Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sat, Jun 2, 2018 11:42 AM

Direct tv app won’t play on TV.

When I connect my iPhone app to my smart TV I’m getting a message  HDMI output not supported .  It worked fine up to last week.   I have a different TV app and that one works. I only get that message when using DIRECTV app . 

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

2 years ago

Tech Support folks should know better.  There are even posts here from AT&T/DirecTV Support folks stating that streaming from smartphone/tablet to HDTV using HDMI is not supported.  If it ever worked for you, you were lucky. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

My lighting connector to hdmi worked for over a year. June 1st of. 2018 it stopped and started giving a signal “ not hdmi supported”. 

It worked perfectly for over a year. They must have changed something. I called but direct tv said IT was an app problem 

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

8.3K Messages

2 years ago

Again - DirecTV (satellite service) or DirecTV Now (streaming service)?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

2 years ago

Directv (satellite) does not support streaming from phone to TV. Some have gotten it to work, but it is not supposed to. You are supposed to pay for each TV authorized on the service. If you have a 2nd home, vacation cabin, etc. you are supposed to install the service there and either take your box back and forth with you, or leave box at the 2nd location as long as there are not active boxes at both places at the same time and physical service address matches where you are at.

Though AT&T now owns Directv, the AT&T stores are NOT Directv employees. They can only sell new service like the 3rd party they have been for years. Unfortunately this means they have very basic knowledge of how Directv works. Techs installing the service would be expected to know better, at least if they are Directv techs and not a contractor.

Updates to the Directv app are fixing any issues that allowed the streaming to TV to work as it was never supposed to.

There is another TV provider called DirectvNow (also owned by AT&T). Unlike Directv (satellite), DirectvNOW is service by internet streaming. So this service, sometimes seen as DTVN, is designed to stream from internet to TV through various devices.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Same issue here... very frustrating.  I was going to unplug from Directv until I found that I could use the mobile app to watch tv via data (and not going against data w/AT&T) when camping (no WiFi most times) on the weekends.  I just discovered today getting ready for a trip that it does not work anymore. 

However, now knowing this nice feature is being stopped... there is no reason in having Directv at all.  I stuck around just because of this feature and i’m sure I’m not the only one.   I for one will be unplugging from Directv.  Bad business decision if you ask me.  So many are unplugging these days - you’d think they would try to keep customers in this new and fast growing digital world.  

Oh well......

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Then they should stop selling it if you truly can’t take Directv everywhere.  If the mobile app is not suppose to support streaming tv then tell me why they are selling this on their website...  Isn’t this false advertisement?  By the way, I do have satellite at home and I pay close to 200.00 every month for directv.  Your answer - spend more money with directv.  Really?  Who cares if I plug into my tv on a camping trip a few weekends out of the year.  Again, bad business decision on Directv’s part.  Smart thing would of been letting customers add this feature to their current plan rather than just cutting them off. 

ATT Website:

Take your DIRECTV with you

Included with your package: watch your live channels and recorded shows anytime, anywhere, on your devices.

By the way, you are right... we all have the sky.  Just purchased a 90 mile range antenna w/TiVo. Oh, and it’s free every month,   Saying goodbye to Directv - you finally lost me after reading your responses to this issue!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

2 years ago

It is not false advertising. They do not advertise you can stream from your phone to your TV. You can take your phone or tablet and stream on the mobile device itself, or use MobileDVR (HR44, HR54, HS17 models only) to temporarily copy recordings for 30 days to watch where there is little to no internet, or out of country where they may not broadcast/stream.

So you can take Directv everywhere, you just cannot cast from mobile device to TV. There is a difference.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

You are wrong.

FF2B18ED-737E-4731-8ABE-B2D2DBFFA97A.jpeg

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

2 years ago

That advertisement needs better clarification. The "Switch Screens" is not to tether the phone to the TV, but essentially to tune the channel/recording of the box to that show. So "Switch Screens" doesn't mean "Tether" or "stream."

So mobile data is not to be used for streaming to TV, but using the app you can tell the Directv box to go to that program. I agree that more description is needed as too many people assume otherwise.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

This is my last response as you have already agreed to my point BUT this app is to enable you to take your Directv with you... on the go, not for in home use.  It doesn’t say “switch to your directv box” and if you are away - your not near your box.  What you are repeatly saying makes no sense.  The whole point of the app is to be mobile and have tv from anywhere and you are now saying the opposite.

I’m finished with this discussion. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

2 years ago

I agree that the line of "switch screens" is misleading. Nowhere does it specifically say using mobile data to show on your TV.

If you are using you data watching something on phone or tablet in another room of the house, or arrive home if watching as a passenger, you can use an option to tell the Driectv box to pull the program up on it from the live satellite feed. This way you can "switch screens" for convenience, but still doesn't use the mobile data itself. The only part the app does then is sending a small instruction through the service for the Driectv box to tune into the correct program.

Sorry that doesn't make sense for you, but that is how Directv had designed it. Mobile data to TV would use too much bandwidth if they made that common, with current cell phone service available. Perhaps down the road if the infrastructure advances enough they will change it to work as you and some others expect. Until then mobile data itself cannot be used to stream to TV, only to instruct box to go to the program thereby virtually "switching screens."

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

I'm very upset with Direct TV & AT&T. I was a Comcast customer for years. I explained to the salespeople we wanted to be able to watch TV when at our weekend place. Both company's AND Tech service told us it could be done. So I switched to AT&T/DirectTV. I paid to have 2 trees removed for the dish to work, bought a new AT&T phone, new smart TV (as I was told I needed), bought 12' of HDMI cable (I was told I needed), bought an Apple adapter to go from the wire to the phone (I was told I needed) These two companies have cost me a few thousand dollars. Tech support told me I was being escalated to a higher engineer with a ticket # to fix this and now I'm told IT'S NOT POSSIBLE? As soon as I'm done with this contract AT&T & Direct TV is history. I'm going to post all of this on my & my business FB & Twitter so others don't get taken the way I've been.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

2 years ago

I too had this working up until the latest update, I get a picture with the guide but do not have access to any programming.  This upsets me because we only want it for camping weekends. Seriously thinking of leaving AT&T after 20 Years. Very sad but, they have done nothing for me.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Agree! I'm on a contract with them for the next year, but as soon as I can get out of it, I'm done. I was very clear why we wanted Direct TV. It was for our weekends away. I switched my house phone, 2 cell phones and TV to AT&T. We're going back to Comcast and Verizon ASAP. I also found calling Direct TV you get a different answer each time! They all say it's going to the engineers but nothing gets done, so I'm done with them.
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

2 years ago

can anyone point out on the directv website where it says this is possible?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

Get started...

Ask a new question