For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.
How do I use the Alexa voice remote with DIRECTV?
Home automation is slowly becoming the norm. Knowing that, we have decided to dive in and give our members a more effortless experience when using the DIRECTV satellite product. Did you lose your remote, or did the batteries run out? No problem. You can use your Amazon Alexa enabled device such as the Echo, Dot, or Tap to do things liked:
- Change a channel
- Record a show
- Find your favorite content
- Rewind, Forward, Pause content
If you have a compatible Amazon device and DIRECTV satellite service with an Internet-connected Genie device, you are moments from setting up this amazing feature!
Access your Alexa account
Sign in to the Alexa portal or download the Alexa app.
You can get the app on Android (version 4.4 or higher), iOS (version 8.0 and higher), and Fire OS (version 2.0 or higher). Find it in Google Play, the Apple app store, or the Amazon app store.
Set up the Alexa skill for DIRECTV
- Make sure your Alexa device and DIRECTV device are connected to the Internet by pressing the right arrow twice on your DIRECTV remote. If the DIRECTV interactive TV app list appears, you’re connected.
- Go to the Alexa app or the Alexa website.
- Do one of the following:
- In the Alexa app, tap the Menu icon, then Music, Video, & Books, and then DIRECTV.
- On the Alexa site, choose Music, Video, & Books, then DIRECTV.
- In either the Alexa app or on the Alexa site, select Skills, then Search, and then enter DIRECTV to find the skill.
- Choose Enable Skill and follow the prompts. If you have multiple accounts, select DIRECTV.
- Select Finish Setup and let Alexa find your nearby DIRECTV device(s). This can take up to 20 seconds.
- Pick the DIRECTV device you want to set up. Find out which DIRECTV device you have.
- Choose 1 or more Alexa devices to use with the selected DIRECTV device.
- Select Set up a DIRECTV Device to connect another DIRECTV device to a different Alexa device. Or, use the back button to return to your DIRECTV settings.
Heads up: You can use more than 1 Alexa device to control a single TV (i.e., a single DIRECTV device). But you can’t use 1 Alexa device to control multiple TVs (i.e., a multiple DIRECTV devices). For additional detail read our support article, Set up the DIRECTV Alexa skill.
ChrisZ, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.