Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Jan 8, 2018 3:59 AM

Chromecast & Directv App

Is it possible to Chromecast from the DirecTV app? Normally I have my little Chromecast icon that I can click on. But I don't seem to have that in the DirecTV app.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

2 years ago

@SoCoastCritic wrote:

shannon02 --

I understand that DirecTV NOW is a streaming service and the DirecTV app used with the satellite service is not, but the answer still does not make sense. In order to watch a recording from the Genie DVR it must be downloaded to the phone through the app. Once it is downloaded there should be a casting capability from the phone to a television away from home. Without the ability to cast to a television set the app is essentially worthless. Who wants to watch recorded television on a phone?

Seems silly to many of us, too.  But that's the way it works.  They want you get a box for each TV, not download stuff to your smart device and then cast to your TV.  Their mobile app only lets you view on the device's screen.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

3 years ago

No

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tour_Guy_Bob

Scholar

• 

243 Messages

3 years ago

@Schblessings

Google Cast, Apple Airplay, and Mirror-cast are not supported by the DirecTV application, and if you cast your screen you run a high risk, no matter how good your internet and related hardware is, of a very, very, low quality stream on your television.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

People have been asking for chromecast capability to be added to Directv since 2014!!!  Directv Now has it, why not Directv?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

3 years ago

DirecTV Now is an internet streaming service, DirecTV is a satellite service that requires a dedicated box for each TV. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

shannon02 --

I understand that DirecTV NOW is a streaming service and the DirecTV app used with the satellite service is not, but the answer still does not make sense. In order to watch a recording from the Genie DVR it must be downloaded to the phone through the app. Once it is downloaded there should be a casting capability from the phone to a television away from home. Without the ability to cast to a television set the app is essentially worthless. Who wants to watch recorded television on a phone?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

2 years ago

The app does not support any kind of casting to TV. The reason being is Directv (satellite) is intended for one residence where you pay $7 monthly for each authorized TV on the service. Allowing casting to TV from the app would open the door for many people to allow another household (such as a friend or family member) to have full service on a TV without paying for their own account, or simply the account owner wants to add a free TV instead of paying the fee for it.

So for the satellite service, the app is for mobile viewing (on the mobile device itself) only. They don't want people using it as a workaround to get a free TV or to give another household free service.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

That's a dumb response at ATT. If it requires satellite,  why make the app available for live streaming from a phone or tablet? Just admit that you all are behind of technological updates. 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

2 years ago

This is a customer to customer forum not DTV support.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

2 years ago

@Shecatrice wrote:

That's a dumb response at ATT. If it requires satellite,  why make the app available for live streaming from a phone or tablet? Just admit that you all are behind of technological updates. 

Directv is service from satellite. You pay for each TV authorized on the service.

The Directv app is for secondary perks for mobile viewing.

Mobile viewing does NOT mean stream to TV and avoid paying for that TV.

So the Directv app does not support casting to TV. Sorry you think it is dumb, but you are not getting a free additional TV on the service. That is how it is built as the service is primarily from satellite. They are not behind technological updates. This is their business decision, with the rules from the individual networks (as not all allow streaming), to make sure you pay for each TV which in turn pays the networks.

No I am not an employee of AT&T. Just a very experienced and informed customer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

AT&T/DirecTV is wrong in their decision to not allow casting/ screen mirroring blows.  Customers just want to ‘view YOUR TV, take it with you’ as the ad states, on a larger screen that’s it - it’s the same stream from their app on your phone (using YOUR data, unless you are with ATT) - just want to push it to a larger screen, that’s it!  Dish allows it. All other streaming apps (ESPN, HBO Go, Fox sports, PGA, NBC Sports) allow it.  Ironically, most of these you must first authenticate with your DirecTV account login!

Bottom Line, DirecTV chooses to screw their customers, period!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

9 months ago

@Aloysius88 wrote:

AT&T/DirecTV is wrong in their decision to not allow casting/ screen mirroring blows.  Customers just want to ‘view YOUR TV, take it with you’ as the ad states, on a larger screen that’s it - it’s the same stream from their app on your phone (using YOUR data, unless you are with ATT) - just want to push it to a larger screen, that’s it!  Dish allows it. All other streaming apps (ESPN, HBO Go, Fox sports, PGA, NBC Sports) allow it.  Ironically, most of these you must first authenticate with your DirecTV account login!

Bottom Line, DirecTV chooses to screw their customers, period!

Bottom line if you want service on the TV, then you pay for that TV on the service like all others on your account. The app is for viewing on mobile only, not transferring to a full TV.

So you may not like it, but there is nothing wrong in it as that is how the service is designed. Sorry but you are not getting another TV on the service for free.

Some individual channels do allow streaming through their own apps. The DirecTV app is designed to allow the same access for all your channels. Since all channels are treated the same this way, it further prevents those users who would try to hack it to push through unauthorized channels just because they feel it is wrong.

So you may not like it, but the feature you want is not an available service through DirecTV. As such the service is working as intended.

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

I believe u can go to Directv.com n login into ur acct thru a playstation or xbox n watch ur directv channels on tvs that way.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

Logging into the actual website is intended for a pc/laptop, not a mobile device. So the DirecTV app cannot go onto any Playstation or Xbox, just like any other media streaming devices.

It has been explained how it works and why. Those who continue to try to find a workaround that is not allowed, do so at their own risk and disappointment.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

a month ago

Purchase a shield TV pro, side load the Direct tv app and you're good to go! Now you have casting and direct tv on any TV you choose!

Also most phones now have hdmi out capability, so a cable and a dongle are a simple yet not as refined way of mirroring you phone screen to another TV!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

The DirecTV app is supposed to disable video if you attempt to stream/cast/airplay from it to a TV.

You pay for each authorized TV on the service. This is why the DirecTV app does not support this feature and should disable it. To this point, DirecTV does not have the app available for TV streaming devices (Roku, Firestick, "smart" TV apps, game consoles, etc.).

Remember any workaround you try is not support and is stealing the service as you are trying to get something you are not paying for.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

Yes I agree, but when you download the app from to an android TV legally(even if side loaded) there is very little that can do. Also phones today are able to mirror their screens by hdmi which is supported by the phone! Samsung dex even supports the directv app in it's computer screen layout!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22K Messages

Mirroring is supported by the phone, not the DirecTV.

The DirecTV app should not be available for anything but smart phones and tablets. Any other device, including TVs, should not have it as an available download. Getting in on there another method is violating the service.

Point is you are trying to get something you are not paying for and as such are not entitled to. Finding a successful workaround does not make what you're doing any less wrong.

I would like this supported myself, but I see why they chose not to allow it. Their billing model is services for the account and you pay for each additional TV (a.k.a. mirroring fee). Full TV viewing for their service is supposed to paid for. As much as we may not like the way it is setup, to get it by these workarounds is effectively stealing.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

I pay for every tv I watch on, but I prefer the ui on the phone app as compared to the boxes! I have 4 boxes in my house and use maybe 2 or them! 

Also never said it wasn't wrong to do! Not saying it is wrong and it definitely not stealing as you can log into almost every channel via their app and cast or mirror with your direct TV login. Which is why it can't be labeled as stealing or wrong. Basically doing the same thing the individual channels allow you to 

Get started...

Ask a new question