Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Jun 3, 2020 1:55 AM

4K Receivers

Going from a Pioneer Elite 50" HD plasma TV (w/ HR34 receiver) to either an LG or Sony 65" 4K OLED in the main room. For the present time I am staying w/ the Sony 23" HD TV (w/ H24 receiver) in the kitchen.

What are my options for DIRECTV receiver in the main room? Seeing as I have the Protection Plan it's a free receiver upgrade for me. I would like to keep the ability to watch, rewind and record local OTA stations via antenna in the guide just like it was satellite TV.

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a month ago

You have to have a C61K mini connected to any 4K TV as that is the only DTV receiver that can output 4K using HDMI, the HR54 Genie needed to get the 4K channels will be connected to any non 4K TV and what I assume is the LCC and the OTA coax to the OTA antenna has to be moved with it, do not get an HS17 Genie 2 as the LCC or the AM21will not work with it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.2K Messages

a month ago

If it has been at least 2 years since your last upgrade, then a free one should be available whether you have the protection plan or not.

There is no 4K receiver, only a 4K Mini Genie Client. If the HR34 and H25 are your only boxes, you have 2 reasonable options to consider.

1. Upgrade H25 to HDDVR. This has 2 tuners and 500GB recording space, though like all DVR/Genie/Clients it does not have the Autotune feature. Request warranty replacement of your "dead" HR34 which will get either an HR44 or HR54 depending on stock (your 1st gen Genie is known for overheating and being slow, but the later 2 models were redesigned to solve the issues).

2. Do a 4K upgrade. This would replace both your boxes with the 3rd gen Genie (HR54) and the only 4K model (C61K). The 4K Client goes on the 4K TV itself. Client has no tuners of its own so will take one from the main Genie. This gets you the couple channels that are in 4K.

With both options your main Genie gets replaced. Since recordings do not transfer, I would be caught up first.

Since there is limited 4K content and would result in the loss of 1 tuner overall, I would go with option 1. That way you have more capability for your entire system and a little more reliability. If you still consider 4K, here is the info for easy reference.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS

DirecTV Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs).

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thanks for the replies.

What is LCC? With ATSC 3.0 coming in, is it possible to watch, rewind and record local OTA stations in 4K via antenna in the guide just like it was satellite TV?
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.2K Messages

Local Channel Connector (LCC) is the successor to the long discontinued AM21. It is an accessory that allows you to plug a regular OTA antenna into your DirecTV box. It uses a database for local channels to put the details in your guide. So you can both watch OTA locals without switching TV inputs and record them because the guide integration. They still come from antenna, not satellite of course.

At the moment the LCC is only available in the Las Vegas and Salt Lake City test markets. Although they have provided some to those who were affected by channel negotiations within the last year, but their stock was limited. Also the LCC is only compatible with the 2nd/3rd generation Genie (HR44/HR54).

There is very few true 4K channels, and they certainly are not locals. OTA just receives the signal as is, so there is no option to rewind. Even the restart from beginning feature on DirecTV downloads from your home internet, not the satellite feed. So OTA and satellite TV are still one-way transmissions.

ATSC 3.0 sounds interesting, but again it is updating the hardware and broadcast capability. First step is TVs supporting higher content like 4K. Second is broadcast hardware to provide the transmission. And finally 4K content actually being made for the networks to deliver. So in a sense a lot of groundwork is being laid, but the abundance of 4K content is not here just yet.

(edited)

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a month ago

The LCC is the only way to add OTA channels to the DTV guide to record them.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thanks for your replies.

Is HR54 w/ C61k client backwards compatible? I"ve got the DIRECTV tech here this coming week w/ the HR54/C61k. The new 4K TV for the main room arrives next month thus for 3 weeks or so I'll have HD in the main room.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.2K Messages

The tech is not allowed to install the C61K unless you have the 4K TV there already. There is no way to verify the 4K connection works without the 4K TV. You will need to reschedule the appointment.

Get started...

Ask a new question