Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Jan 24, 2018 9:19 PM

Where can I find out when my directv contract expires?

Direct tv

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 years ago

@BHCCAROL

If you had read the above posts you would have gotten direction for getting your service agreement. Reading your bills is just as important.

1. Bills do NOT go up every few months for no reason. The price is only adjusted at most once a year per increase of costs from the networks to TV providers. If your bill amount changes every few months then you have discounts that are expiring or have one-time charges (such as PPVs), which would be clearly listed on the bill. So review your bills to see what actually is going on or contact DirecTV if you need help understanding your bill.

2. Just like with other companies, you must call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 to discuss your service agreement. This is so a live agent can discuss the situation and try to retain your business. If you still choose to cancel, they have closing disclosures to go over with you so you know what to expect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
ANTLION

Scholar

• 

227 Messages

2 years ago

You can find that information by logging into your online account, or by calling DTV.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

2 years ago

Actually I don't think you'll find that information online.  You'll need to call .... 1 800 531 5000

Generally your contract runs for two years from original installation or any equipment upgrades. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 years ago

@ANTLION

Service agreement is not listed online. Like most companies, they want you to call and speak to a live agent to check the service agreement. This is because the most common reason to check is if you are considering canceling, so they want a real person to discuss the situation and attempt to keep you as a satisfied customer. If their offers don't work, there are closing disclosures to go over.

For reference: Directv 1-800-531-5000

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I need to know when the contract expires so I can cancel that day and go to a better company that does not raise the bill every few months.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

2 years ago

As stated you have to call DTV, bills don't go up every month so either credits are rolling off or something so you need to check the bills to find out what is causing the problem.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

That is not true. Bills do go up. They will up you service amount sometimes more than once in a year. Usually 3-5.00 hoping you will just ignore it. They also sneak a dollar or two on random services. They sometimes change your service without you requesting it like equipment insurance to different levels. I have been with them for almost 20yrs, I know all the tricks to up the amount. If you have been with them a while just call and speak to customer appreciation and see if there are any discounts. It takes time but to some of us it's worth it. Customer appreciation can do more than the average customer service Rep.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 years ago

If you make no changes, don't move, etc. then your bill should only go up when discounts complete, the annual (once-a-year) price adjustment from networks increased cost, or maybe a tax or regulation fee adjustment where you live (like the RSN fee). Outside of that the base cost doesn't change multiple times a year.

Which package you are on, or optional services you have, being changed without your doing so is very wrong. That would be an issue on DirecTV's side with certain agents, or a problem in their system causing changes going to the wrong account (or changes submitted to be done later if requested during any of their maintenance downtime). That would not be your bill required to go up for the above reasons, but an error on the billing that needs to be corrected.

Loyalty department, customer appreciations, retention, cancelations, etc. Different name referred to but same department. Their job is to try and retain customers, or close out the account if not successful. It is nice when discounts are available, but do not expect them to always be. Sometimes regular cost must be paid. So enjoy discounts when you can, but never rely on them to afford the service. Always makes sure you are not on a higher package then you use as that will be your long term savings and certainly a more stable bill.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Riceranch wrote:

That is not true. Bills do go up. They will up you service amount sometimes more than once in a year. Usually 3-5.00 hoping you will just ignore it. They also sneak a dollar or two on random services. They sometimes change your service without you requesting it like equipment insurance to different levels. I have been with them for almost 20yrs, I know all the tricks to up the amount. If you have been with them a while just call and speak to customer appreciation and see if there are any discounts. It takes time but to some of us it's worth it. Customer appreciation can do more than the average customer service Rep.

Nope.  Something is wrong if that's happening to you.  My DirecTV bill is exactly the same every month.  It only goes up once each year by a few dollars when their overall prices change.  Or it's higher if I order the rare PPV movie. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

You are wrong. I've probably been with the company longer than you have.
Your speel sounds well and good but it's not the truth. I watch my bills,
always have.
TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.4K Messages

2 years ago

I've been wi DirectV from the begi nning and have NEVER had any unknown charges added....

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Riceranch wrote:
You are wrong. I've probably been with the company longer than you have.
Your speel sounds well and good but it's not the truth. I watch my bills,
always have.

The only time the bill should automatically change is when discounts expired, the annual price adjustment (didn't used to be every year, but has been the last several years), or in the uncommon case there is a change to taxes/regulatory fees where you live (i.e. when the RSN fee started to be itemized a couple years ago). If the bill changes outside of that, with you making no changes yourself, then something is wrong.

I am curious to see the line items of those bills side by side to see what is actually going on.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

over the years it's been many times. I am not going to go back through all
my records and prove my statement. You can believe it or not. I do not want
to spend anymore time with this conversation.
For all the folks out there, anytime you call and speak to a rep. be sure
to check your bill for unauthorized changes.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 years ago

New services added without permission would be a billing error, either accidental or on purpose by a bad agent.

Base cost does NOT change except as mentioned above. From your posts it is not the base cost that changed, except for the annual price adjustment, but services added on without your authorization. That is the key difference.

If you come across either an old bill (you can view your last 24 statements online), or new occurrence, where you feel the base cost changed for no reason, then certainly post the line items between it and the one prior.

The only thing not believed is your base cost changing for no reason. Added services, annual price adjustment, discounts ending, would be actual reasons. Services added without your permission would definitely be a problem, but again would not change the base cost but add additional charges and would be a billing error.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

image.jpgAbsolutely ZERO changes to my service, no PPV

Billing amounts DO arbitrarily change. Congrats if you’ve had consistent billing. I have not.