Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jul 14, 2017 8:45 PM

Is this a scam

Want to know if anyone else is getting this call. Promise to reduce your DirecTV and att bill by paying with a amazon.com prepaid card

Responses

spoom2

ACE - Master

• 

9.6K Messages

4 years ago

This is a user to user help forum. It is not an AT&T support site. I am not an AT&T employee, read the ACE's disclaimer at the bottom of this post

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.8K Messages

4 years ago

Yes anytime they ask for payments with a gift card or other non-traceable means like western union, money gram it is a scam, they also spoof caller id by using DTVs phone number and in some cases have your account info and it is not limited to DTV.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25K Messages

4 years ago

YES! That is a SCAM. Requiring you to pay upfront with a card, especially for several months up front, is a BIG SCAM right now. Prepaid gift cards are an "untraceable" type of currency as opposed to a normal debit/credit card or check.

Directv, like most companies, do not require special payment or even advanced payment, just to get a discount. Normally you just need to not be past due otherwise discounts are not qualified (not rewarding someone who can't keep up on their bill), but you can discuss lowering the bill at any time.

Good verifying instead of straight up falling for it like others.

Does this sound familiar: "I am prince of Nigeria, need to get money out of country, pay me transfer tax I tell you and I will pay you a greater amount"? Paying unknown entity under the "promise" of getting more back is the foundation of these scams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com

Get started...

Ask a new question