Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
amidnightsoul

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Jan 13, 2018 3:00 AM

Are the Genie 2 issues resolved?

I planned to upgrade my equipment so I could get available 4k programming.  I requested an HR54 to replace my existing HR24.  I also have an HR44.  The rep said I couldn't have two Genie servers, which I understand, so settled on replacing the HR44 with the HR54, but then she said to get 4k I need the mini also and since the new DVR has 2TB of storage, I wouldn't lose any space if I also exchanged the HR24 with the mini.  It's time for my free upgrade, so I said fine, but when I went to check on my order online, it's showing a Genie 2 instead of the HR54. Are the issues with the Genie 2 fixed?  I don't see any info online about issues after mid-Dec, so I'm hoping the issues have been fixed.  Also, does the Genie 2 really come with 2TB of space, or is it really only 1TB?  For some reason, she put the order in for 2 mini's & the Genie 2, but when I called they said it wouldn't be a problem, since the tech will just take the extra mini back with him, but it's made me not be confident in what she told me, since there was never a discussion about needing 2 mini's.

Responses

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I believe he is saying that Directv has sent him that many tuners; the
Genie 2 towers themself. Saying they have sent him that many to try and
fix it. I am already on my second and it's not working either. Same
problem as the first.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Would you upgrade to g2 since software release? I had direct installed 2 weeks ago and then they disconnected and cancelled my account- No one can tell me why and they say I do not have an account for direct-They are setting me up for new install even though I have all the equip in house from 2 weeks ago!

i was a dish person for 15 yrs and although I did not like their failure to upgrade my leased equipment ,they never cancelled me at the flip of a switch. I was on phone for 6 hrs with various levels of att and David. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

No I would not upgrade knowing what I know now. I too was with Dish and
NEVER had an issue. Thinking perhaps I made a mistake switching to Directv.

Associated Member

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

The Genie 2 would Give him 500 more Gigs of recording space. Why is it not Encouraged?

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

3 years ago

Genies have a 1TB hard drive the HS17 has a 2TB hard drive and a lot of bugs.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have the genie 2
But still do not have streaming to phone.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I had the genie 2 install about a week ago.

The set up has a stand alone bridge with the genie 2 bridge I have six TVs ..3 4k and 3 hd the genie 2 bridge works the 3 wired 4k minis  and the stand alone bridge works the 3 wireless minis have not had any problem working very well faster than my other genie 54 hd 700

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I too scheduled to have upgrade to Genie 2 to get the 4k capability.  Service tech showed up and refused to upgrade the equipment because of issues with the Genie 2 software.  Bad enough they no-showed first two scheduled appointments. As one would expect, a company like DIRECTV with layers and layers of getting anything right took away my free upgrade after the tech call.  Subscriber since 1996, not sure why.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

So what did you end up with? I still can’t stream to direct, no account is setup and nobody know why.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I ended up getting the HR54-500 (which is listed as the Genie 3 on my account) installed in the basement. I didn't have a receiver down there before and would just watch over the air channels when working out but I'd been thinking about getting a receiver for down there for a while now.  That worked out best for me rather than getting rid of my HR24.  They replaced my other receiver with the 4K Genie Mini.  It's worked out well.  I'm glad I did that instead of going with the Genie 2 or getting rid of my other DVR. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

Glad to hear it is working out.

It is listed as Genie gen 3 because HR54 is the 3rd generation of the regular Genie, after the HR34 and HR44. So some differences as opposed to a completely different design with the Genie-2 (HS17).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

smart move. I'm a Dtv tech with almost a decade of satellite installation experience under my belt and I'll tell you that you don't want the headaches of the Genie 2 until they resolve the issues. 

I tried to talk everyone out of upgrading to it but occasionally will get someone that will want it anyway, then once they have it, call and complain that they want their old equipment back because they can't handle all of the issues that occur with it including stopping, restarting, freezing and losing connection.

It'll be a good product eventually, but only once they've patched the bugs.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

there could be several reasons for this.  if you did the bundle with their Internet partner such as CenturyLink, they'd have to set you up on a new account by simply replacing the equipment that you have with the same equipment.

Another instance where they do this is when you've been installed  by a retailer and not a certified technician. Many times they must set it up as a new account in order to remove them out of the picture and correct any installation related problems.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

@njdevilzguy wrote:

there could be several reasons for this.  if you did the bundle with their Internet partner such as CenturyLink, they'd have to set you up on a new account by simply replacing the equipment that you have with the same equipment.

Another instance where they do this is when you've been installed  by a retailer and not a certified technician. Many times they must set it up as a new account in order to remove them out of the picture and correct any installation related problems.

If there is an install problem, in an extreme case they may have to close it all out and start new depending on how bad the setup was.

If you bundle with any of their internet providers, a new account should NOT be created as that is account fraud. Existing accounts can bundle with internet. A new account is created because an agent wants credit for a new order for both the internet provider and a new DirecTV account which is very very wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Someone should file a class action law suit against directv. I fell for the free upgrade about 9 months ago WITHOUT being told about the horrible problems surrounding the Genie 2. Spent hours in the phone with their many offshore reps before finally getting a US based rep. Told them all I wanted was my old equipment back, was originally told I could get it back but with a 300.00 fee for the swap out. When I scraped myself off the ceiling, I asked for a supervisor and was turned over to someone else who told me it would not be possible to get the older equipment back and that I really had no recourse as the problems with the Genie 2 were known issues at the time. Ironically known only to directv and other customers who were duped. They did offer a 40.00 discount for twelve months. I will have to suffer thru the problems for a few months and then get back on the gerbil wheel with them again. Shame is Directv was once a great company with excellent customer service until ATT got involved.

Get started...

Ask a new question