Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jan 6, 2017 1:45 AM

KMBC not working on Direct TV

Why dont I have channel 9 kmbc!  What is the deal it is a local channel, when will this be fixed?K

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

4 years ago

@ddenker,

Crazy contract dispute!

Realize that these disputes eventually affect all service providers, not just DirecTV, so switching providers isn't the cure. It's station
owner greed that's causing this, not DirecTV. Ask yourself why you should pay more to receive stations that broadcast over-the-air for
free? And be sure to also lean on the local station to settle this dispute. Fortunately DirecTV has a good track record for resolving
these disputes before the station is actually dropped.

I'm always dismayed when these disputes arise and take away a local channel at how quick people are to blame DirecTV, Dish Network,
Comcast, etc. It's really the local station owners that folks should be lobbying. They're the ones asking for us to pay more and more
every year to view stations that broadcast on our public airwaves for free. Why should we be held hostage every time a local station owner
wants more of our money? The FCC and Congress have talked about fixing this mess but have, of course, done nothing. The easiest fix would
be to allow service providers like DirecTV to carry an out-of-area station, but current FCC regulations don't allow that.

http://directvpromise.com

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

You are holding consumers of AT&T, AT&T and sponsors of your station hostage.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

It is the station that removed their feed.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

4 years ago

It maybe because of a contract dispute and it is up to the station when it will come back either by signing a new contract or just returning the signal to DTV but they want you as a hostage until they get more money for their free OTA programs.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a year ago

KMBC is owned by Hearst, which has pulled their channels from DirecTV to leverage for higher costs.

Nothing to fix. The channel will be back when Hearst returns the feed, which will be when negotiations complete. Until then try a regular antenna to get the free broadcast on your TV.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

• 

5 Messages

having same problem now. WDSU which is a NBC affiliate , Hurst wants more money. It’s been about 3 days

• 

5 Messages

Are you having problems with KMBC constantly freezing since it has been reinstated? It is so bad I cannot watch it.

• 

2 Messages

Not having any problems with KMBC right now....ONLY problem we are having is the "loss of complete television reception because of the snow on the roof."....I.E....LOST SIGNAL.......LOST SIGNAL HAPPENS EVERY TIME IT SNOWS OR RAINS WITH OR WITHOUT WIND.....(Edited per community guidelines)-POOR RECEPTION.....AM DEFINITELY cancelling AT&T as soon as contract over...NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH LOSING RECEPTION OR SIGNAL WHEN ON SPECTRUM - JUST COST TOO MUCH.....HAVE HAD A CHANGE OF HEART....WOULD RATHER HAVE RECEPTION THAN NOT SO WILL PAY THE PRICE....

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

Haven't seen any issues mentioned with that exact affiliate (outside of the negotiation themselves by parent company Hearst hat recently completed and back in 2017).

Is it just freezing or doing anything else (stuttering, pixelating, etc.)?

Is there an error message?

Are there any other channels (locals or package channels) having issues?

What model box?

Is coax finger tight?

Have you tried a red button reset or unplugging power for at least 20 seconds?

If in the end everything else is good, so just the one channel having the problem, then the issue most likely stems from the feed from KMBC to DirecTV before it goes into the broadcast stream with all the other channels. You would need to call DirecTV to see if they are already tracking on a known issue, or if they need to submit this example to their broadcast center techs. If the issue is on the sending side, as opposed to the DirecTV side receiving it, then you may need to contact KMBC for further info.

• 

5 Messages

Just to complicate things I am using AT&T now. It freezes, no pixelation, no stuttering, then comes back. This happens in my house on APTV and wifi as well as on my iPad using LTE. KMBC is the only channel that does this. All others are fine.

I have tried uninstalling the app. Resetting my modem (I did not think that would work since it happens on LTE too)

I am convinced it has something to do with the feed for that station since it is only that station. Chat support is worthless on this.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

If you have "AT&T TV NOW" (what used to be called "Directv Now") which is streaming only, then I would follow the links above and post in the correct forum. This is the forum for DirecTV (satellite), so though AT&T owns both (and U-Verse as well), the services do not connect with each other.

• 

5 Messages

@Juniper I originally opened it in that group and no response. I expanded my research and found this thread. I realize it is a different service but thought I might give it a try to find an answer.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

@Quatrochi

Gotcha. This thread was mainly regarding when that channel was going through negotiations, or I should say the company that owns the affiliate (Hearst).

You can check https://www.att.com/tvpromise/ to review any negotiations in your area, just make sure to use the drop down box and select the correct provider since agreements are per each of the TV mediums that AT&T owns.

Fair enough expanding your research if nobody responded. But I would suggest perhaps posting again in the original thread to bring it in the current listings again, just so that the responses you get are specific to your service. Those browsing the DirecTV forum, are less likely to have AT&T TV NOW service as well.

You mentioned chat support, if this was on the main AT&T website, double check www.atttvnow.com for support specific to that service. Unfortunately their support is online only, not having a contact number like the AT&T number for all their other services (or the DirecTV specific one that is still used).

Hopefully another user can chime in with guidance on your specific service. Good luck.

Get started...

Ask a new question