Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
J

• 

4 Messages

Wed, Aug 5, 2020 6:25 PM

Is the representative at Walmart a scam?

We were approached in Walmart by a Directv rep who stated he could reduce our monthly Directv bill.  We paid $19.95 and have an installation scheduled for Friday.  We were also promised free equipment and a $125 Walmart gift card.  He said once the installation has taken place, then we would return our equipment to an AT&T store.

I am contacting you to see if this is correct.  The plan would basically cost us the same each month but he said there was no monthly lease charges for the equipment or the HDDVR service (Genie).  I don't want to go through this hassle if that's not correct.  

Responses

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

We were approached in Walmart by a Directv rep who stated he could reduce our monthly Directv bill.  We paid $19.95 and have an installation scheduled for Friday.  We were also promised free equipment and a $125 Walmart gift card.  He said once the installation has taken place, then we would return our equipment to an AT&T store.

I am contacting you to see if this is correct.  The plan would basically cost us the same each month but he said there was no monthly lease charges for the equipment or the HDDVR service (Genie).  I don't want to go through this hassle if that's not correct.  
Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Walmart representative stating he can reduce our monthly Directv bill
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

duplicate thread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

2 months ago

That was a 3rd party reseller. However, what that rep did was perform fraud.

Those 3rd parties are not allowed to manage existing accounts. What that rep did was encourage you to sign up a new account so they could get commission and have you cancel your old account, loosing any loyalty you had built up, grandfathered options, and possibly pay an early cancellation fee. Also once caught up, those specials on the new account disqualify because you aren't getting an intro special.

Call DirecTV, cancel the fraud order and submit complaint.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Thank you!  I will call DirecTV right now.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

22.9K Messages

2 months ago

And in case you were looking into equipment options, post back with the models of your current boxes. Best to get guidance on that before placing an upgrade order. That way you can get what is best for your personal setup, as opposed to any agent that might go overboard and try to replace more than is needed.

Get started...

Ask a new question