Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
MysticBlue

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Sun, Nov 27, 2016 4:53 AM

Why does the app suck so much?

I was forced to start using this app because DTV decided to disable the genie go.  The genie go that I paid 100 bucks for.  The genie go that worked on my mac.  The genie go that allowed me to watch shows at nearly HD quality.  Now that it doesn't work...

1.  I have a 100 dollar box that worked just fine, but is now completely useless.

2.  I have to use my iphone 6, instead of my mac.  Because they don't make an app for mac?  Really?  What is wrong with you people?

3.  Setting up and downloading a program was like pulling teeth.  It basically took 2 days.  Anytime I had the app open, I could practically watch the battery draining down by the minute.

4.  Trying to watch the program that I downloaded is horrible.  It is not anywhere near HD.  It's like watching SD in wide format.  It looks terrible.

5.  There is no forward or fast forward controls.  40 year old technology (VHS) had forward and fast forward and rewind capability.  This doesn't.  Really?  What is wrong with you people?

6  The fact that there is no fast forward or reverse controls makes it even worse when the app freezes up for no apparent reason.  Have to restart the show and it doesn't remember where you left off, it starts again at the beginning.  And there is no easy way to get back to where you left off.  Really?  What is wrong with you people?  Do you even use your own product?  If you did, you would know how much it sucks.  Do you tell people what you do for a living?  I wouldn't.  I would be too embarrassed.

Responses

MysticBlue

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

While watching playback of a downloaded show, it's been 4 times now that it has either froze and had to be restarted or the whole app completely quits on it's own, and has to be restarted.  Completely unacceptable.  Oh, and when it does work, the sound and video are not synched.  Because, you know, technological advancements like synched up sound and video are way too much to expect.  Why was the genie go disabled when a replacement for it didn't work yet?  This is a huge step backward, on several different levels... Nearly unuseable.  A complete and utter failure.  Do people who make decisions like this still have a job?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

4 years ago

With the launch of MobileDVR, though there are updates to come, Directv was not able to have both it and GenieGo/Nomad working at the same time. So unfortuantely GenieGo had to be discontinued. I agree it would have better for the consumer if MobileDVR had all features at launch. So just be patient as more info will come out. You can also check some FAQs at www.directv.com/mobiledvr which will probably show the updates when available. With the changes in technology, and the software updates required internally, the GenieGo could not keep up and would have to be discontinued regardless. So the choice was stop GenieGo and wait until all features were ready before launching MobileDVR resulting in no option at all, or do what they have done and release MobileDVR so there is still some access while the additional features are made ready.

If you need assistance or have other polite questions for the community, we will do what we can to help. I would reccomend to leave the toxicity at the door.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
MysticBlue

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Sometimes toxicity is exactly what is deserved.  For instance, do you think there is any possibility of getting my 100 dollars refunded for the now useless box that I bought?  Do you think any of these problems will be solved by calling "customer service"?  We all know the answer to that.

If I had gone through and asked about each problem individually with no "toxicity", what would the result be?  I would have spent a lot more time banging my head against the wall and getting no results.  Because apparently there are no solutions to these problems.  So, more than likely, I have saved other people who come here trying to find solutions a little time.  Now we all know there are no solutions other than to patiently wait for the highly skilled DirecTV software engineers to fix this nearly unuseable piece of software.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.9K Messages

4 years ago

Of course money will not be refunded for an owned accesory that has been replaced. Just like you will not get a refund on a VCR as we have moved into DVD/BluRay and digital media. Sometimes changes do not go as smoothly as we would prefer. Sometimes contracts require companies to release a feature, even if all functions are not available yet, on a pre-determined schedule.

Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
MysticBlue

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

"Of course money will not be refunded for an owned accesory that has been replaced"

1.  Replaced?  What exactly has it been replaced with?  Nothing. 

2.  DirecTV happily sold me the box less than a year ago after advertising how great it is and all the wonderful things it could do for me.  Knowing, no doubt, that they would soon disable it, rendering it completely useless.

So, really, your attempt to put DTV's shady practices and incompetence on me like I have nothing to complain about is pretty lame.

MysticBlue

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

bump.  So people can just read through this real quick and save some time by realizing there probably is nothing that can be done right now about their terrible app experience.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Mysticblue, you are totally in the right to be angry. I, for one, am tired of being told by these companies to "just wait for the update." Have your product ready to go from day one! As a new DTV customer, I'm really wondering if I made the right decision leaving Dish.

Get started...

Ask a new question