Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Sat, Dec 29, 2018 3:49 PM

Best setup for 8 TV's

Will be moving to Delaware in April.   The only options are Directv and Comcast.  Would love  to have the NFL Package but the hardware talk  is more than a little concerning.   We currently have Verizon Fios, but that's not an option in the new house.    I've chatted a couple of times with Directv and they always tell me we would need the Genie 2 for 8 TV's.  Is there any hope for a software fix in the next couple of months or is that just a failed design?  Alternatively, is there any other hardware setup that could work for us?  Sorry for the long post, just trying to figure out if Directv is a viable option for us.   

Responses

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a year ago

8 tvs is a very custom install, and will have a high price associated with it.

again, check for a local installer, maybe a custom av company

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Will do.  Thanks.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

a year ago

HI everyone.  I've had a 9 tv setup for awhile, but I assumed the equipment has changed a lot since I did it.  I'm now running into some issues with needing equipment upgrades and DirecTv not really understanding how to make it all work.

current state:

1 HR44-700 Genie Gen 2

2 additional Minis serving 3 separate rooms

1 HR24-500 HD DVR that is on it's last leg.

1 HR21-200 HD DVR that works ok, but barely gets used

4 H24-100 HD Receivers in 4 additional rooms

I want to upgrade (at least) the HR24-500, but tech support is saying i need to upgrade the "Main Server" which they say is the HR21-200.  That apparently requires an upgrade to all 4 of the H24's.  

Is there not a scenario where I can just upgrade the HR24-500 to something that actually works, and leave all the others alone?  

Thanks.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a year ago

the hr24 has no upgrade, it was the last 2 tuner dvr directv did

the hr21 can be uprgaded to an hr24

the hr44 upgraded to an hr54

you can replace a defective unit with the same unit (hr24 to hr24)

thats it

a genie 2 only does 7 tuners, it wont work for 9 rooms

the only other option is dish network

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

19.9K Messages

a year ago

There is nothing newer the the HR24 as it was the last receiver made before the Genie line came out.  DTV should be able to replace it for $20 shipping covered if you have the protection plan.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

a year ago

@jewilson2 wrote:

HI everyone.  I've had a 9 tv setup for awhile, but I assumed the equipment has changed a lot since I did it.  I'm now running into some issues with needing equipment upgrades and DirecTv not really understanding how to make it all work.

current state:

1 HR44-700 Genie Gen 2

I want to upgrade (at least) the HR24-500, but tech support is saying i need to upgrade the "Main Server" which they say is the HR21-200.  That apparently requires an upgrade to all 4 of the H24's.  

Is there not a scenario where I can just upgrade the HR24-500 to something that actually works, and leave all the others alone?  

Thanks.

They're wrong.  The "main server" is the HR44 Genie DVR.  There's no pressing need to "upgrade" it.  Just have them replace the defective HR21.  No cost if you have their Equipment Protection Plan. Otherwise just $20 for shipping.  And do NOT let them convince you to "upgrade" to the newer HS17 Genie2 Server.  It's not ready for prime time.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a year ago

@jewilson2 wrote:

current state:

1 HR44-700 Genie Gen 2

Thanks.

Only Genie works as a server, which would be your HR44. Only one Genie may be on the account. Do NOT "upgrade" to a Genie-2 (HS17) as that would be a big downgrade to your setup as it forbids all boxes that are not clients, so hard caps you at 7 tuners with no independent processing, coming down from your 13 tuners.

A warranty replacement of any HDDVR (such as your HR21) would result in a HR24 as that is the last regular HDDVR made and only one still in stock. Warranty replacements are $19.95, or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan.

The only upgrade to consider would be HD non-DVR, or Mini Genie Client, to HDDVR. However the max supported tuners for a receiving dish is 13, which is what you have. To go above that would mean installing a 2nd dish. No difference in monthly cost, but boxes on the two separate dishes would not share recordings as it would be separate wiring networks. And as is not standard install you probably would have to pay for the additional dish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com