Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Jan 26, 2019 6:45 PM

Vacation Suspension of Directv is no longer free

It sounds like AT&T is getting as bad as the banks now.  A $7.00 a month token fee for suspending your service due to vacation or a vacant summer home location.  In the past with Directv, it was never a charge or an issue with this request, even though I may have had a $150 or $200 credit sitting on my account with them.  Not once did I ever ask for my monies to be credited back.  The fee is a so called maintenance fee for the equipment you may rent.  Even though it is not powered up or doing anything, just sitting there.  I now understand why customers get more and more upset everyday with services like this.  It drives them away.  I run a very successful service business for a large corporation and I understand about the give and take.  Believe me, I give more than I take from my customers.  You have a one shot deal to get a customer to buy your product or service and the key is to keep them for life.  Once they are gone, they are gone and it takes years to get them back.  I've seen it for 35 years and have made my fair share of mistakes.  The great thing about this fee is probably how AT&T came up with it.  Sitting around a round table trying to drum up what they think is a legitimate charge, even though it brings no value to the customer but gets more monies out of the customer without having to do something.  I'm sure it was inputted in the fine print that they sent me in the mail, but who really reads those things.  I feel bad for the AT&T customer service people.  The first one I spoke to could not explain it to me and I waited on hold to speak to a supervisor with no feedback for 20 minutes.  Finally I hung up and called again.  The next person was very nice and pleasant and he explained it the best he could.  As I told him, I have to make a business decision even though it's a token charge for nothing in return.  I've always looked at the value of something and this doesn't bring anything.  AT&T, Verizon and others are a very profitable business with a vision like no other for what potential services they can bring in the future with transferring information.  I have worked at their facilities and most of them are unoccupied as it does not take many people to operate these facilities.  This is why I own their stock, but I own it because of the future and of course the dividends they pay.  Now I question their integrity of how they achieve their financial goals.  As I told the last customer representative, I have to make a decision to keep using the services or not.  I always look at getting business as 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing.  So when I and others leave in the future, big corporations need to rethink how they go to business.  Is this what they want to be remembered for and why they lost so many customers?  

Responses

• 

1 Message

4 weeks ago

Interesting post - thanks. I'm curious tho, why would you question their integrity? They fully disclose the charges to maintain your account, then you can decide whether it's worth it to you or not. That's the basis for mostly all B2C transactions: stay on if you want, leave if you don't. Do you really think there is no cost to holding open your account, whether you choose to utilize it or not? Of course there is. And if it's under $7/month to AT&T, then they are making money. Last time I checked, they are a for-profit corp.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

DTV has had this fee but didn't charge it, AT&T decide to change that.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.8K Messages

@bcrunnerman

Yes the fee is new since AT&T acquired DirecTV. That is the only change to how suspensions work. If anyone else needs to know how a suspension works: https://support.directv.com/account-management/2430 (plus the new $7 monthly vacation hold of course).

Though the post was a year ago, the suspension options haven't changed further.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.