AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
R

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Feb 15, 2020 7:56 PM

4way vs 8 way splitter picture quality

Hello, I just added another dvr to my DIRECTV whole house dvr system. I have a total of 9 tuners. Right now I only have a 4 way splitter so I am only able to use 1 tuner on the new dvr box. Will going up to 8 way splitter degrade the picture quality over all the tv's?

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

8 months ago

Yes there is more signal loss when using an 8 way splitter than a 4 way but it shouldn't cause any problems with the picture.

A SWM system provides both tuners in an HR24 or all 5 tuners with a Genie HR44/54 or 7 tuners with an HS17 Genie2 from a single port on the SWM splitter so you may have exceeded the SWM LNB max tuner limit, the very first SWM LNBs had an 8 tuner limit the newer ones have a 13 tuner limit.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

i just talked to directv they are sending me out a new LNB that can do 13 tuners. Can I keep my 4 way spliiter and get the 9 tuners working with the new LNB correct?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

Yes. DTV usually doesn't ship a SWM LNB they send a tech for a service call $99 covered if you have the protection plan, you can get them online if you can change it yourself it is located on the dish arm.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question