Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Sep 24, 2019 10:30 PM

Local Channels

I have a hard time understanding why Sinclair Broadcasting would be able to remove our local channels on Directv programing during the negotiations.  Those local station by law should be free and would be if I were to use an Antenna but because I choose to be a Directv customer and subscribe to their TV service I would be punished because  and they were on their channels list.  If my contract with At&t is for two  years and the channel lineup is changed either by Sinclair Broadcasting for ABC, CBS. NBC and Fox and effecting the consumer who is then unable to view those stations... funny that it is also at the same time that the new seasons begin.  It does make one think about pulling from Directv as a customer and get an antenna hook up for my local channels and purchase my own DVR. There are other options now as well as the FireStick, HULU, Netflix, Disney, streaming, etc. The almighty dollar hits the good payout at the top and while those that try to enjoy a few movies, series, etc get hit while two big companies fight it out. Bad form!!  Please keep our local channels for news and weather at least.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

Your Over The Air (OTA) channels are free- as long as you receive them over the air, direct from your local station. When accessing through a pay service, however, that service has to pay a fee to the OTA provider in order to pickup and retransmit that channel to its subscribers. These agreements are limited and have to be renegotiated when they end. Of course, each side tries to get the best deal possible, and this can lead to a stalemate. Then the OTA provider can elect to stop providing the feed until a new agreement is reached. It happens all too often, and affects all pay services at one time or another. This fluidity is why no pay TV provider guarantees to carry any specific channel; it's not always in their control, so no guarantee is possible.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

a year ago

Exactly what @davemize  said. I personally watch ota for locals no matter what pay tv service I have since that's the ONLY way to ensure the locals will always be there.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question