R22 is an exception. It is a MPEG-4 capable box, but you do need at least one dedicated MPEG-4 box on the account for R22 to work properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

@shannon02 , I know it doesn't make any sense, I've seen a few posts about needing new access cards as opposed to new receivers.🤔

• 

4 Messages

thanks to all of you who have replied.  re the model #, it is D12-100.  i have 4 of these.  it sounds like i need to replace them, and i am grateful to all of you for enlightening me.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

D12 is the last MPEG-2/SD-only non-DVR made for DirecTV. Those absoulutely need replacing.

Call DirecTV and request their MPEG Swap (not "upgrade"). This is complimentary, so no cost and no new service agreement as is required to continue service. Their swap program has normally been for a Genie and Mini Genie Clients, as stock has been low on H24/H25s (so the latter usually only obtainable through a traditional upgrade).

Regardless of what you order, check order confirmation to verify all is as expected before the install is done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

i'll try to get the swap, if they ever answer their phone.  thanks again to all for your help, and why didn't they tell me this in the first place?

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.4K Messages

a month ago

why didn't they tell me this in the first place?

I have no idea, it's actually disturbing to me that people are getting emails to only replace the access cards when the whole receiver(s) need replaced or "swapped".  A new access card can't make a standard definition receiver a high definition receiver ( change from mpeg2 technology to mpeg4 technology)

Get started...

Ask a new question