Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Feb 8, 2017 1:50 AM

What is Regional Sports Fee?

Can someine explain why we are being charged Regional Sports Fee - Charge  if we didn't order this or wasn't made aware of these charges before hand.

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

@44158663RJ, now you're just arguing semantics.  As @Juniper pointed out you can simply change to a package that doesn't include the Regional Sports Networks.  Then you won't get charged that fee, regardless of what you want to call it. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

Note even ATT does not use the word regulatory. The word regulatory used consistently for any type of government actions, so your personal interpretation is not applicable. As for the rest, I already knew you could not support you position. You should resign from responding to posts as you are doing so in a capacity as a representative of ATT\Direct TV. All you did is allow me to show people the level of you lacking any real intellectual capacity to do so. I would leave answers like this to their legal department.  Lastly as a customer, you would be surprised how much conflict a single customer can cause for the big boys.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

@44158663RJ

We are not agents of AT&T or Directv. We are customers like yourself. Moving past the semantics of word choice, here is the base info to keep it simple.

Choice or above you have the RSN fee based on your address for the RSNs and Teams in your market.

Years ago Directv like other companies used to have it factored into the base cost to average it for all customers.

A few years ago per the rising costs, and the significant cost differences in each market ranging from a couple dollars to over $7 (or $0 if you are in a market that does not have any RSNs of their own) Directv decided to itemize it on the bill instead of averaging it out like they used to.

At the time Directv moved to itemizing the RSN fee, they came out with the new package Preferred Xtra. Couple dollars cheaper than Xtra, plus the savings of removing the RSN fee as those channels are removed (as well as some other sport channels), and adds in some other non sport channels. This package provides more bang for your buck for those that watch little to no sports.

The only way to have your Directv service without the RSN fee is changing to a package that does not include it (Family, Select, Entertainment, Preferred Xtra) or moving  to an area that doesn't have an RSN of their own. Only you can make this change, we as other customers cannot call Directv for you. So contact Directv, change to the appropriate package that still covers the channels you want without the RSN fee. That will solve the issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

{keep it courteous} You did not help at all, You did not tell me anything I did not already know.  As for Direct TV, they make it clear the RSN Fee it is NOT government mandated (as you noted) and it is NOT regulatory. They show the fee because the FCC forced the issue that all companies had to specifically show all fees because of a lawsuit some years ago.

The issue is not the fee. And again a customer or group of customers can easily pressure any company to remove things. It is done all the time.   To bad you did not see that part. I will be placing pressure on Direct TV as well as many others I know who are in the same situation. And to help the matter, many of the communication companies who provide TV (satellite or cable) do not force the customers to have the Regional Sports channels, It is an option they can select.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

3 years ago

RSN fees are payed by all customers in that region per the agreements signed by the RSN and all TV providers.  If you think DTV or any other provider will give up sports for you and a few others when you can just switch plans have at it.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

@44158663RJ, no, you're the one that doesn't get it.  Regardless of how you want to define the RSN fee, you can avoid paying it by simply changing your programming package.  End of discussion.  

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Though it is not for all of us, providing sports is an expectation for most Americans. The RSNS and related fee are optional as you choose the package accordingly. So you have the option to have the channels you want, without the sports and related fee you don't want.

Since the RSN fee is not in all packages, and there is the option of Preferred Xtra as the alternative in the higher tiers, it is not expected that Directv would be required/regulated/mandated, etc. to remove it from their entire billing structure as they have alternate options for non-sports watchers.

Being a customer like yourself does not translate into "nobody". We have differing viewpoints and opinions, which though I may disagree with your position, I still respect it.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I should not have to have less programming because I don't watch sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

@rjl19939 wrote:
I should not have to have less programming because I don't watch sports!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@rjl19939, ummmm, not have sports means "less programming".  

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I shouldn't have to GET LESS other Programming because I don't watch sports!!!!!!!!!! I mean this ultimately reduces your revenue stream. This is stupid.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

You don't get less "other" programming. You get less sports. That's it. If you don't watch sports, than getting a package that removes sports and gives you other channels is a good thing.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

you lose programming. Any {edited for word filter evasion} can see that, All you have to do is compare packages. I have l ready done that. I lose programming I watch now. Geeeeeeeeeeez

[Inappropriate content removed]

[Please keep it courteous]

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

@44158663RJ wrote:

Are you that are stupid,. you lose programming. Any mo.ron can see that, All you have to do is compare packages. I have l ready done that. I lose programming I watch now. Geeeeeeeeeeez what i.diots you people are. 

Oh my.  Such a friendly, polite response.  

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

3 years ago

Preferred Xtra has all the channels from the Ultimate package EXCEPT Encore, RSNs, and some other sport channels.

I have the Preferred Xtra package and did not experience any loss of programming and would be more than willing to verify the channels you are concerned about. What package do you have now? What channels do you think you will lose?

I am offering friendly advice. No need for the insults.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

3 years ago

You're a kinder person that me, @Juniper.  I'm done trying to explain.  I guess I'm just a stupid moron.  🙂

Get started...

Ask a new question