Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Mon, Nov 27, 2017 5:33 PM

Retention department

I recently canceled my account due to the "loyalty" department unwillingness to work with my requests to lower my bill and allow me to place my account on hold. I've been a Direct TV customer for over 5 years and would consider continuing with my service if my requests could be met. 

Is there a retention department that works with a customer's requests to retain them as a customer?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 years ago

@Morgancontessa

Agent denying request to speak to supervisor or even transfer you to the cancellation department if you requested to cancel is very wrong. Unless a supervisor overhears that to take action, the recourse is to callback and get the next available agent. When calling back definitely submit complaint on the prior agent.

If you want cost lowered, review your services. Check the channels you watch and see if they may now be in lower costing package then they used to be or perhaps what you watch has changed since you got your current package. There is even Preferred Xtra for those that watch little to no sports (only available over the phone). Check to see if you use all TVs on the account. Look over any optional services you may have to see if they are worth it for you right now. Package can be raised and lowered at any time so gives you flexibility if you only desire a higher package for certain channels such as just for the new season of a show or when at home using TV more (as many do during the winter).

Certainly when you next speak with DirecTV see if you might qualify for any discounts, just remember they are a temporary perk. Pay TV is a luxury entertainment service. So they charge for what it is worth, especially with the high cost the networks charge TV providers to carry them. Would be nice if they could lower the costs, but in no way are they required to do so. They are a business after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

11 months ago

@GaryDHunter 

Sorry you have trouble believing this is true. AT&T has changed it so you can no longer change the service address just by calling and requesting it. They now only change the service address with an official move order. So if you want different locals while in an RV, especially if you travel outside your home area's spot beam where your normal locals would not be delivered anyway, you will need to use a regular over-the-air (OTA) antenna. Alternatively using options like internet on your smart phone (if within range of cell towers) to access that information.

With that change at the service level, and their new (but not recommended) Genie-2 (HS17) that is a Client only system, they are pushing for that RVs go on their own traveler's package. Though it gives the option of DNS channels (national feed the local affiliates get their shows from), this doesn't support local info (weather/news) viewing.

And as a caution, DirecTV is starting to shutdown the last of their MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds beginning April 2019. As that goes through everyone will need MPEG-4 (SD and HD capable) setups in order to use the service. Many RV installs use older MPEG-2 receiving dish setups so will need to update equipment in order to continue using DirecTV service.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

3 years ago

Sure.  Call DirecTV at 1 800 531 5000 and ask for "Retentions".  Of course, since you already cancelled, you're no longer a customer for them to "retain".  

But have you been contact by DirecTV sales?  Often, after a customer cancels, all sorts of "please come back" phone calls happen.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

No, I never received any phone calls from a sales or retention representative. Pretty surprising.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

My service was cancelled at midnight today. Are you able to have to retention department contact me?

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

3 years ago

I'm not a DirecTV employee, so no.  Try calling 1 800 531 5000 and ask for "Retentions" at the voice prompt.  Good luck. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

3 years ago

This is a public customer to customer forum.

Before canceling you call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and speak to their retention/loyalty department to discuss the situation. Lowering your bill is not a guarantee. Sometimes new specials may be available, sometimes not. You can always look at lowering your subscribed services, even temporarily until back within your budget.

And account may be put into a voluntary suspension (on hold). It requires you to either have balance on account paid to $0, or to be on auto bill pay for it to start. It is for a maximum of 6 months within a 12 month period (you have to be an active customer at least half a year after all). Any existing service agreement is suspended for the same time, so does not continue counting down until active again. At end of suspension period account automatically comes back on, cannot have it suspended indefinitely.

If you are fully canceled, as opposed to a last day of service set, then you will need to call Driectv and discuss what reconnect offers they 'might' have.

Pay TV is a luxury, sometimes the only way to get a lower bill is to lower the services. Discounts should never be expected or relied on to afford service, just enjoyed for the temporary time you have them.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Called 5000 number and they refused to transfer me to supervisor when they could not solve my problem.  Then refused to transfer me sta re  side or to Retention Dept. Custermer Care my foot.  It maay be time to look at cable.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

2 years ago

@RSMdsm wrote:

Called 5000 number and they refused to transfer me to supervisor when they could not solve my problem.  Then refused to transfer me sta re  side or to Retention Dept. Custermer Care my foot.  It maay be time to look at cable.

Just call back and say "cancel" at the voice prompt. That will get you to the right department. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.5K Messages

2 years ago

@RSMdsm

Refusing a supervisor is against the rules of any company I am aware of. A supervisor might be unavailable if they are helping other customers (high call volume), possibly with some in a meeting. You should never be denied a supervisor, though there may be a wait depending on how busy they are.

You cannot simply request to speak to retention. If you are requesting to cancel, then they have to transfer you there as that is the only department who handles cancellations, but are not supposed to be transferred there for other reasons. So when you call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and get the voice system just say "cancel" which should route you there. But any live agent can transfer you there if you are wanting to discuss canceling your account.

Alternatively, you can start a thread here if you would like to discuss whatever problem you have with other customers. We have a vast amount of knowledge on programming, general billing options, and can even give guidance on upgrades or technical issues.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I am the phone with a rep whom denied my request to speak to a manger or cancel/ retention Dept I am paying 140 for direct tv and 120 for att broadband they should be combined or lowered this is ridiculous. The poor customer service on top of the high bill adds insult to injury.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.7K Messages

2 years ago

if the bill is more than you want to pay, or cant pay, then cancel

the price is stated on the website. be prepared to pay full price

if they keep giving people credits, then they will have to raise the price for everyone else

its a luxury, not an entitlement

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I'm not requesting refunds, discounts or cancellation. I'm simply trying to change my local channels to a different city and the 500 number goes over seas. These people are poorly trained and can't do it.  I have repeatedly tried to get a difference person in US to help me but they refuse to give me a supervisor or US agent in US.

I have already changed to Cable at my home and would love to switch my motorhome to something else. Before ATT took them over we had no problems. Service was great and they as always were able to help us.  ATTs failure to offer US based phone support will be the beginning to the end of their company.  I won't  buy anything the says ATT, including their stock.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

2 years ago

That is because the FCC will not allow DTV or any other provider to give you any locals not in your DMA(Designated Marketing Area)  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Why am I getting these messages to my email? I didn’t message direct tv nor
did I change services