Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Mar 9, 2018 1:17 AM

4K Receiver Upgrade

Today I called DIRECT TV to inquire about adding 4K Service after I was called by a person telling me they were from DIRECT TV asking me if I wanted to upgrade my service, I already have Choice Xtra and pay $150-$160 a month. I was told 4K was free and I could upgrade to it, I said let me think about I so I called back. Needless to say the online rep told me I would need to upgrade my Genie to a 54 and I said ok, But then he hit me in the gut-- It will cost me $350. If you want us to pay your monthly fees, then you need to provide your customers with the equipment necessary to enjoy what we pay our monthly fees for.

Jimmy M[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Add Services

FREE
To activate, please call
1-866-257-7817
This service allows you to enjoy your favorite entertainment in stunning life-like clarity with a full-time 4K TV channel and 4K On Demand. What else do I need to view?

Responses

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Hello. Thanks for the suggestions and correct price. $499 was totally ridiculous and it was pretty evident that the representative giving me the quotes had that and a few other bits of information all wrong. I have been with DTV long enough to understand some of the pricing. Anyway, I understand the workaround you are suggesting, and it may actually work for me. I really do not want to add another HD DVR to my set up. Just one main 4K capable Genie DVR is all I need. The C61K appears to have all the needed ports to hook up directly into my AV system where my HR 44 is now located and do the same job. So, I would keep one of my minis, and replace the other for a 4K capable mini at a $99 upgrade. Not entirely free, but maybe doable at some point soon. Thanks so much for the great advice and solution and it's the first thing that has made any sense, I greatly appreciate you taking the time!

Now I just have to see if the next rep I talk to will understand all this and offer me what we spoke of here. Regards.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a year ago

If you are using an AV receiver, make sure it supports the same requirements for 4K or you could end up with some errors trying to use the setup.

I only suggested the HDDVR as there is no difference in monthly cost from a Client. Replacing a current Client with the 4K model, and of course 2nd gen Genie (HR44) to the 3rd gen (HR54) would be no difference in monthly cost either. For me I prefer the extra capability of the HDDVR (plus working if ever the Genie doesn't, like an accidental unplug I experienced once before), but that is just my preference. If you value the 2 channels in 4K more, I respect that.

One note, if you decide to invest in more than a single TV in 4K, and with it more than just a single 4K Client, only 1 TV at a time can use a 4K channel. Just a limitation in the early days of 4K. And just in case the 4K Client (C61K) is wired only, there is not a wireless 4K option (mentioning just in case so you don't find out at the wrong time).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Hi, fully understand. The AV processor is fully 4K capable as well, so there will be no issues there. It's seldom that more than 1 TV is on at any given time, let alone 2 4K TV's. I'm doing well to have just upgraded to the one I just bought. But good info and will certainly keep that in mind for any future upgrades.

But one curious thing, you say there are only 2 4K channels from which to view programs. Customer service however told me that there were 3 channels that offered the 4K programs. One was a sports channel, the other PPV channels and then the third would be a mirror image of the channels I get now, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and the general channels where certain programs in that lineup would be in 4K.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a year ago

There are 2 channels that show 4K content without paying additional. The 3rd channel is the 4K PPV channel. There can also be some 4K PPVs from On Demand. Expect to see more 4K content in the future, but nothing announced yet. All packages, with the exception of their lowest (Family) get access to the 4K channels, provided they have the correct equipment setup of course.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Great, you have been so helpful with all this. It would be great if general customer support would be as well informed. I very much appreciate all this. Thank you!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

Sorry, I didn't fully understand the resolution here.  I have the HR44 (and a genie in another room).  I now have a 4k TV and want to upgrade to receive the 4k signal.  I assumed all I would need to do is get the HR54 box instead of the HR44, but that doesn't seem to be the case?  Regardless, when I called in I was also told that I would have to pay $350 for (??) then $99 for the HR 54 and $50 for the service tech - so basically the $500 mentioned above.  That is insane, for this supposedly free service.  If it was simply $99, I could handle it - am I misunderstanding?

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

a year ago

you need an hr54 or hs17

and a c61k

the hr54 can go on a non 4k tv

the c61k goes on the 4k tv

the hs17 would require 2 mini's

are you under contract?

if not.  call in say cancel. this gets the loyalty department, they ahve more leeway

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a year ago

@acs333 wrote:

Sorry, I didn't fully understand the resolution here.  I have the HR44 (and a genie in another room).  I now have a 4k TV and want to upgrade to receive the 4k signal.  I assumed all I would need to do is get the HR54 box instead of the HR44, but that doesn't seem to be the case?  Regardless, when I called in I was also told that I would have to pay $350 for (??) then $99 for the HR 54 and $50 for the service tech - so basically the $500 mentioned above.  That is insane, for this supposedly free service.  If it was simply $99, I could handle it - am I misunderstanding?

The HR44 is your Genie (2nd generation specifically), so I assume the other room is a Mini Genie Client. So you have what should be a simple option to upgrade to 4K.

Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000

Upgrade the existing Mini Genie Client to 4K (C61K). If not free upgrade, it is one-time lease cost $99.

The order would require tech on site to swap HR44 for HR54. This is complimentary as Genie to Genie is not an upgrade (recordings do not copy over)

If service call itself is not free, it is $99. The $49.95 (some round to $50 when quoted) was the cost a couple years ago.

Most commonly the issue is agent places an order for a full Genie upgrade. But all 3 generations of Genie (HR34, HR44, HR54) are considered like for like (just like regular HDDVRs HR20 thru HR24) so is not actually an upgrade, so agent placing the order as such is in error. Upgrading 4K on Mini Genie Client results in order telling tech that HR44 must be swapped (complimentary, no additional charge) to HR54.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only a couple of channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs)

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

Thank you to both of you, that makes more sense now.  Yes, bad explanation on my part, I have a Genie Gen 2 and a Genie Mini.  So you are saying to upgrade the mini (even though that's not the TV that will be the 4k TV) for $99, and then do a swap on the HR44 to an HR54 (free).  Then the tech (for $99 that you mentioned or $50 that the person on the phone mentioned) will put the c61k on the 4k tv (which meets the requirements you mention) and the HR54 onto the non-4k TV.

I think I understand now, and its not $500 - thanks!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

a year ago

@acs333 wrote:

Thank you to both of you, that makes more sense now.  Yes, bad explanation on my part, I have a Genie Gen 2 and a Genie Mini.  So you are saying to upgrade the mini (even though that's not the TV that will be the 4k TV) for $99, and then do a swap on the HR44 to an HR54 (free).  Then the tech (for $99 that you mentioned or $50 that the person on the phone mentioned) will put the c61k on the 4k tv (which meets the requirements you mention) and the HR54 onto the non-4k TV.

I think I understand now, and its not $500 - thanks!

Yes upgrade the Mini. Tech can only install the C61K on the 4K TV itself, which puts your Genie (the swapped in HR54) on the other non-4K TV.

If order is placed correctly, the HR54 is a complimentary swap on-site, no charge. (be caught up on the recordings first as they do not transfer).

The C61K is only $99 if you don't have a free upgrade.

Service call is $99 unless you have their optional equipment protection plan, the upgrade covers it, or the agent is able to discount it.

As there are only a couple channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs) an alternate to consider is upgrading your current Mini to a HDDVR. Would gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, and does not depend on the Genie to function (can see each other's recordings of course). There is no difference in monthly cost.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 months ago

Ok, I'm finally getting around to trying this upgrade but am not having luck with the billing folks that try to do it over multiple phone calls.  They try to set me up with the Genie 2 (I assume that is the hs17?) but I tell them I want the 4k genie mini and to swap my 44 for a 54.  They say the system won't let them do it without upgrading my Genie for $299.  

Should I not be mentioning the 54 at all, should I just call and have them upgrade my genie mini for a 4k genie mini and leave it at that and then just assume the tech will have a 54 in his vehicle?  I feel that the system will still tell them they can't do that, but I didn't think to try that until after the repeated phone calls.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

10 months ago

@acs333 

Yes, stay away from the Genie-2 (HS17). Though it is supposed to more capability than your current setup, it imposes restrictions on the account, and now has a billing issue in the new system affecting some customers where you are charged another TV fee in error.

All you should do is request to upgrade the Mini Genie Client. Upgrade to 4K results in the Genie swap automatically on site from HR44 to HR54. If agent can only order the Genie-2, then either the agent is wrong (possibly trying to get credit for upgrading multiple boxes), or less options in the system then there really should be there.

Call back and just request them upgrade the Mini to 4K without even mentioning model of Genie. Just remember to check the order confirmation you receive to make sure it does not list Genie-2 (HS17). Tech is required to swap Genie with a 4K install, but a good agent will add a note onto the appointment to remind tech they will need the HR54 on the truck.

Remember alternative is upgrade Mini Genie to HDDVR (while they still have them in stock). Both options are an upgrade for you. Too bad they don't have an actual 4K HDDVR to get all the perks.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

It's so much easier the way you explain it!  Alas, after another 90 minutes speaking to another rep, then tech support and finally loyalty, I may have a resolution.  First, everyone is adamant that going from Hr44 to 54 is an upgrade (and costs $299).  In the end, the only thing that worked was to get the protection plan ($10/month if I recall - cancel any time), which then allowed me to switch from the 44 to 54 under the warranty program free of charge.  The system then would not allow me to upgrade my genie mini to the 4k mini and after many attempts of multiple individuals they concluded that I just needed to wait a day or two to call back in as I apparently can't do both changes at once?  As long as it finally works, I don't care.  Having the protection plan will make the install service call free, and if there are any issues with the 4k (as I've read elsewhere by some), I'll be able to get that taken care of.  As long as it's all working within 10 months it will be cheaper than the service call would have been. 🙂

So in the end, thanks a bunch for the help in avoiding the Genie upgrade cost - that was the main issue I had!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 months ago

Pass on the genie client it's trash and cannot consistently deliver 4K video without flipping in and out to a black screen it also kicks 4K resolution and goes back to 1080 then you have to go back into the menu reselect the higher resolution option only for it to eventually kick it again I went through a nightmare with these things and DirecTV still hasn't been anything to fix the problem or make it right with the customer they just want to leave me bitter and unhappy apparently.... So I'll just continue to tell people my experience.  Other customer service is trash to well most of the time especially if you get transferred out to the Philippine call center I mean the people are nice but they have a severe lack of understanding and training and can literally execute nothing.  

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.2K Messages

7 months ago

@Blackbeard556 

I agree that 4K is in the early/prototype days. That and the limitations of a Client is why I highly recommend a HDDVR regardless if the Client is 4K or not.

Hopefully you have the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) and not the Genie-2 (HS17), as the newer server tower model is a restrictive design and still working out the bugs. If you have the HR54, then I suggest using next upgrade to swap the C61K for a HDDVR for more capability and reliability.

As DirecTV is in the middle of shutting down their old MPEG-2 (SD-only) feeds since April 2019, this may affect any 4K fixes. They are realigning the broadcasts with their newer satellites as certain ones are reaching end-of-life. So we shall see how this might translate into better 4K support as they free up resources to work on the new baseline of HD and future 4K.