Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
J

• 

5 Messages

Thu, Oct 15, 2020 8:51 PM

Issues returning equipment

We live in a remote area. It is not possible for us to get to a FedEx or a UPS location in order to send back the DirecTV equipment. Doing so would mean several hours of driving. 

For the past several weeks we have been in contact with DirecTV customer service trying to resolve this issue. We have made numerous requests for a box and shipping label that would allow us to send back the receiver. 

We have had at least seven different customer service representatives promise to send a box and shipping label. None have arrived. Another representative told us there was no need to send it back.

The person we spoke with today was the most disrespectful of all. She told is it was our responsibility to get it back and to "drop it off" at a local USPS office. The DirecTV emails about returning equipment made no mention of an address to send the package to, so how could we?

We have requested to speak to a customer service supervisor multiple times, thinking they might actually be able or willing to help us, but we were denied every time. I have never seen such horrible customer service in my life. We have wasted an obscene amount of time and effort trying to accomplish what should have been a simple and easy task.

At this point, I've lost count of how many times we've been lied to and just want to get this ordeal over with. Having someone from customer service actually follow through and help would be appreciated more than I can do justice with words.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

a month ago

I get you have tried a supervisor multiple times. Sounds like it may have been through front-line agents, which many are outsourced right now so may not have traditional supervisor. That is why I suggest speaking to retention as they are considered "supervisory" to other departments, and should be easier getting one of their supervisors if needed.

If the order was processed successfully, they would have a outbound tracking number to reference. So it can be determined if it is an issue during shipping or on DirecTV's end in the first place.

Thread from 2017 (which I participated in) is not as relevant because that would be during the time they were changing to the new process as set by AT&T which had a lot of problems at the start. Those exact issues should have been resolved, but I wouldn't be surprised if during the pandemic if old issues might have cropped back up.

I agree that if even going to a retention supervisor this cannot be resolved, then a BBB complaint would be the next step. That tends to take it to the corporate level, which might even get contact back to discuss the situation with you. Hope that gets you over whatever hurdle is causing the mess to begin with. Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.4K Messages

2 months ago

What are the receivers model numbers?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

We have one model HR54-700.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

2 months ago

The HR54 is still returnable.

If you are over 10 miles away from a participating shipping location, then the agent should have used the old process. They send you a prepaid return kit by FedEx to your physical service address, which you send back by USPS (not UPS).

Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel". Hopefully that results in a more experienced agent to resolve this.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

The claim has been made that boxes are no longer being sent due to COVID-19. Why not? Any time anything goes wrong any more it is because of COIVD...

do not have anyone willing or able to drive the receiver to a UPS or FedEx office. Nor do I want to end up paying for this equipment.

IF boxes are no longer being sent out then simply give me an address to return the receiver to and I'll ship it out myself. Once it arrives, you're free to take whatever measures you deem necessary in order to "sanitize" it.

We have been trying to get this done since early August. And, from what the customer service rep told us yesterday, our return deadline ends in November. If this continues on much longer, I am going to talk with a (Edited per community guidelines).

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

24K Messages

a month ago

@jf_oz 

Covid has naturally been causing shipping delays, but haven't heard of them not sending return kits at all because of it.

If you have a participating location (FedEx/The UPS Store) within 10 miles, then you go there no matter what. But if over 10 miles agents are supposed to order the return kit for you.

Address is never provided. They will not have an option for customers to pay for their own return shipping (or send inappropriate packages to them).

Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel". An experienced retention agent (or even requesting one of their supervisors if needed) should resolve the order.

If by any chance the non-return fee (NRF) hits the account first, the charge gets reversed upon the boxes coming in (usually within 48hrs of delivery).

• 

5 Messages

a month ago

I appreciate the advice from everyone, but just can't seem to get a resolution. I don't mean to be disrespectful in any way; this is just such a frustrating situation.

As mentioned before, I have requested a supervisor while speaking to at least 5 or 6 different agents. They flat out deny the request every time and keep insisting that they can handle it.

I do understand how COVID complicates things, but I am really skeptical that is what is happening in this case. 

Here is a link to a 2017 thread. If you skim through it, multiple people mentioned having the same issue as me. You can find tons of threads and comments like this online and nearly all happened before covid-19.

I have tried the "cancel" approach multiple times; having placed at least a dozen calls at this point. I have yet to find one of the more experienced agents.

I am going to take the approach one person suggested in the thread linked above. I'm going to file a complaint with the better business bureau.

Thanks again for trying to help. I really do appreciate it.

• 

5 Messages

a month ago

The BBB complaint ended up getting the situation resolved in just a few days.

If you're in a similar situation, and all else fails, consider filing a complaint.

Get started...

Ask a new question