AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Jan 26, 2019 9:01 PM

Closed

Want to file a formal complaint concerning Directv/AT&T

I contacted Directv/AT&T today to cancel my Directv effective today.  I was told I could not cancel until around February 21st.  Since when did a service provider have the right to tell me what do?  I have been a customer for 15 years; at one time I would tell people that Directv was wonderful, not anymore.  I expect to terminate whenever I want (I have no contract) and I should receive reimbursement for the days paid after my cancellation date.

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a year ago

@Swright wrote:

Same thing happened to me. When I signed up the rep said that when the promo ended I could call and get a new promo of similar price. I called and asked for a new promo and they offered $5. Off. They were not concerned about losing me as a customer.  When I called to cancel my service they informed me that since they upgraded my equipment a few months earlier that automatically put me in another 2 year contract. I will have to pay $280.for early termination.  Such a dishonest company  

The rep who signed you up gave wrong expectation. No company will not what specials might be available or that you qualify for after your intro special ends. You have to call at that time to see if your account might get anything. Always be prepared to pay full cost when a special ends as there is no guarantee a similar one would happen.

Upgrades of equipment (this includes adding another TV) come with a 24 month agreement. This should have been disclosed by the agent who placed the order. Just like your original order, their system sends out an automatic confirmation detailing the order (level of equipment, any costs, 24 month service agreement, etc.). This is for both yours and their protection. That way if you have any questions, need to modify the order, concerned it is not as expected, or ultimately want to close the order then you can do so before it is installed and activated.

Both agents are required to give the proper information. If they purposely mislead you, then that was their own decision, not the intention of the company. No business is immune from dishonest reps, or those that make honest mistakes. When you call DirecTV you can request to submit complaint on the prior agents, as those two should be held responsible for any misinformation (or lack of important information) provided.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a year ago

@pcmedic2k wrote:

They will insist you received an email (I never did) and that you will be billed till the end of the current cycle. Numerous reps will invite you PM them, chat with them, talk to them on phone so they can fix it, but only get you there to say "just looked at your account and there is nothing I can do". I have been through this process 6 times now and offered a 7th opportunity to contact them, but am sure it will be the same old BULL story.

Billing to end of the current cycle was updated in the terms of service at the beginning of the year. It applies to all of us, so calling 6-7 times is just a waste as you are not an exception to the new rules. I get not the answer you want, but it would be the reality of the situation. Here is the notice from November 2018 for reference:

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
pcmedic2k

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

a year ago

Apparently an 'Ace-Expert' can't read or would have picked up on what I said about not wanting their usual canned response that I can get from DirecTV employees.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a year ago

@pcmedic2k wrote:

Apparently an 'Ace-Expert' can't read or would have picked up on what I said about not wanting their usual canned response that I can get from DirecTV employees.

Just because the answer is not changing, doesn't make it a canned response. You don't have to like the situation, but a valid change was made to the service months ago and you will just have to deal with it.

So asking questions or complaining about a situation over and over, does not get a different answer each time like you would from a "Magic 8 ball".

pcmedic2k

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

a year ago

And giving people the wrong 'canned' answer over and over again does not make it make it become the right answer.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Since when can Direct tv keep charging you for a service they cant provide?   They lost our local channels and then they wont let you cancel your service in the middle of the billing cycle so that they can take your money.   This seems a little shady to me.  So I will check into this.   Some kind of legal thing here.  I never received a copy of their alleged updated cancellation terms.  Especially when a customer doesn't have a contract with them.   I say switch to another Service Provider.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

Same thing happened to me too!   They are making a lot of money off of people and we need to find some recourse for this.  They are taking money from people and wont let them cancel their service

Get started...

Ask a new question