Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!
srtowens

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

Wed, Jan 8, 2020 1:16 AM

Why No DirecTV App For Devices Such as Amazon FireTV?

Hi,

I know DirecTV has provided a mobile app for it's customers for some time now, you know for phones, tablets, etc, but does anyone know why after all these years they still have not provided an app for non-mobile devices such as a FireTV device? Just curious as I have a FireTV device. And I mean an app that just links to your existing account, which I assume is what the mobile app does, not an app for paid stand-alone service such as the DirecTV NOW app. I could care less about any "mobile" app when it comes to watching TV programming. I never have and never will have any desire to watch a TV program on a teeny-tiny phone screen. Again, just curious, and if this has been discussed before sorry for the repetition.

srt

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 weeks ago

DirecTV's billing model has been setup that you pay for each additional TV on the account. The DirecTV app is for viewing on mobile only. So for their billing model, and to prevent abuse by those that would try to give full service to another household, DirecTV specifically does not have the app for media streaming devices. On top of that the DirecTV app does not support casting, airplay, etc. to TV so cannot be used as a workaround.

AT&T TV Now (formally Directv Now until they finally rebranded it from the name confusion), is streaming only. So that provider's model is all about being used on devices like Firestick, Roku, etc.

So DirecTV is service primarily from satellite. The mobile perks are not for viewing on TV, just the mobile (phone, tablet) itself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
srtowens

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

Hi Juniper,

Your explanation makes sense. I guess anyone could giver their account info to somebody else who could then access the first person's service thru a media streaming device. However, seems like in this day and age with all the technology the service provider, DirecTV in this case, could come up with some kind of preventative measures. I actually would have no use for such an app on a regular or daily basis. The only reason I even inquired about such an app is because I occasionally have signal loss during storm events and it would be handy to be able to switch over temporarily to the app until the storm passes. But again its no big deal as most times the storms pass over or subside pretty quickly. Its fairly rare when the storm, and the signal loss, last for a prolonged period of time. Anyway thanks for the info.

srt

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

2 weeks ago

use the station specific apps (syfy, hallmark, ect)

select directv as your provider

follow the steps

you can then view the networks you want

it will also work better than the directv app (they really need to just pull that buggy thing)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
srtowens

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

Hi mdram4x4,

Thanks for the suggestion. I occasionally do what you suggest, which works fine. My only complaint is that you seem to have to repeatedly input a device authorization code on-line, especially if it has been a while since you last used the particular station app. No big deal, but it gets old after a while always having to run to the computer to input the code. Just wish those apps were more stable when comes to retaining device authorizations codes. But I guess that's better than not having access to the apps at all. Thanks again.

srt

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 weeks ago

DirecTV is still primarily by satellite with all the mobile or internet perks secondary. It was hoped that these options would improve with be acquired by AT&T (a full telecommunications company), but they are still working on integrating their systems and an overhaul of the software in the boxes.

When a storm or rain fade happens you have a few options:

Use the channel specific apps if available.

Download from On Demand if your DirecTV is connected to home internet.

Watch something already recorded (if you have DVR)

For short term, smartphone/tablet, even laptop or full computer

Depending on the severity of the storm/rain fade you may be able to going into your display settings and change from "Hide SD Duplicates" to "Hide HD Channels" or "Show All Channels". The HD version though higher quality, requires a tighter beam, so when it is affected by bad enough weather the SD versions may still come through.

(edited)

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

DTV is shutting down the SD MPEG2 channels so it will not be working for long.

srtowens

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

Hi Shannon02,

Shutting down SD channels is interesting. How is that going to affect their pricing structure? I mean if HD is going to become the standard or base signal/resolution instead of SD, then how are they going to justify the $10/month extra charge for providing an additional HD signal? I mean if I am no longer going to be receiving anything more than the base signal/resolution, why should I continue to pay an extra $10/month? Knowing DirecTV/AT&T, my guess would be that they will probably just raise the price of all packages across the board $10/month and never say a thing about it (i.e., no customer notification). Will be interesting to see!

srt

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

@srtowens

HD becoming the norm, does not make it cheaper than the old SD feeds. Plus they already changed their pricing structure, in late 2015 when SD-only service was grandfathered, for new customers to reflect this, though the total cost is essentially unchanged.

Old way: Primary TV fee free, HD $10, DVR $10, Whole Home DVR $3 = $23

New way: Primary TV $7, HD included service (not even listed on bill), Advanced Receiver Services (DVR and Whole Home DVR together) $15 = $22

So costs were rearranged to include HD in the costs. So newer customers growing up where HD in the norm have what they expect. But the grandfathered accounts such as ours have the old itemization so we actually see the cost of HD in the service. In then end it is their pricing structure, nothing they have to justify. Would be nice if the cost to produce HD would go down, but doubtful it would happen. I'm guessing the networks will continue charging the TV providers for their HD broadcast, so TV providers will continue having them somewhere in their costs.

srtowens

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

So essentially they have already done it, without any customer notification, i.e., just absorbed that additional HD cost elsewhere, which is what would be expected of any greedy money-grubbing company. But please explain how there is a continual, indefinite higher cost for providing HD verses SD. I know as with any new development there is always going to be initial development and implementation costs, but those costs should be recouped over a fixed, definite period of time - they should not be incurred indefinitely, and HD has been in existence for quite a period of time now. As far as the program/content providers go, they are always going to want to increase their prices regardless of any specific signal resolution as has always been the case. No response to this post is really necessary as basically in my mind the cable, satellite, program provider industry is all one big scam with regards to its basic method of providing content and related pricing. And that is not going to change in our lifetime as the US Gov has shown in the past that it is unwilling to do anything about it. So no need to regurgitate all those old issues here.

thanks for everyone's response.

srt

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

Customer notification was not needed. This is because it doesn't change the billing model for existing customers. This was the new pricing model going forward for people who activated after it changed. So no reason to notify existing customers about how new customers would see their bills.

As for the continued higher cost, because the networks keep charging TV providers more for that HD content. So unless networks drop cost for HD programming provided, then TV providers will continue to have the charge somewhere in their costs.

TV providers are not a scam as you are getting what you are paying for. You may not like the principal of the matter, but in the end this is how capitalisms works. Businesses may charge whatever they feel is appropriate for their services. Don't like it, then go elsewhere, or don't get pay TV at all. This is just the reality of the situation.

The only time I could see this possibly changing is after the completion of the MPEG-2 (SD-only) shutdown. But though that might lower costs on one end, per the ever increasing costs from the networks this might at best limit how much future price increases to the customer might be. Everything goes up, regardless where the cost is itemized. I miss $0.99 a gallon for gas instead of over $3/$4 as it is now, but I get cost has gone up even though driving is standard now.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

1 week ago

its not sd thats going away

its mpeg2 encoding, which is only used for sd

they can still use mpeg4 for sd if they choose

also any hd feed can be output as sd by the receiver

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

• 

5 Messages

One REALLY BIG problem with using streaming service to a Fire Stick with DirecTV is that 1) there IS NO DirecTV app for the fire stick any more.... they switched to the ATT NOW app, BUT... 2) They have not finished linking all of the accounts... moving the DirecTV accounts to ATT.... Sooooooooo you get directed from DirecTV to the ATT Fire Stick app.... THEN you cannot log in to use the service BECAUSE the accounts are not ready yet. Nice.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

Directv Now (rebranded AT&T TV Now) has an app for media streaming devices.

DirecTV is satellite, not streaming, where you pay for each authorized TV on the service. So their app is for on mobile devices (smartphone and tablet) only, with casting/airplay/streaming, etc. to TV blocked.

Directv Now/AT&T TV Now (streaming) and DirecTV (satellite), though both owned by AT&T, have nothing to do with each other.

• 

5 Messages

Have you tried this recently? Going to the Amazon App store on the fire stick and clicking on DirecTV Now app download takes you to the ATT Now download. All of the URLs I've tried (Fire Stick or on the computer) now redirects me to ATT Now. If you have a URL you can share to take me to the DirecTV NOW download for the firestick... this is solved. If it's the ATT Now download.... it doesn't work with DirecTV accounts yet (although I suspect it will after they consolidate much of the redundant services).

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

neither directv now or att will work with directv accounts

you need a seperate account and subscription for them

they are different companies

srtowens

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

Hi 'drwjschmidt',

I have no urls/links to share. I have never used a FireStick, only a FireTV device (1st and 2nd generation devices), and I have never subscribed to the "Now" service either the old 'DirecTV Now' or the current 'AT&T Now'. I have a satellite subscription instead. I've never even used the satellite service's mobile app as I have no use for either watching TV or managing my account on my mobile phone. Sorry I cannot help you.

srt