Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
ktb_ok

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Fri, Oct 9, 2015 2:51 PM

Error: User ID is not authorized. [205.4]

I'm receiving the following error message when I attempt to login to both the standard DIRECTV mobile app and the DIRECTV for Tablets app.

User ID is not authorized. Please login with a different ID. [205.4]

These credentials work whenever I log into the DIRECTV website.  I called customer service last night and was sent through three tiers of support and no one seems to know the reason behind the error.  They concluded that it must be related to the device and advised me to call Samsung and/or Verizon.  I'm not so sure that it's the device though having received the same error on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 5.0) and an HP Touchpad (Android 4.0.4).

This has been happening for weeks now.  Any advice?

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

Do you have a combined AT&T + DirecTV account?  If yes, try using your AT&T login.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Scholar

• 

203 Messages

5 years ago

At times, Username/User ID are also the email; have you tried to login using your email that was used to register your DirecTV.com account?

ktb_ok

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I do.  My AT&T user ID is the same as my DirecTV ID (email address).  Is that usually the case for combined accounts?

ktb_ok

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, that's what throws the unique error message above.  If I try to use anything else, I get the standard "Invalid ID or Password. Please enter a valid user ID and/or password. [201]" error message.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

There have been several reports of this issue with combined AT&T + DirecTV accounts.  About all you can do is call them.  Ask them to "delete and re-create your account".  Some CSRs know how to do that, some don't. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ktb_ok

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you, I will give that a try.

ktb_ok

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Just called and tried to request this, but I didn't get very far.  They believe that it's a device/OS issue and are heading down that path with an escalation.  To me, it seems more like an account issue, since the app does recognize my credentials and throws a "not authorized" message.  I'm about 90% sure this started when my account merged with AT&T.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

You might want to call back and hope you get a more experienced CSR.

ktb_ok

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

Do you know of any examples of these reports? DirecTV's Tech Support just doesn't seem to be aware of this particular error. In fact, the last person I spoke with couldn't even find steps in their knowledge base to troubleshoot it.

Sky456

Former Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

5 years ago

There's numerous reports of this issue on this forum and other forums like on AT&T. It is a problem that happened since the merger. Like litz said it depends on the CSR you get. The chat CSRs experience it the most since it is a log in issue, maybe one of them can help.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

5 years ago

I realize this is over a month old, but someone may benefit from this.  I experienced the same issue.  I also have had issues logging into the website and app.  This is because the DirecTV site and AT&T Digital Life (and AT&T Wireless) sites use email addresses as the login (I have the same one as my user ID).  When I would try to log into this site, it would think I'm trying to log into an AT&T account.  If I said I wasn't and tried to log in again, it was an endless loop.  The only other alternative was reset my password, via the AT&T site, which would instead reset my Digital Life password.  I'm assuming others with just an AT&T wireless account may have the same problem if they are billed separate.  I believe if the same email is used for both you will run into issues at this time.

Eventually the app on my phone just said USER ID not authorized like you.  I could get them to reset my DirecTV password thru chat or on the phone, but later when I would come back I would be in the same loop, and still not authorized on my phone app.

My solution was to get them to reset my password on the website so I could log in on the computer with a temporary password.  What I did was change my email address (user ID to log in) to a different email address.  I can now log in on my phone, and should avoid the loop trying to send me to the AT&T site since it no longer matches.

It's not ideal, but I had a spare email address I never use, and they are free to create on yahoo, live, outlook, gmail, etc. So far it has solved my problem until they sort this out on the back end.  I will just add the other email to my phone in the meantime.

Hope this helps someone.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the tip, stradovinski!   These combined AT&T and DirecTV accounts are a mess.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

After hours on the phone with ATT & Directv, both of whom are not helpful btw for this 205.4 code error (save your time and efforts), I found what worked for our iPads and iPhones. If you have a connected AT&T and Directv account (meaning you pay both on ATT.com) you need to access the Directv app from your Att.com account - NOT the Directv.com website. Your ATT User ID can be used to login to both the ATT.com and Directv.com websites, but once you select a show to watch - if you are transfered from Directv.com to the app, the app will not recognize you as a user, will give you the error code and may not even recognize your DTV app as already installed (you get taken to Apple Apps Store). Instead, while logged into Directv.com, click the top right "MY ATT > Manage Account." You'll be redirected to ATT.com. Then under "DIRECTV CHOICE" within your ATT.com account manager select "Learn More About My Service." You'll then see your DTV billing information. Click the bottom right "WATCH TV NOW" button. You'll be routed back to DTV and should be automatically logged in. You'll know it's your account that you're logged into if you see any familiar shows that you've watched recently listed in your queu. Click "Watch on IPad" and click play for a show. You should then be routed to the DTV iPad or iPhone App and may be prompted that DTV has "made some changes" to their app. Keep clicking continue to get through their changes and then finally you should get logged into the APP to view shows. Click a show and watch. And rinse and repeat for other devices. Crazy absurd but this worked for ALL of our devices.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Didn't work for me on Nexus 7. DTV app worked until acct combined. Three PW changes, 5 chats with esculations and nothing resolved. I have one xxx@att.net user ID and PW for both DTV and ATT u-verse internet (combined acct.). Now here's where things get bizzare. Comedy Central, TNT, and SyFy apps will take ATT u-verse as my TV provider with DTV PW. ATT u-verse TV app will not ID me as a user.  ESPN app takes DTV as my provide on Windows and Att u-verse on Android.  NBCsports app and web site will take ATT u-verse as my provider with DTV PW but only authorizes limited content FoxNow app takes ATT u-verse as provider. FoxSportsGo app will not work with either provider. Directv.com works fine. MSNBC and CNN websites stream  live using ATT u-verse as provider verification. What a mess.                              

KBlack2595

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

i have ben having the same problem but for now making a new account on difrect tv worked

Get started...

Ask a new question