Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sat, Jun 2, 2018 11:42 AM

Direct tv app won’t play on TV.

When I connect my iPhone app to my smart TV I’m getting a message  HDMI output not supported .  It worked fine up to last week.   I have a different TV app and that one works. I only get that message when using DIRECTV app . 

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

2 years ago

The DirecTV app does not support streaming to a TV. DirecTV does not want people to do this because it reduces the revenue from set top boxes.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Jrandomuser

ACE - Expert

• 

7.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Drpozar - just to make sure  - you have DirecTV (satellite service) not DirecTV Now (streaming service) - correct?  I ask because while DirecTV should never have allowed HDMI output from the iPhone app to a TV, DirecTV Now (which is a different service using different apps) does allow it.  However, since the new DirecTV Now apps (version 2.0) released over the last couple of weeks, there are reports the HDMI output from the app on the iPhone has stopped working.  (And there are some reports of ATT sales people getting the features of DTV and DTVN confused - though the Support people/techs shouldn't...)

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 years ago

@gonecamping

Many of us do not have good enough internet, if internet at all, to support streaming TV from internet. But we all have the sky which is what service by satellite is for. You do not get satellite TV if your main concern is internet streaming. In that case get an internet streaming provider (DirectvNOW, Netflix, Hulu, etc) not a TV by satellite service. Directv is still a great service, but no provider is good for everybody.

The mobile app was not supposed to support streaming to TV. Now that AT&T has acquired Directv, they have cracked down on fixing some of those "loopholes" to work as intended. The design of TV FROM SATELLITE, is to have a box in your RV with a receiving dish to get your service. It was not built to depend on internet as that is just used for some perks, not to replace paying for an authorized TV on the service.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 years ago

You can take the "TV" with you. Essentially the service in different ways. The slogan does not promise you can stream the Directv app from the phone to a TV set.

Yes the advertisements is optimized for marketing, but carefully worded so that it is still correct info. I wish more agents would explain to customers that the Directv app is not intended to stream to a TV for the reasons I mentioned above. Only specific individual channel apps allow that. Directv is a service where you pay for TVs on your account and streaming options are smaller additional perks which are not for going to a TV set.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Macfoo26 wrote:

Strike that question — I realize the DTV box needs a coax input. Is there a way to go lightning to coax?

No. As above, the DirecTV app forbids casting from the mobile device to anything else. So casting/lightning/streaming from app to anything else is not supported. It is not supposed to work, which is how it is designed.

The DirecTV box will only receive service authorizations from the satellite, not any internet option. Though it can connect to a home internet router (not mobile internet) for On Demand options, it must get the service authorizations from the satellite in the first place.

Sorry there is no option to use mobile device to put DirecTV on the normal TV screen. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 years ago

Their marketing doesn't say you can connect a mobile device to TV, you just assumed that.

Yes a big part is about money. You pay for each authorized TV on the service as DirecTV is service by satellite. Mobile viewing (taking your TV with you) is a secondary perk to view on the mobile device only, not to get around paying for the TV. This has been the design since well before AT&T bought them. Only difference is that any weakness in the software that couldn't block the casting to TV has been fixed, so now working as always intended.

And sorry, not everybody streams. Not everyone has good enough internet, if internet at all, to support it. My household's usage doesn't leave bandwidth left over to rely on just streaming. But I always have the sky.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Notafannow

This is nothing new. This is how DirecTV service by satellite was designed. There agreements with networks are for each TV to be tracked. Yes some of us would use the option short term for vacation or such, but others would use it as a way to get a free additional TV or give service to another household which is against the terms of service. So regardless if at home or not, it is not allowed. The location requirement of the app is regarding locals, viewing markets of professional sports, and of course to make sure in country as DirecTV is not licensed to broadcast/stream out of country.

AT&T's "response" has to be to keep the feature working as intended, even if you would prefer it work a bit differently.  So DirecTV does not allow it even for one device and there is no indication of them changing that. Alternatively they have come out with DIRECTVNOW which is a streaming only provider.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Sueblanton

Well that "expert" was wrong. There has never been a monthly cost for using a dish. And the dish is owned. You pay for the programming, receiver services based on level of equipment, and total number of TVs authorized on the service. You get an additional box that stays in the RV thereby adding 1 more TV total to your service, that would add $7 a month for the additional TV fee. You take an already active box on the account to use in the RV, there is no additional monthly charge as you still have the same number of TVs authorized.

I wouldn't expect you to travel on plane with an existing box from Alaska. So your option would be keeping an additional box in the RV, if you wanted to use your DirecTV service on a TV there. Otherwise you use the DirecTV app to watch on smartphone/tablet only (not connected to a TV), the mobile method it is designed for

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

1 year ago

Don't compare Directv Now app and the DirecTV app as they are different services, so not intended to serve the same purpose.

Directv Now (DTVN) is an internet streaming service so it has to stream, cast, etc. to TV.

DirecTV is service by satellite. The app is for a secondary perk of viewing on a mobile device only. To watch on a TV you get a DirecTV box and pay for that TV authorized on the service. They have been fixing the issues with the app that weren't properly blocking the casting option so that now it works as intended.

Yes it seems that this, like changing service address with moving boxes between home and vacation cabin, 2nd home, cabin or such, has been more heavily corrected to follow the rules since the acquisition by AT&T. So now the app follows the rules as originally intentioned.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Well, that's just wrong.  We purchased AT&T and Direct TV because we have a weekend vacation spot with no cable.  They told us what to do to stream our phones data free to the TV.  We did everything they told us and it worked for a few weeks.  Every time I called Direct TV I got a different answer to the issue.  If I can't stream to my TV I have no reason to keep AT&T or Direct TV.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.8K Messages

2 years ago

it will occasionally work for some

but its not supposed to at all.  you can research it on the directv website.

if you can find anything stating otherwise, then please do link it

btw, who was it that told you you could?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

The people at the store who sold us the package, every Direct TV person I spoke to in the past week. Direct TV techs even told me they were escalating the issue to a higher level. No one at Direct TV told me it can't be done. They had me uninstall my app, they had me check wires to my TV, they checked things on their end, they told me a few people have this issue, another told me there is no problem with the app. Every time I called Direct TV I got a different answer, but at NO time did anyone ever say it's not allowed.
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.8K Messages

2 years ago

which store?

was the tech the installer? a directv employee?

did directv phone support tell you this?

i am just trying to figure out why directv would say this, if it was them or a third party.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

As I stated, it was an AT&T store and the calls were all to Direct TV tech support. As I stated, the issue has been escalated within the tech dept of Direct TV. As I stated this was from numerous calls to Direct TV. Right from the app and from my account.
mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.8K Messages

2 years ago

gotcha.

at&t store employees really dont know much about directv.

i would think that tech support would