AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
M

• 

1 Message

Thu, Sep 17, 2020 11:48 PM

Adding a Genie Mini to existing system

I would like to add another Genie Mini to our existing system but I'm told that requires a new contract extending my commitment. Can I purchase one from Amazon and get it activated without having to initiate a new contract period?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

@MikeElrod 

DirecTV did away with purchase to own options upon launching the Genie system. So all Genies and Mini Genie Clients are lease only, never having had an owed option.

Owned options were more expensive (i.e. $499 HDDVR). If you have a free upgrade, get a HDDVR. Will net you 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and more reliability since it doesn't depend on the Genie to keep working. If you don't have a free upgrade, the one-time lease costs are HDDVR $199, Client $99, or HD non-DVR $99.

DirecTV is not going to provide free, or discounted equipment, without asking you to stay with them longer. If you currently have an agreement, it wouldn't tack onto the end but simply go from the day the new box is installed/activated.

Also that agreement is cheaper than what the owned options were. Full retail cost HDDVR $499. But have free HDDVR and decide after a year you want to close the account, then ECF is $240 as is valued at $20 for each month left. And remember, owned or leased is absolutely no difference in monthly cost as you pay $7 for the additional TV either way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a month ago

Nope, all new receivers are leased even if you get it from an online dealer and it will start a new 2 year contract.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question