Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Sep 11, 2018 4:42 PM

Promotional Scam

I received TWO phone calls today from what appeared to be the Direct TV number.  They indicated that they had a promotional offer for me of $79.99/month if I prepaid $320 on an e-bay card.  Told to call back and used Promotional number DTV4781J and call 1-888-258-0681.  What made is sound legit is that they had my account information, address, etc.  It sounds like a scam, but wanted to check directly with Direct TV.  they said with this promotion, I would receive all the premium channels for two years at this lower price. 

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

2 years ago

It's a scam.  Lots of posts here.  Happens with many companies, not just DirecTV.   It's all too easy for hackers to get access to things like account numbers, giving them just enough info to sound legit.  Don't fall for it. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Just had the same scam attempt. They Called from the old ATT number 1-800-288-2020. Offered $69.99 a month for 2 years with add’l channels. Became suspicious when they said I had to purchase an Amazon gift card to pay the first 4 months in advance ($280) and then call 1-888-391-7528 & use promo code #DTV002941. Nope - not going to happen!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I RECEIVED TEXT TO CALL 844-xxx-xxxx FOR AN ATT E-BAY PROM TO PAY $990.00 ON E-BAY CARD OR DEBIT CARD AND RECEIVE 6 MONTHS OF MY DIRECTV SERVICE AND 3 YEARS AT $165.00 PER MONTH. THEN TO CALL 855-xxx-xxxx & PRESS #1 WITH A CODE OF DTV746 AND MAKE PAYMENT WITHIN 3 HOURS AND I WOULD RECEIVE A $200 VISA CARD. GREAT PROMO IF IT IS LEGITIMATE! PLEASE ADVISE !!!

WILLIAM D. W[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

a year ago

@WESSINGERGROUP wrote:

I RECEIVED TEXT TO CALL 844-xxx-xxxx FOR AN ATT E-BAY PROM TO PAY $990.00 ON E-BAY CARD OR DEBIT CARD AND RECEIVE 6 MONTHS OF MY DIRECTV SERVICE AND 3 YEARS AT $165.00 PER MONTH. THEN TO CALL 855-xxx-xxxx & PRESS #1 WITH A CODE OF DTV746 AND MAKE PAYMENT WITHIN 3 HOURS AND I WOULD RECEIVE A $200 VISA CARD. GREAT PROMO IF IT IS LEGITIMATE! PLEASE ADVISE !!!

WILLIAM D. W[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

SCAM! SCAM!  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

6/25/19-just received a phone call from an india sounding person, said Directv/ATT had a promotion going, pay $300 dollars and for two years my directv bill would be $75 and i would get all premium channels such as HBO, etc. Same number as the one mentioned above 800-531-2020. My husband contacted me because they contacted him first, he told them to call me. I looked up the 800 number and of course, IT'S A SCAM.......!!!  They knew all our information to, that's scary. Spring Hill, Florida

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

11/28/19 recieved a call offering to lower my monthly bill to 69.99 a month and include the premium movie channels. Also would get an Amazon gift card for 50 dollars.  I said first why are you calling me on Thanksgiving? Multiple times he would say happy Thanksgiving.  He said if I prepaid 2 months I'd get the deal. He would give me the promotion number and code. I told him to go pound sand and lose my number. 

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

I got taken by this scam just 3 days ago. I got 2 different phone calls from reps stated they were with AT&T and doing the same promo. Unfortunately for me I bought the $300 GC and provided them the numbers. When I called Direct TV the next day asking when my premium channels will be loaded they were not familiar with the promotion and told me that they never offer a promo past 1 year. I WAS LIVID and still am. I could have saved myself if I didn't provide the card numbers but I was trying to set my bill up to pay a set fee of $75 by paying the upfront $300; and usually I just hang up. But the cliche is true, everybody play the fool sometimes. I pray the scammers get 100 fold return on the financial damage they have caused people with this scam.