Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Mar 9, 2018 1:17 AM

4K Receiver Upgrade

Today I called DIRECT TV to inquire about adding 4K Service after I was called by a person telling me they were from DIRECT TV asking me if I wanted to upgrade my service, I already have Choice Xtra and pay $150-$160 a month. I was told 4K was free and I could upgrade to it, I said let me think about I so I called back. Needless to say the online rep told me I would need to upgrade my Genie to a 54 and I said ok, But then he hit me in the gut-- It will cost me $350. If you want us to pay your monthly fees, then you need to provide your customers with the equipment necessary to enjoy what we pay our monthly fees for.

Jimmy M[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Add Services

FREE
To activate, please call
1-866-257-7817
This service allows you to enjoy your favorite entertainment in stunning life-like clarity with a full-time 4K TV channel and 4K On Demand. What else do I need to view?

Responses

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

4K TV’s will upconvert any signal to a quasi 4K so you will still get a better picture on your 4K tv vs. and older HD TV
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Luigi22 wrote:
4K TV’s will upconvert any signal to a quasi 4K so you will still get a better picture on your 4K tv vs. and older HD TV

Maybe. Sometimes that upconversion makes things look a bit funny. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

My one receiver does not work.  It does not turn on and I have tried plugging it in different outlets.  I am paying for it and twice it was supposed to be addressed by your service people without results and someone called last Monday to be here today between 12 - 4 and have not heard any verification.  My survey answers will not be good if we do not get any satisfaction today.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

a year ago

@spudash69 wrote:

My one receiver does not work.  It does not turn on and I have tried plugging it in different outlets.  I am paying for it and twice it was supposed to be addressed by your service people without results and someone called last Monday to be here today between 12 - 4 and have not heard any verification.  My survey answers will not be good if we do not get any satisfaction today.

Not sure what this has got to do with the topic of this thread.  Best to start your own new thread with details about your equipment .... model numbers, etc.  If it's totally dead, call DirecTV and have them send a replacement .... 1 800 531 5000.  No service tech needed.  Replacements are free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, otherwise $20 for shipping.  Much cheaper than the $99 service tech fee.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

a year ago

@spudash69 

If receiver (or Mini Genie Client) is not power on then a tech is a waste of time. Call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 for a warranty replacement. Just $19.95 delivery, or covered if you have their optional equipment protection plan.

This is a public forum, not customer service, so we are customers like you. So it is not "our" service people.

In the future if you have a technical issue, or questions about your service, it is suggested to start your own thread or at least post in one that is relevant to your concern. A thread with questions about upgrading equipment to 4K service is significantly different from a technical issue of a box not powering on. Also check when the last post was. If the thread were relevant than the few months wouldn't be bad, but some threads are from years ago so be careful as many things change over time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

How can they expect to get more customers to try out their new 4K service if they have to go out and practically buy equipment which a customer will never own. It is absolutely absurd! I have been told repeatedly that I was eligible for a free 4K receiver upgrade, but never took advantage of the offer because I did not have a TV capable of it. Now I do, and all of a sudden no free up grade! A 4 k receiver will now cost me $499. And I don't own it. Absurd!!  ATT is out to lose customers with their non offers that don't stick from one rep to another.  A Company should refrain from buying out other companies if all they are going to do is swoop in and negatively change everything for long time customers. And to make matters worse, DTV's once stellar ACE department is now staffed by a bunch of people that have no business trying to retain anyone, because they are doing just the opposite. They will probably lose this customer very soon.   

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

a year ago

@Crixus1 

A 4K upgrade would not be $499. Something is wrong there.

What are the models of each box you have now?

Did you replace a TV with a 4K model, or are you adding a TV?

I have learned that ACE is front line agents, not retention. (no affiliation with those of us with the "ACE" tag here as forum labels are separate).

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Hello. Yes, I do have a new 4K capable UHD Tv at this time and wanted to take advantage of the upgrade I qualify for as a customer in good standing with protection plan which allows me an upgrade on equipment every 24 months. I have been offered equipment upgrades by ACE in the past. Further, it is in writing on my account page. Unfortunatelly I was not offered this by some very mis informed agents when I called to inquire on a possible upgrade. I have No problem consenting to agreements to remain with DTV as I'm generally quite happy with the service, but not if it means paying for equipment that I should be getting at no additional cost per DTV's own terms which I meet.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

a year ago

@Crixus1 

If it has been at least 24 months of active service since your last upgrade (adding additional TV counts), then you should have a free upgrade available. Depends on your current setup on what the exact options should be. Even if upgrade wasn't free the cost wouldn't be $499, so that was a misquote by the agent.

So please answer the above questions and correct guidance can be given.

What are the models of each DirecTV box you have now?

The new 4K TV you got is it replacing a TV already on the service OR are you adding another TV total?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Hello. The UHD 4K TV is new and Replacing the old one I have under "Living Room" in my account. So it would be a switch from my current DVR to the newer 4K capable DVR. (That would be the HR 54 I believe). I do not wish to give up the two other mini Genies I already have and use in different rooms. One agent told me I would need to give up one of those minis in order to qualify for the free upgrade. I am not wanting to do that, and it is not stipulated in my DTV account in order to qualify for the upgrade.

Current equipment:

A. The main Genie is a HR 44 DVR (To the best of my knowledge it has been two years since I was given that upgrade).

B. 2 mini Genies in separate rooms. (Those are to remain unchanged)

I hope that helps. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

I'm not seeing an answer to my reply that I was asked to send. ? Regards.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

a year ago

@Crixus1 wrote:
I'm not seeing an answer to my reply that I was asked to send. ? Regards.

See previous post.  I just replied.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Well if I do as you suggest and de activate one of the minis, one of which is in the bedroom and the other in the office, how would I then view TV in those locations?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Please disregard my earlier email, I understand the scenario here. But not sure that will work for me. By the sound of it I will need the HR 54 and a third mini. May not qualify for the upgrade then. But thanks for helping out here.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

a year ago

4K requires the 3rd generation Genie (HR54). This goes on non-4K TV because it was too far into production when the requirments updated, which are now HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60 FPS. Only one model of Mini Genie Client (C61K) meets the 4K specs to go on the 4K TV itself.

Whatever agent quoted you $499 was all sorts of wrong.

You order a 4K upgrade to one of your Mini Genie Clients. This requires tech on site to swap HR44 for HR54 so setup is compatible. If upgrade is not free than it would only be a one-time lease cost of $99 for the C61K (HR44 to HR54 would be complimentary swap on site). Remember recordings do not copy over from the replaced box, so be caught up first. Client ends up on 4K TV and HR54 goes on one of the other TVs.

As there are only 2 channels in 4K (plus a few PPVs) you could consider instead replacing a current Mini Genie for a HDDVR. Would gain 2 tuners, 500GB recording space, independent processing so not dependent on Genie to work (but can still share recordings). No difference in monthly cost so this is the option I would suggest to be the best option as it is more reliable.