Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
L

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Sep 17, 2020 12:22 AM

I have a HR44 and want a HR54+C61K for 4K

Will directv allow 2 Genie on my account? I currently have 8 receivers. But they are old and none of them can handle 4K.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

DirecTV only allows a single Genie on the account as works as a server.

There are no 4K receivers, only a 4K Client (C61K). A 4K upgrade would swap the HR44 for the HR54, but you would lose the recordings of course. And though you gain the couple 4K channels (plus access to some 4K PPVs), Clients are a downgrade to receivers otherwise.

What are the models of all boxes on the account? That will give you a better comparison for your options.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a month ago

DTV had problems with the minis connecting to more then one Genie so they said only one Genie.  The only  DTV receiver that can output 4K over HDMI is the C61K mini.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

It is more of a technical issue. They tried having 2 Genies in the beginning during testing of the original HR34. But they couldn't get two Genies (servers) to work together. So they don't allow it on the account because they couldn't get them to play well even if only a pair of them.

HDDVRs have 2 tuners and 500GB recording space (since HR22, it was 320GB before that). Clients have no tuners, no recording space, cannot work without the main Genie, and cannot have full individual settings as they are not receivers. That is why HDDVRs are better than Clients in essentially 99% of cases. The only time a Client is useful is for the limited 4K content or if you have a need for a wireless model, as there is no receiver that has either of those 2 options.

If ever offered, do NOT get the Genie-2 (HS17). This is a server tower (doesn't go on a TV) and only allows Clients. So it forbids all other receivers, regardless if HDDVR or HD non-DVR which is a huge downgrade in flexibility. I am holding onto the fleeting hope that they do not continue with a Client only setup. My Genie and 2 HDDVRs gives me 9 tuners, more than the hard cap of 7 the Genie-2 has.

Also remember you are not truly "buying" HDDVRs anymore. Any cost you pay is a one-time lease cost (outside of delivery/install). DirecTV went to lease only upon launching the original Genie. Plus in the old days the option of buying HDDVRs were $499 for owning them. Less than that (normally $199 if you didn't have a free upgrade), was that lease cost. So DirecTV technically owns the box. Though HR44 (as of earlier this year) and earlier are non-returnable as they are moving forward with their latest generation.

So Genie (2nd/3rd generation HR44/HR54) on 1 TV with HDDVRs on your others is the most capable and reliable setup. Until there is more true 4K content, and an actual 4K receiver (not simply a Client), a 4K upgrade is only for those that want to brag about being in the prototype days.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a month ago

No DTV only allows 1 Genie per account.  What are the other receivers model numbers?

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Wow I thought Directv would allow it by now... I have bought HD-DVRs over the years ranging from HR22,HR23,HR24 to HR44's.

The Genie clients are such a terrible experience for me I returned them.

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Talked to Directv Technician. It is possible to have multiple Genie IRDs, but DTV won't allow it.  It is possible to purchase another Genie from external vendor.

Once a client is married to a Genie, it will stick to that server.

I am stuck with existing HD-DVR's until they fail, hopefully DTV will drop ship when they do.

(edited)

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a month ago

As stated DTV will not activate another Genie on the account no matter where you get it and that person is wrong as that was the problem, the minis keep changing their connection.

DTV ships replacement receivers regardless of model number.

TexasBrit

ACE - Expert

• 

16.7K Messages

a month ago

the tech is partially correct. With the HR44 and HR54 genies, the genie clients are not tied to a particular Genie server so if you get any sort of interruption the clients don't know which server they are supposed to connect to and it's a nightmare. I am speaking from personal experience since I was one of the team testing out multiple server configurations. My understanding is that with the HS17these problems were partially solved but that Directv decided it was not worth trying to solve  them completely and so will not allow activation of mujltiple genie servers.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

@LsAlanPi 

They tried multiple Genie receivers (a.k.a. IRDs) in testing, but had problems. So they do not allow more than one to be active on the account. Doesn't matter where you get it from.

Getting from a 3rd party vendor does not change it as DirecTV will not activate it because of those issues. And that is not "purchasing" it as they are not owned devices. Still leased with 24 month agreement upon activation.

That "technician" to talked to was wrong.

At least the regular Genie line (HR34, HR44, HR54) does work with other regular DVRs (currently thru HR24). So you can mix and match. Only the Genie-2 (HS17) forbids them, only allowing Clients.

Get started...

Ask a new question