Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
S

• 

1 Message

Sat, Jul 4, 2020 4:11 PM

Directv relationship with IBC

I was at the local Walmart and there was company who stated they could cut my cost in half . The company identified them selves as a IBC company but I did not get the actual company name so I can not research it .  It seems their spiel is with Smart Tv they can load the Direct tv app and sent fresh equipment and lower cost.  Being on DSL, we only get about 2 mbps so that probably would not work for me.  Has anyone heard of this promotion and switched to it ? 

Responses

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

2.6K Messages

a month ago

I'm afraid that I'm biased against the third party contractors that resell AT&T products in various big box stores and door to door. I've never dealt with one personally & I know it's a closed-minded view, but I've seen years of complaints in these forums about errors in the sales process- and I'm being kind. Just remember that you aren't dealing directly with AT&T in these situations and carefully read everything before signing.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.7K Messages

a month ago

That would be a 3rd party reseller. They cannot make changes to existing accounts. So if you're already a customer, then your only option is call DirecTV support for options.

Too many times these 3rd parties are very uniformed about the products and services that they resell (not just DirecTV), and at worst you have the sales agent so pressured to meet quota or to look good for performance review that they will say anything to make a sale.

DirecTV is service by satellite, so doesn't need internet at all. Some "smart" TVs have a built-in RVU Client, also known as a DirecTV Ready TV, that can be used in place of a Mini Genie Client box. Has nothing to do with internet. However since there is no difference in monthly cost and you become reliant on the slower processing of the TV and waiting on the TV make to provide updates, an actual box is better (preferably an HDDVR over a Client anyway).

DirecTV uses internet for their optional On Demand features, not something that is required. However your DSL would need to be in the double digits (preferably 20Mbps these days) to make reasonable use of the option. At 2Mbps that doesn't cover much no matter what the delivery method is (DSL, Cable, etc.).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

a month ago

Did they specifically say they were selling Directv because it doesn’t sound like it. ATT has two different tv services delivered via the Internet, ATT TV and ATT TV Now. The ATT TV Now product used to be called Directv Now. I think they were trying to sell you one of those other services.

Get started...

Ask a new question