Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Jan 27, 2020 1:58 AM

Caller ID

I accidently turned off my caller ID on my Genie receiver and now customer service is telling me that I cannot turn it back on. Why not? This was a customer option before someone decided to make it impossible to turn it back on. Since AT&T took over, customer service is not as good, and this is another example of decisions being made without input from your customers. I want my caller ID

back.

Responses

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

a month ago

Hello,

A newer model box Genie HR54 ended the phone jack and therefore this option to show called ID.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

a month ago

You were told correctly, caller ID is gone forever

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

DTV dropped support for caller id long before AT&T came along.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

a month ago

@TexasTVguy

DirecTV discontinued support for Caller ID on TV years before AT&T acquired them. It was just left to operate as it was in the old software. So this is not an example of an issue with AT&T customer service as the change was long in the making. Sorry you are only finding out now.

The feature encouraged customers to be connected so they could order PPVs, send anonymous viewing data, and in very old models receive software updates. Now boxes may be internet connected for the viewing data and PPV ordering by remote, and the software updates come fully through the satellite feed now.

The new software removes the menu options for outdated features no longer supported and boxes are not made with phone jacks anymore. The 2nd generation Genie (HR44) is the last box made with a phone jack, but also receives the new software. Once turned off, Caller ID is gone with no option to comeback no matter how much you want it.

Any other box with a phone jack stays on the old software. So you can still have the feature on other TVs you have. And better to have an HDDVR than a Mini Genie Client anyway (more capability, no difference in monthly cost). Other than that, using your phone or a specialized Caller ID box if you want something more, are your options.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*