Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wed, Feb 8, 2017 1:50 AM

What is Regional Sports Fee?

Can someine explain why we are being charged Regional Sports Fee - Charge  if we didn't order this or wasn't made aware of these charges before hand.

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

Not a foreign language, just the name of the packages. A car brand has many different models, a tv provider has several packages. And multiple companies have taxes and regulatory fees (like the RSN which is a regulatory fee).

Here is a simple breakdown of most of their packages: https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/360

What you want, like most of us, is al-a-carte programming where we can pick and choose individual channels. Unfortunately with many channels under one owner, the networks will only provide their channels to the tv providers in packages to begin with. This is why with pay tv providers (Directv, Dish, Comcast, Cableone, Cox, etc.) have practically no al-a-carte programing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I spent the better part of today arguing with Directv about this.  In the Philly area, we don't have any regional sports channels, because Directv won't pay Comcast its asking price for Comcast Sports Philly (home of the Flyers and the Sixers).  Despite our lack of regional channels, Directv is still imposing a $7.29 Regional Sports Fee to my zip code.

After 13 years of pretty good service, I'm finally just cancelling my service.  The whole thing has been so infuriating.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

@mmm527

If you are being charged an RSN fee, then you have at least one RSN for your service address. Check www.directv.com/rsn

If checking that link confirms there is not a single one listed, then go to @ATTDIRECTVCare and send them a private message as if you have no RSNs at all the fee is not supposed to be there.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

That is wrong.  We definitely have no RSNs in the Philadelphia area.  My zip code is 18940.  This is from your link:

ZIP Code:
Update
The 18940 ZIP Code is in the home team territory for the following pro teams.
With HD Access select channels and teams available in HD are noted below:

The 18940 ZIP Code is not in any team's home territory.

I explained it to three different people with no responses other than inadequate corporate speak.  I actually believe that not one of the three people actually understood what the fee is for or why I shouldn't have it.  

To make the whole thing more ridiculous, I would gladly pay the $7.29 if they would pass part of on to Comcast Sports Philly and I could get the local sports channel!  It's absurd and so completely dishonest.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

SO it is not a state mandated item by a contractual item made by DIRECTV with sports networks. In that case you are guilty of deceptive pricing and practices.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

Not deceptive at all. It is listed on the bill. If you don't want to pay for RSNs, but are in that high of package that normally includes them, change to Preferred Xtra. That new package has no RSNs, so no RSN fee. TV providers have been required to have the RSN fee for years. Most just have it within other costs, but Directv changed it so it is itemized for transparency and more appropriate billing as it is based on where you live.

If you were responding to mmm527, there issue is according to the RSN lookup, they don't have any RSNs but were still getting charged. Either the lookup wasn't listing what RSN/teams they actually get, or were being billed the RSN fee in error. In either event they have to contact Directv to fix it.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I called about this, I am not interested and want it removed. If you cannot remove it, I will cancel my account, It is that simple. I do not have time for all the garbage and non-sense direct tv uses.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I do not want the regional sports, I do not watch them ever. Remove the regional sports fee, I will make it simple, remove it or I will cancel my service. I do care about your excuses or justifications, I want what I want, not want YOU want to give me.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

@44158663RJ

Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee is a regulatory fee. Most providers have it hidden within their base cost, Directv itemizes it for clarity. Like taxes it is based on your address and you cannot just simply request it to be removed.

The only way to remove the RSN fee is to change to a package that does not have the RSNs, which traditionally has been Family, Select, and Entertainment.

However if the programming you enjoy is in Choice and above, your option is to call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and change to the Preferred Xtra package. This plan removes some sport channels, including the RSNs so no RSN fee. It adds in some non sport channels as well. This is the package for those who watch little or no sports.

This is a customer to customer forum, nothing will affect your Directv account here. You don't dictate the options a business has, you can only manage your services within the available options. So call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and I suggest switching to the Preferred Xtra plan which will arrange the programming more to your liking without the fee you don't like.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

the RDN is not a regulatory fee. Why lie about it. ATT chose to add theses stations to the packages. I did not ask for them The only thing you did was separate out the fee because that is what you were mandated to do.  I do not want the Sports package and I am not going to pay for the RSN. I never chose it nor did I ever want it. So I see we have is a business screwing their customers. I will file a complaint with the FCC simply because you lied.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

That is not a lie. The RSN fee is a programming regulatory fee. To clear up what I think you misunderstood, it is not a governmental regulatory fee. The FCC has approved these regulatory fees for years as it is how it is structured.

Again, if your channels are in Choice or above then simply change to the Preferred Xtra package which removes the RSN fee. Directv offers packages without it, but it is up to you to select the different package.

So if you don't want the RSN fee, go to a package that doesn't have it, simple. The fee will not otherwise be removed because you simply don't like it. If it makes you feel fuzzy you can certainly submit a complaint to the FCC, doesn't matter to me as I am just another customer and since the FCC has allowed it for years I doubt it will bother them or any TV provider.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

What you say is a lie, it is not an FCC mandated fee, one can look up all the mandated fees by the FCC. Even ATT states it is NOT a government mandated fee. I suggest you do some further research,

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

Try re-reading the post. I never said it was a FCC or Governmental regulatory fee. I specifically said it was NOT a governmental fee. It is a regulatory fee set down from the teams and their regional sport networks, which Directv passes on the cost (at least some of) to us. It is based on address. So if you're in New York you have over $7 for the fee, Arizona over $2 as I recall, just depends where you live.

Change your package to Preferred Xtra or drop down to Family, Select, or Entertainment. That is how you get rid of the RSNs and associated fee. You work within the options they have.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I will repeat for you, a regulatory fee is a fee set and controlled by an government organization. The FCC is a government organization and the FCC has nothing regarding RSN.  I have reviewed all the FCC regulations and guide lines.  So bottom line, if it is not a government mandate nor is established as a guide by any government organization, for what ever reason, it IS NOT REGULATORY. You gave me the FCC line, prove it. Give me a link and specific reference that shows where the FCC or any regulatory agency has any input, established, guided, etc.  for the RSN.  Odds are, you cannot

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

3 years ago

And I will repeat for you, I NEVER said it was from the FCC or the government, I specifically said it wasn't from them. They don't have exclusive rights to the word "regulatory". Companies can "regulate" fees within their own business as well.

Instead of mincing over words that will have no affect on your bill, call Directv 1-800-531-5000 to change your package. Your having the RSN fee confirms you are in Choice or higher as those are the only packages subject to the RSN fee. If you need to stay in that tier of programming for certain channels, then Preferred Xtra is the best option as base cost is lower than Xtra and removes the RSN fee because no RSNs are in it (also changes out some other sport channels for more non-sport programming).

So instead of complaining about what you cannot change, then take the initiative to change your package to one more suited for you and then Voila! The fee is gone.

Get started...

Ask a new question